[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline supeindesu
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Spain
Referrals: 0

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 07:49:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Tell your cousin that a meteorite that hits a house (those commonly named as "hammers"), have a bigger value in the market compared to the same type of meteorite that falls in a field (newspaper reports, pictures, etc, are good as a prove).

My meteorites came from the best sources, even one of them has been present in the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 (the "North West Africa 5000" from the Hup? Collection), and I'll happily sell a few pieces even for half of the price. Meteorite market is quite changeable, and there's a lot of meteorites ready to sell, mostly chondrites at really low prices, irons as Campo del Cielo are also very cheap, pallasites like Brenham are also at good prices (not as cheap as the others... but cheap compared to other pallasites). The kings are lunar and martian meteorites, but they have also big fluctuations in the price (the most ever asked for was 1million$/gram, but as I can remember the highest price paid was 650.000$/gram).

The price not only depends on the weight, there's also the meteorite type:
Chondrites: Ones with bigger, most deffined, most colourfull chondrules worth more... but that also deppends about it's age... weight... TKW (total known weight), etc
Achondrites: Age, weight, TKW...
Irons: TKW, weight, ...
Pallasites: TKW, clarity of the olivine crystals, weight, ...
Mesosiderites: TKW, ...
And even so, it they have a witnessed fall, the price is higher... if it's a "hammer", the price is higher... If it's sliced... or prepared for microscope..., if it have fussion crust or not.... if it have flow lines.... if it have thumbprints and how many... As you see it's a very complex market...

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6343.msg53711.html#msg53711

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 08:04:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by supeindesu
Tell your cousin that a meteorite that hits a house (those commonly named as "hammers"), have a bigger value in the market compared to the same type of meteorite that falls in a field (newspaper reports, pictures, etc, are good as a prove).

My meteorites came from the best sources, even one of them has been present in the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 (the "North West Africa 5000" from the Hup? Collection), and I'll happily sell a few pieces even for half of the price. Meteorite market is quite changeable, and there's a lot of meteorites ready to sell, mostly chondrites at really low prices, irons as Campo del Cielo are also very cheap, pallasites like Brenham are also at good prices (not as cheap as the others... but cheap compared to other pallasites). The kings are lunar and martian meteorites, but they have also big fluctuations in the price (the most ever asked for was 1million$/gram, but as I can remember the highest price paid was 650.000$/gram).

The price not only depends on the weight, there's also the meteorite type:
Chondrites: Ones with bigger, most deffined, most colourfull chondrules worth more... but that also deppends about it's age... weight... TKW (total known weight), etc
Achondrites: Age, weight, TKW...
Irons: TKW, weight, ...
Pallasites: TKW, clarity of the olivine crystals, weight, ...
Mesosiderites: TKW, ...
And even so, it they have a witnessed fall, the price is higher... if it's a "hammer", the price is higher... If it's sliced... or prepared for microscope..., if it have fussion crust or not.... if it have flow lines.... if it have thumbprints and how many... As you see it's a very complex market...

All the names do not mean a lot, without explanation, as most people do not want to spend a long time looking up these terms, which are fine, as far as they go.

Provenance is more than say-so, do you have paper to back the statements? I am presuming you do, but how do you provide provenance, in turn, if you were to sell pieces?

I have one for you, I found an *object,* on the ice of a creek, many years  ago, it was flat on one side, where it hit the ice, looked like a round, mudball, but was stone hard, any suggestions? It was also in the middle of a wilderness where no one would be committing pranks. I am not saying it was  a meteorite, but, I can not find any other solution.

Everything was frozen, at the time, but no snow.

I noticed you never mentioned *mud* meteorites.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6343.msg53717.html#msg53717

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:12:17 am by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline supeindesu
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Spain

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 09:29:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

If you are interested in meteorites you must study a little about them, first of all to not being scammed by fake dealers.

The way you can provide confidence to the reseller is giving receipts to follow the chain of custody, or at the most, giving a notary certificate. It is the same as antiquities.

I will do a simple guide about meteorites as soon as possible, but to start, there is 3 basic families:
Stony (like rocks), Iron (formed basicaly of iron, and mostly with nickel and so), and Stony-iron (iron-nickel meteorites, with other non-metallic elements), those also subdivide in a few other basic subfamilies:
Stony: (52.3%)
  • Chondrites (51.3%)
  • Achondrites (1%)
Iron: (42.1%)
  • Hexaedrites (12%)
  • Octaedrites (29%)
  • Ataxites (1.1%)
Stony-iron: (5.4%)
  • Pallasites (3.8%)
  • Mesosiderites (1.6%)
The percentages represent, the part above the total of findings.

Do not know what do you call "mud meteorites", maybe this could help you

Please Register or Login

http://igs.indiana.edu/Geology/rocks/armored_mud_balls/index.cfm

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6343.msg53738.html#msg53738

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:40:21 am by supeindesu »
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 10:17:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by supeindesu
If you are interested in meteorites you must study a little about them, first of all to not being scammed by fake dealers.

The way you can provide confidence to the reseller is giving receipts to follow the chain of custody, or at the most, giving a notary certificate. It is the same as antiquities.

I will do a simple guide about meteorites as soon as possible, but to start, there is 3 basic families:

Stony (like rocks), Iron (formed basicaly of iron, and mostly with nickel and so), and Stony-iron (iron-nickel meteorites, with other non-metallic elements), those also subdivide in a few other basic subfamilies:
Stony: (52.3%)
  • Chondrites (51.3%)
  • Achondrites (1%)
Iron: (42.1%)
  • Hexaedrites (12%)
  • Octaedrites (29%)
  • Ataxites (1.1%)
Stony-iron: (5.4%)
  • Pallasites (3.8%)
  • Mesosiderites (1.6%)
The percentages represent, the part above the total of findings.

Do not know what do you call "mud meteorites", maybe this could help you

Please Register or Login

http://igs.indiana.edu/Geology/rocks/armored_mud_balls/index.cfm

OK, I will *screengrab* and save, however, the *mudball* link does not apply, alt5hough interesting, as the thing I found was on ice on the surface, and semi-fired, at least fired hard. It was not red, but milky grey and lumpy, like a hastily formed mud ball, also, one side was flattened WHEN it was soft. It was, in fact ceramic, like a mud ball fired in a campfire.... however, there was no campfire and no other people around, for many miles.

All that does not explain how a ceramic substance, (which was apparently soft, when it hit the ice,) got there, and where it came from.

It had the appearance of grey clay but was rock hard and if tapped, had a ceramic response sound: clink! It was about the size of a small Valencia orange.

I found this about 1964, when clearing brush on my homestead...where it is now, I am not sure, and I am not sure if I still have it, as I have moved about 100 times, since 1964.

The next one I find will go into secure holding, and be much photographed!

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6343.msg54145.html#msg54145

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: