[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:18:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In some ways collecting fossils is like collecting  anything else. One may look for qualities of rarity, shape, color, composition, quality of preservation, general appearance, importance, and other desirable features. One may build a collection along a topical theme, or try to find as many different varieties as possible.

Theme Collecting Could Be.
Shark Teeth
Brachiopods
Gastropods
Plants
Vertebrates

Are from one location or even one point in time, the Pleistocene,Cretaceous or Ordovician to name a few.

Fossil collecting can be even more interesting and educational than other forms of collecting, and more important scientifically. Whereas antiques and artifacts are typically hundreds or thousands of years old, most fossils are many millions of years old. Fossils come in a vast array of sizes and shapes, from microscopic specimens to dinosaur skeletons as tall as a house.

Unlike most collectibles, fossils were once alive. Fossils also help expand scientific knowledge. They help teach us about the origin, diversity, and history of living things, and about the earth itself. Fossils can be considered works of art, but they are also works of nature. There is no end to the variety of fossils that may be found, or the thrill of discovering new forms. Fossil collecting is literally searching for buried treasure. Fossils are interesting to look at, and fun to collect, prepare, study, and display.

Anyone can collect fossils. Many fossils are relatively easy to find, and there is always a chance of finding a rare or previously unknown species. Basic field equipment is not expensive or complicated. Even those who cannot collect in the field due to physical limitations can obtain fossils from rock shops, gem & fossil shows, museums,eBay and hundreds of online stores.Are you can study them through books and periodicals. Those who have been collecting or studying fossils for a while, including professional paleontologists, are usually glad to help a newcomer. Many areas have local fossil clubs, which are often affiliated with museums or universities.

If you do not have a background in science, do not let that hinder you from starting to collect or study fossils. Many amateur collectors have made significant contributions to the field of paleontology, and enjoy fossil collecting in its own right. Many donate specimens to museums, locate new fossil sites, help educate the public about fossils, and sometimes discover new fossil species. A number of very important fossils have been found by amateur collectors. With the help of more experienced collectors you soon will be able to identify many of your fossils, and perhaps find some important ones.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12789.msg80713.html#msg80713

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:16:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well said! Fossils are fascinating. Holding a little critter or plant in your hand that lived so long ago just boggles my mind.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12789.msg80837.html#msg80837

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:27:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

FOSSILS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  best place we have is just south of me about an hours drive is Mazonia-Braidwood State Fish & Wildlife Area known for its Pennsylvanian age fossils..........tick hell

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12789.msg80839.html#msg80839

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Offline River Rat
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 04:49:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bomber
FOSSILS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  best place we have is just south of me about an hours drive is Mazonia-Braidwood State Fish & Wildlife Area known for its Pennsylvanian age fossils..........tick hell

I am originally from Galesburg and when I came aware of fossils I knew about that area
before I moved but to my great regret never hunted there.
Did you ever find a tully?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12789.msg80941.html#msg80941

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 05:37:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

first time i went,got out of the car walked maybe 10 feet,and i found the "empty half"but still way cool.gave it to my niece who studing marine biology.planning on going back this summer.........maybe a little fishing also,those lakes look promiseing.how bout you?pics?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12789.msg81060.html#msg81060

Offline River Rat
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 06:51:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bomber
first time i went,got out of the car walked maybe 10 feet,and i found the "empty half"but still way cool.gave it to my niece who studing marine biology.planning on going back this summer.........maybe a little fishing also,those lakes look promiseing.how bout you?pics?

Now that is the way to hunt... I may make it to Braidwood this summer and just maybe
find a Tully. That is my goal there.  I haven't fished in many years. Mainly as a child I went with my dad.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12789.msg81521.html#msg81521

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 10:28:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

keep me in the loop!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12789.msg81783.html#msg81783

Offline Out4gold
It's a rock on the ground, it's a specimen when you take it home.
Bronze Member

It's a rock on the ground, it's a specimen when you take it home.
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2835.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 08:40:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

I figured, I should reply to Seldom's post,afterall just looking at my avitar is just one indicator that my intrests go beyond just swinging a MD.

This hobby preceeds using a detector, I do not remember bringing home my first specimen. I took fossils to school all of my younger days. The teachers really enjoyed seeing what I would bring in on Monday mornings.
I keep my eyes open for any potential that will bring in a harvest of specimens no matter what age. Collecting just from a certain age or era just isn't my style. Keeping your eyes open is the key to finding fossils.

Example: While going to a spot that had been yeilding Cretaceous shark teeth, I had been stepping over what appeared to be white paint chips for quite some time. My curosity got the best of me just because the "paint chips" were out of place....
 I began digging at the area and the paint began taking the form of a "Tusk". I removed about a half a ton of overburden to expose the skull of an Pleistocene Mastodont. I was a little flabbergasted.
The ages that seperate the age of that deposit and the deposit that had been yeilding shark teeth is about 78 million years, about 20 yards apart.
I don't collect the larger fossils I donate them.

I contacted the Dallas Museum of Natural Sciences and they in turn told me to see if a local high school would like to remove it and have it for study. South Grand Prairie high jumped at the chance to have it.
 Their science club came out there, in the rain, and with Chuck Finsley's help learned to dig it out and preserve the find. I stood by and let others (the kids) get the glory "picture" in the local newspaper. The media respected my privacy to not have TV coverage on the find. I really do not want my locations splashed on TV for all to see. Even as it was, with a small newspaper, I had two people to come out there, that was not invited, and decided to start looking for shark teeth too. I no longer find any fossils there to this day. It's picked clean all the time.
That skull is still on display in the science lab in South Grand Prairie high.
Just one story of many.

Seldom, your post is right on as to why.

Out4gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12789.msg82028.html#msg82028

Out4gold
AKA:Bone2stone

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 08:47:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

great post!.....thats why most people never share they're"honey holes"theres always somebody who'll pull a crap like that.they tell somebody,then somebody tells someone who tells everyone

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12789.msg82029.html#msg82029

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 08:54:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Nice post Out4gold. What an amazing find! I would have been flabergasted too. I can respect and applaud your decision. You could have taken the skull and sold it but instead turned it into a learning experience that probably started a few more fossil hunters down the path. Thats cool. It's sad to lose a favorite site like that though.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12789.msg82030.html#msg82030

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: