[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline tokashikibobTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

135.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab, Tesoro
« on: May 24, 2010, 09:55:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yeh, We?re still alive for anyone that gives a sh*t. But just barely? Yours truly, Meghead and Wild Rick hit the murky erMinreh River this weekend for a fossil hunt to remember.  Oh yeh in case your wondering I?ve taken the liberty to letter scrabble the river name to comply with the FossilFinders Guild to keep exact information off the web.   Yes my friend, you are extremely lucky that I was even able to keep a few photos of the hunt for you to eyeball as pictures of fossils and landmarks were erased by the secretive Guildmembers who met us at the dock before we left?.

Now back to the story, Me and Meghead have been talking about doing this for the past few years, and after meeting Wild Rick (WR) thru

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

www.blackriverfossils.org
we came up with a plan which was executed on the 23rd of May.   Previously, Wild Rick did some reconnoitering and extensive research on where we need to go, and since he?s a for real deal scientist I didn?t disputed his information as he showed me the massive ******** in the bed of his pickup truck from his canoe trip upriver the evening before.

Fortified with a McDonald?s breakfast we headed to our entry point and paddled upriver against the tide.   However, we soon had this figured out as Meghead?s 100hp Jetski towed our canoe caravan the miles we needed to cover in recorded time.   Disembarking at WR?s first site, soon had me donning my scuba gear in record time as the Chesapeake shell layer littered the high banks and crunched underfoot in the river.   

WR and I went in first with Meghead providing over watch on the Jetski.    The river dropped off steeply to the bottom where it was dark as sh*t.   My new Intova dive light was doing it?s best to give me some vision in the murk.  Additionally, as you went out towards the middle of the river the current was pretty bad too.  WR didn?t have much problem with this, but yours truly does not like freefall descending in a swift current in zero visibility.    I mainly stuck to the bottom of the ledges and poked and fanned the fine slit which hid underneath countless shell remnants, bone and hopefully *********.

The scariest thing was all the trees & logs in the river.  Near shore was the worst but even in the middle you?d be startled and your fear level jacked up to new levels by bumping into solid objects, i.e. entanglements as you fought to maintain your sanity on your quest for the Megalodon.

On our second dive, I did have a scary moment when I found I could not ascend towards the surface.  With my mask a few inches from the shell bed I moved upwards, and something solid hits my scuba tank,  ?Thump, W.T.F?  I move a little bit to the left, ?Thump, Holy sh*t! I move a little bit more, ?Thump?!  Now due to the stress everything seems darker and your mind races ?Which way outta here?!  I was able to find a gap between the two logs and swam thru it head first, bumping gear along the way.   But even as I raced towards the safety of the reddish light above I was chastising myself for doing such a risky move as getting stuck that way was a surefire end of the dive trip? forever.

So to wrap it up..  Fossils = Good   Camaraderie = Excellent   Trees in water = Bad

Until next time,   - Bob

P.S. If you visit my web site will you click on a ad?  Thanks!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14872.msg95105.html#msg95105

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DSC00911.jpg
DSC00912.jpg
DSC00913.jpg
DSC00914.jpg
DSC00921.jpg

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:04:17 am by seldom »