[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HotIQTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada
Referrals: 0

251.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

None yet
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:44:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'll recounted a story from March, 1990, approx 5:45 AM. I was the passenger in a car, on a highway, when I watched what I thought was a plane coming down when I realized it was a "falling star". I had watched it for approx. 10 seconds and it was still bright until a few meters from the ground. I did not search for it because I didn't know anything about them; I didn't know if it was radioactive (ignorance is bliss) or that it hadn't shattered when it hit the ground.

I have recently decided I want to hunt for it. I am having difficulty finding information online. I have concluded that it may be because no one actually knows.

Some of the answers I am looking for, you may be able to point me to an obscure book or other information. Understanding the speed required to set ablaze a falling object, it burnt out only a few meters from the ground.
What are the possible results of the impact with the ground?
-did it shattered
-depth of penetration
-reaction of indigenous material around the impact
What material (stony, iron, mixed) would still be burning so close to impact?
Did it burn up and nothing is there?
I can use a metal detector (iron, mixed) to assist in my search but after more than 21 years I may have to depend on knowing the answers to some of the above.

I did find the information on distortion and curvature of the earth. The ‘object’ was arching towards me, which is why I didn’t see the tail (it looked like the bright, white light of a large plane), and I was arching around the star, the curve of the road. I am confident that the ‘object’ landed in the field I think it did and not miles away from where I think it is.

I have been relentless searching for any other activity that may have been noticed March 1990 but I have not had any success. The approx. angle of impact ___’ (the line being the horizon) would be between 70 and 80 degrees, which would limit the area of observation, to other parts of Canada, and possibly Greenland and UK. It wasn’t like those one sees streaking through a starry sky. 

When you see something like this, so close, you don't forget. Especially the initial fear for thinking it was an airplane falling. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Barb

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27877.msg197561.html#msg197561

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:42:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

LOL .

I was just 17 and trying to take photo's of the moon from my back yard.

The whole yard lit up like someone was using a Arc Welder some place.

I looked up and I could see this huge White Blue light falling across the sky.

It back lit the Catalina Mtn range just north of Tucson.

It sank down behind the Mtns and disappeared.

I was SO sure it came down back behind the Mtn that I gathered up a few friends and started driving that way.

As it turned out they seen the same thing in Nebraska, Iowa and Colorado. 

Moral of the story is Perception is not what you always think.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27877.msg197566.html#msg197566

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

251.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

None yet
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:05:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
LOL .
I was just 17 and trying to take photo's of the moon from my back yard.
The whole yard lit up like someone was using a Arc Welder some place.
I looked up and I could see this huge White Blue light falling across the sky.
It back lit the Catalina Mtn range just north of Tucson.
It sank down behind the Mtns and disappeared.
I was SO sure it came down back behind the Mtn that I gathered up a few friends and started driving that way.
As it turned out they seen the same thing in Nebraska, Iowa and Colorado. 
Moral of the story is Perception is not what you always think.

homefire,

Two differences in our stories.

1) I cannot find any reports of anyone else seeing it, (obviously the driver of the car saw it.)
2) It wasn't streaking across the sky. It was falling (arcing) towards me at a steep angle. As the car arced around it, being the curve in the road, I could see it. I would say, if it stayed intact, it landed with-in one kilometer of where I was.

Prehaps you missed this part of my original post since it is a long post, "I did find the information on distortion and curvature of the earth." I studied that for quit awhile. Believe me, I have tried to rationalize away the possibilities because it helped justify why I never went looking for it.

Thanks for your reply but I am not asking for anyone to dispute what I may or may not have witnessed that morning. I am looking for other answers as noted in my original post.

Cheers,
Barb

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27877.msg197574.html#msg197574

Offline Edwin09
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Germany

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Nautilus
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:10:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Dear Barb,
I was in a jacuzzi hottub outside in Maine 1990. The clear wintersky presented itself in a nice panorama while I was getting gently steamed  Kiss. Suddenly I saw a fireball falling down the sky. It was far away but big enough that I could see it breaking up in pieces. It was an awesome sight. When I read your sharing about your sighting that incident came to mind. I am German and live in Berlin Germany as I write to you now. I always dreamed to find a meteorite and get real rich from it. Haha.
There is a guy living near from Berlin who is sort of the king of meteorite hunters in Germany. He makes a living from this. Recently there was a meteorite falldawn in Denmark. It was even filmed on a security cam. Many people tried to find the debris on an area spanning many square miles. He found it. It was small like a chicken egg but of a very, very rare type.
His Name is Thomas Grau and the webpage is

Please Register or Login

http://www.erfm.eu/English/erfm-homeenglish.html

He might be able to give you some hints.

Good Luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27877.msg197579.html#msg197579

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

251.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

None yet
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 10:21:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you for the link Edwin09. I'll check it out right after I check a comment I read in another post.

I was never much of a TV viewer so I was surprised by "Meteorite Men" I saw in a post. I am going to watch the pilot episode now.
I like this webiste because I can find/receive links to some good stuff  Smiley

Cheers,
Barb

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27877.msg197583.html#msg197583

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:29:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Was not disputing any thing here just stating what happened to me.

Most falls happen as the Earth turns from West to East.  NOT ALL!!  They just got in the way as the Earth was moving along.

If you was East of the fall it could have in fact looked like a single light with no tail.

Did it light out before going over the horizon?

Did it go down past the Horizon?

Any Noise?

These are what needs to be addressed.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27877.msg197584.html#msg197584

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

251.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

None yet
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 11:16:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

homefire,

I was in a car, windows up, radio sort of loud, travelling 100Kph (60mph).

I have been researching meteorites for a long time because that sighting "sparked" something, but it never propelled me to want to find the one I saw because the odds were 50/50 of finding it. I needed better odds to invest in something. Now the technology has become affordable, the Internet has so much more information and my odds of finding it are much high. I know there are 'rules' to meteorites. Then there are the ones that come along, as has happened in the past, and break the 'rules' thus creating a new 'rule'. Since finding out about the noise, sizzle, vibration...a meteorite causes I have gone over it again and again in my head. I didn't hear anything other than a static blimp on the radio. I don't know if I didn't hear it because of the conditions stated above or....Had I heard it I wouldn't have known what it was and would have excused it as background noise. Now I know better.

Cheers,
Barb

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27877.msg197589.html#msg197589

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: