[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline cindersmomTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

white
« on: October 12, 2010, 08:23:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

We are looking for locations to search for meteorites near Las Vegas, any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18490.msg119988.html#msg119988

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:27:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Meteorites fall uniformly across the earth and can be found just about anywhere. Your odds are better in a known strewn field or in open areas without much vegetation. Google Earth can reveal a lot about your area.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18490.msg120069.html#msg120069

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 07:47:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yep! They fall every few minutes around the world.

On any clear night, you should see more then a few every night.

Some make it and some don't.  Most Don't but tons do.

The Equatorial Belt See's the most but they hold no Bounds.

Hell, You probably have a few Million Miro Meteorites on your roof even as we speak.

Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18490.msg120120.html#msg120120

Offline distimpson
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

135.00 Gold
View Inventory
kansasmeteorite
WWW Awards

pulse star, garrett, whites, home made,...
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 12:40:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

you are in a great area for dry lake bed or desert hunting. a rare earth magnet on the end of a stick saves the back. the master of desert hunting Skip Wilson recommends binoculars to scan the area for targets and save some walking. 

Caution! if you are not familiar with desert walking you need to get educated, wild life and other pit falls are present, both human and environment.  If a first timer it is good to go with someone that has done this kind of searching, fossil or artifact hunters if no meteorite hounds.  As always, mind the private property (get permission) and local, state and federal regulations.

If you are new to meteorites it takes a while to get an "eye" for the target.  Try your local museum, if they have a meteorite collection it is a good place to start the process.  Expect to find meteor-wrongs at first, everyone does.  If it sticks to a magnet, put it in the bag, you can always pitch it later (yes a lot of stuff sticks to a mag that is not a meteorite).  I purchased a few meteorites when starting out just for this purpose.

map from

Please Register or Login

Meteoritical Bulletin
. Do a search on "Places" and Nevada (or anywhere of interest).  you can click on individual meteorites listed that have been found and cataloged, sometimes there is a picture of the specimen as it was found.

Good luck, have fun, be careful! best wishes, don

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18490.msg120247.html#msg120247

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

nevadameteorites.jpg

Offline Ironman
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT,  Minelab SD2200V2,  White's Coinmaster, Coinmater 6000/Di 3
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 11:37:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello,

Nevada has produced many cold finds and many beautiful meteorites. Just recently Sonny clary (

Please Register or Login

www.nevadameteorites.com
) and count Diero  found a HUGE 28 pound chondrite meteorite buried in the sand. The largest ?single? stone chondrite specimen ever found in Nevada. The possibilities for finding meteorites in Nevada are huge. Take a look at Sonny's site. He has found more Nevada meteorites then anyone I know.

Good luck and good hunting. keep us posted on your adventures!

Ironman

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18490.msg122536.html#msg122536

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

28lb chondrite.jpg

Those who say it cannot be done.....
should not interrupt the person doing it!

You will never find Treasure.....
unless you hunt for it!

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 12:14:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great info. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this one.

Cheers

Sean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18490.msg122543.html#msg122543

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 05:04:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A Not so New  Interpretation of the 1096 Antiquities Law has raised it's ugly head again.

If you find one within the bounds of the Forest System or Even on BLM lands, Pocket it and Swear to your God you just wanted to find out what this hot rock was.

The forest Elves have declared  Meteorites Property of the State (US GOVERNMENT), The State, Sounds a bit Communist to me!  Funny.

OWNERSHIP
In the United States, meteorites are the property of the person upon whose land they are found. Please respect private property rights and do not hunt on private land without explicit permission to do so from the owner. If a meteorite is found on federal lands, then government officials consider it to belong to the government and, under an interpretation of the 1906 "Antiquities Act," meteorites found on federal lands belong to the Smithsonian Institution. If a meteorite is found on state lands, it is property of the state, usually under mineral rights laws. National parks and public lands generally prohibit removal of rocks from them. So, please know whose land you are on before picking up suspect rocks and make sure you have proper permission for doing so.

The Federal Government is not a State!  They are Agents to Execute the Laws out lined within the Constitution of the United States!  That would be You and Me!

Am I the only one that feel Stomped on?

If the Constitution of the United States was followed as Written in 6Th Grade English, 3/4Th of the US Government would not Exist.

How to Hell Did this Happen?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18490.msg122575.html#msg122575

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:07:06 pm by homefire »
Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 01:09:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
A Not so New  Interpretation of the 1096 Antiquities Law has raised it's ugly head again.

If you find one within the bounds of the Forest System or Even on BLM lands, Pocket it and Swear to your God you just wanted to find out what this hot rock was.

The forest Elves have declared  Meteorites Property of the State (US GOVERNMENT), The State, Sounds a bit Communist to me!  Funny.

OWNERSHIP
In the United States, meteorites are the property of the person upon whose land they are found. Please respect private property rights and do not hunt on private land without explicit permission to do so from the owner. If a meteorite is found on federal lands, then government officials consider it to belong to the government and, under an interpretation of the 1906 "Antiquities Act," meteorites found on federal lands belong to the Smithsonian Institution. If a meteorite is found on state lands, it is property of the state, usually under mineral rights laws. National parks and public lands generally prohibit removal of rocks from them. So, please know whose land you are on before picking up suspect rocks and make sure you have proper permission for doing so.

The Federal Government is not a State!  They are Agents to Execute the Laws out lined within the Constitution of the United States!  That would be You and Me!

Am I the only one that feel Stomped on?

If the Constitution of the United States was followed as Written in 6Th Grade English, 3/4Th of the US Government would not Exist.

How to Hell Did this Happen?

Word

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18490.msg122609.html#msg122609

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Offline Ironman
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT,  Minelab SD2200V2,  White's Coinmaster, Coinmater 6000/Di 3
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 08:30:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Homefire,

You are not the only one who feels stomped on. Many of us do. Is it just me or has all this been stirred up after all the exposure from the airing of Meteorite Men. Is it just coincidence? Timing maybe that all these issues have come up? I don't think so. With a ton of emphasis on the monetary value of the meteorites found during the show, it makes me wonder.  Just my two cents worth.

Hey, unless you happen to have exclusive hunting rights to productive meteorite hunting ground which no one else can hunt! Then you don't have to worry about ownership. Most of the folks who enjoy the hobby of meteorite hunting on public lands do not have that privilege. Times are sure changing! The other thing I have noticed big time is the private land is getting more and more difficult to get permission to hunt on especially if I tell them I will be hunting for meteorites. Bummer.

Ironman

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18490.msg122733.html#msg122733

Those who say it cannot be done.....
should not interrupt the person doing it!

You will never find Treasure.....
unless you hunt for it!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: