[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline distimpson
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

135.00 Gold
View Inventory
kansasmeteorite
WWW Awards

pulse star, garrett, whites, home made,...
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 03:56:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Its pretty easy to blame the government, you can say anything and they don?t care.  But my contrary and practical nature says you should consider the other side of the equation too.  Very often (maybe always) the gov just reacts.  I just helped a friend sell his life long collection of petrified wood.  Many of the areas he was able to collect 20-50 years ago are now closed.  The recurrent story, a few entrepreneurs went in with a back hoe and truck and the place was closed to all.  The gov was just reacting to complaints by the same folks that had searched the areas for years and carried out pieces by hand.  A relatively recent case involved calico-pyrite petrified wood, I?m not a fan of wood but that stuff was magnificent, people were grabbing and selling it for the copper!  What I?m trying to say in my awkward way, if you push something hard enough you will get a reaction.

As for the tv show, I saw the pilot, it was filmed across the street from our museum.  Easy to remember as our museum sign went missing around the same time, what a coinkidink.  There was stuff in that show stated as matter of fact that was just not true.  Was there something in the show that played a role in blm policy? Or did people descend on the area (=the push hard enough effect)?

You can stick with privately owned land, as far as I know meteorites are still under control of the land owner (or lessee in some circumstances) and not the gov.  Get permission, don't be "that guy", try to have fun (i'm not usually so bossy).  Kiss

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18534.msg121207.html#msg121207

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 04:29:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I for one I Really don't beleive the finds found on OUR the Uninted States Property Beleongs the the Damn Government.

I geuss I'm Stupid and have not Learned Yet!   They need to Spank me some more?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18534.msg121223.html#msg121223

Offline autotune
Pull Tab

Intellectual Honesty Is Golden
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites: GMT & 6000 Di Pro Minelab GPExtreme
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 05:36:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Public lands belong to the people.  Less government is better.  Shouldn't the BLM be re-assigned to protect our borders from the cartels?
In the UK if your find is of historic importance they pay you for it.  If they have one you get to keep it.

Autotune

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18534.msg121240.html#msg121240

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:05:59 pm by seldom »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 06:40:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

One time I came about this far ""  One  Time I cam this far from  getting  a $700.00 ticket.  It was all about cooking Hot Dogs! There was No a Burn open fire restriction.   I Had a little BBQ On Black Top Parking Lot, Concrete Retainer Wall to the North. No Winds.

Some Crone, came along and said he was going to give me a ticket for having a  Coal Fire.

I told him Blast away.   He said you need to put out the fire. I Said When my Brats are don I will be happy to put the fire out.

He Got All Pee Pee Hearted and called the Stupid Visor.  Not One But Two came out and we had a Hoot.

As it Tuned out It was NOT doing Open Bun but Contained Burn Char Coal in Container. Lucky For Me I had a Extra Pack of Six Brats!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18534.msg121249.html#msg121249

Offline Goldfinger
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug 2
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 06:43:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by distimpson
Its pretty easy to blame the government, you can say anything and they don?t care.  But my contrary and practical nature says you should consider the other side of the equation too.  Very often (maybe always) the gov just reacts.  I just helped a friend sell his life long collection of petrified wood.  Many of the areas he was able to collect 20-50 years ago are now closed.  The recurrent story, a few entrepreneurs went in with a back hoe and truck and the place was closed to all.  The gov was just reacting to complaints by the same folks that had searched the areas for years and carried out pieces by hand.  A relatively recent case involved calico-pyrite petrified wood, I?m not a fan of wood but that stuff was magnificent, people were grabbing and selling it for the copper!  What I?m trying to say in my awkward way, if you push something hard enough you will get a reaction.

As for the tv show, I saw the pilot, it was filmed across the street from our museum.  Easy to remember as our museum sign went missing around the same time, what a coinkidink.  There was stuff in that show stated as matter of fact that was just not true.  Was there something in the show that played a role in blm policy? Or did people descend on the area (=the push hard enough effect)?

You can stick with privately owned land, as far as I know meteorites are still under control of the land owner (or lessee in some circumstances) and not the gov.  Get permission, don't be "that guy", try to have fun (i'm not usually so bossy).  Kiss

As someone who used to collect petrified wood, the commercial miners ruined it for everyone else. Like you stated, they all went in with backhoes and dug some of the areas up. It's no wonder some areas are off limits these days.

My ideas about why the BLM is claiming ownership of meteorites are pure speculation. But no doubt something happened.

Steve

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18534.msg121547.html#msg121547

Offline bkjepp
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 09:20:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I found my first meteorite in gold basin last weekend while there for the first time, I also found there are a lot of hot rocks that are not meteorites.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18534.msg129166.html#msg129166

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: