[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 07:11:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Thank you Luc for the amazing link Shocked

The Italian story Mirror image of the French story. The Italian description does seem to fit more like a hyena.

Here is some thing else that may be of interest.

The crocotta (or corocotta, crocuta, leucrocotta, or yena), is a mythical dog-wolf of India or Ethiopia, linked to the hyena and said to be a deadly enemy of men and dogs.

Strabo, who uses the word crocuttas, describes the beast as the mixed progeny of a wolf and a dog (Geographica, XVI.4.16).

Pliny in his work Natural History (VIII.72 and 107) variously described the crocotta as a combination between dog and wolf or between hyena and lion. Of the hyena, Pliny writes that it "is popularly believed to be bisexual and to become male and female in alternate years, the female bearing offspring without any male," and that "among the shepherds?s homesteads it simulates human speech, and picks up the name of one of them so as to call him to come out of doors and tear him to pieces, and also that it imitates a person being sick, to attract the dogs so that it may attack them; that this animal alone digs up corpses; that a female is seldom caught; that its eyes have a thousand variations of color; moreover that when its shadow falls on dogs they are struck dumb; and that it has certain magic arts by which it causes every animal at which it gazes three times to stand rooted to the spot. When crossed with this race of animals the Ethiopian lioness gives birth to the corocotta, that mimics the voices of men and cattle in a similar way. It has a unbroken ridge of bone in each jaw, forming a continuous tooth without any gum."

Pliny (VIII.72-73) also writes of another hyena-like creature, the leucrocotta, which he calls "the swiftest of all beasts, about the size of an ass, with a stag's haunches, a lion's neck, tail and breast, badger's head, cloven hoof, mouth opening right back to the ears, and ridges of bone in place of rows of teeth?this animal is reported to imitate the voices of human beings."

The Byzantine scholar Photius, epitomizing an ancient work by the Greek author Ctesias (Indica, L), writes: "In Ethiopia there is an animal called crocottas, vulgarly kynolykos [dog-wolf], of amazing strength. It is said to imitate the human voice, to call men by name at night, and to devour those who approach it. It is as brave as a lion, as swift as a horse, and as strong as a bull. It cannot be overcome by any weapon of steel."

Claudius Aelianus (aka Aelian) in his book On the Characteristics of Animals (VII.22) specifically links the hyena and corocotta and mentions the creature's fabled ability to mimic human speech. Porphyry in his book On Abstinence from Animal Food (III.4), writes that "the Indian hyaena, which the natives call crocotta, speaks in a manner so human, and this without a teacher, as to go to houses, and call that person whom he knows he can easily vanquish."

The crocotta was reported to have appeared more than once in the Roman arena. According to the Augustan History (Pius, X.9), the emperor Antonius Pius presented a corocotta, probably at his decennalia in AD 148. The historian Cassius Dio (LXXVII.1.3-5) credits the later emperor Septimius Severus with bringing the crocotta to Rome, saying this "Indian species...was then introduced into Rome for the first time, so far as I am aware. It has the color of a lioness and tiger combined, and the general appearance of those animals, as also of a dog and fox, curiously blended."

Later bestiaries of the Middle Ages confounded these various accounts, so that one finds the largely mythical creature given differing names and various characteristics, real and imaginary. Among the characteristics not found in the ancient sources was the idea that the eyes of a crocotta were striped gems that could give the possessor oracular powers when placed under the tongue.

The scientific name of the spotted hyena (Crocuta crocuta) was taken from the mythological crocotta, and there are some similarities in the description. Hyenas do have very powerful teeth and jaws, can digest a wide range of foods, are known to dig up human bodies for food, and can make unnervingly humanlike vocalizations (such as their famous laugh). Local folklore about hyenas often gives them powers such as gender switching (males and females are difficult to distinguish), shape shifting, and human speech?all of which encourages the belief that the hyena may have contributed to the original myth of the crocotta.

From what you can see above there has been quite a history of this type of animal. It also seems that once Spotted hyenas once roamed Europe in Chauvet-Pont-d'Arc Cave in the South of France there is a painting of cave hyena going back 20000 years.

Perhaps these attacks was the last of the species in Europe?

Hardluck

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20290.msg143230.html#msg143230

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

la-b-te-milanaise-01a-18e9c78.jpg

Offline Luc
Silver Member

Live it is a treasure to enrich the spirit
Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher F75, Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 11:23:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey all

Very interesting source of documentation and information, Hardluck as usual.

I also found few on the beast of Gevaudan, it is an interesting idea.

The damage done by what is called the Beast of Gevaudan begin in July 1764 at a time when the people of the region have experienced severe winter epidemics that decimated the sheep population, poor harvests resulting in higher prices, and the plague in 1729 from Marseille. Religious authorities, seeing it as a divine punishment, prepare minds for all the exaggerations.

Jean-Jacques Barloy in an article in Science et Vie studied the question using data analysis computer on the aggression of 130 people which 100  were killed. After some experimentation, a way of interpreting events yielded interpretations along the lines of human intervention.

It identifies seven periods: the first, the first victim at the end Vivarais abuse in the second, until the killing of the wolf brothers Chaumette May 1, 1765; the third, to the incarceration of the family Chastel in August 1765, the fourth to the killing of wolves by Antoine de Beauterne, September 21, 1765, the fifth, until the liberation of Chastel, sixth, until installing the beast Mont Mouchet, seventh and last until the death of the wolf by Chastel, June 19, 1767.

A historian of Beziers, Mrs Aribaud-Farrere, revealed the existence of a character called "Sir" which was an insane sadist. His departure to Paris coincided with the end of the second period, with 65 victims. Its activity would be mainly spread in the first period with 8 victims. He then mingled with his crimes Chastel family seems very involved in the massacre, at least we have tried to make them wear the hat. Indeed, his internment corresponds with periods 4 and 5 that only 6 victims whose characteristics are very different from others. Abused persons are most often injured, with damage to the face. The Chastel had been imprisoned because of an altercation in August 1765, caused by accusations of child care P?lissier who were accused of having voluntarily left mired in the risk of his life, during which Jean Chastel had taken aim at the guard.

Not that Chastel are a family of werewolves, but perhaps leaders of wolves or hybrids of animals. Greek mythology provides a home to werewolves. The tyrant of Arcadia Lykaon a temple dedicated to Zeus on Mount Wolf. The god invited himself to the King to thank him for this attention, but he was offered during the feast the bowels of a young boy. Zeus, angry, Lykaon metamorphosed into a wolf and struck his house from lightning. Since then, in Arcadia, every 9 years, were sacrificed in honor of Zeus Lycian, a young boy whom we had to eat the entrails, by lot, a shepherd who must then hang clothes on a tree cross the river to swim, to become a werewolf. He was living among the wolves for eight years and, if he had refrained from human flesh, then he could cross the river again, his clothes again, and regain his place among men.

Human intervention is more likely that 15 out of 100 killed were beheaded, which is not common among the wolves. In addition during the slaughter of wolves by Jean Chastel, marked a strange animal downtime. Chastel that may have been the leaders of wolves, seems supported by another example from 1762. A family of Marvejols was convicted of robbing travelers using trained wolves. The father and mother were hanged, the eldest son sent to the galleys.

If I mention this case is that some places in the report are on plots of Nonagon. The brothers of Chaumette, realizing that the beast attacked one of their shepherds to their land in St. Albans, shoot him and seriously injured. The animal was continued the following days without success, while one has a new victim in the parish of P?pinet Ventu?jols. This marks the end of the second period which reached 65 victims. The third period is illustrated by the attacks on the parish and the villages of Venteuges Meyronnes and Apples.

On May 19, 1765, a 50 year old woman was beheaded and devoured Servilanges in the parish of Venteuges. The head was not found. On 22 June, in the woods of Venteuges, were shown to Mr. Antoine Beauterne the remains of a victim. Beauterne foresaw a hunt in the forests of Meyronnes near Venteuges, July 11. A Pailleyre, nicknamed B?gou of Pontajou in the same parish, said he saw a man before dawn large frolic in the river near his home in the moonlight. Surprised, the man jumps out of the water and turning into a wolf escapes.

It is in applewood that hunting will kill the second wolf, September 21, 1765. "Having been informed that wolves faisoient lot of damage in the wood of the Ladies of the Royal Abbey of Chazes I sent on 18 that month, Messrs Pelissier and Lacour, gamekeepers, and valet Lafeuille bloodhounds of louveterie the king, each with their bloodhounds to recognize the woods of the reservation [The] day 21, said three servants and the hounds named Berry, Jack of dogs, we have reported that they had embezzled large wolf, the wolf and her cubs in the woods of apple, depending on the reservation, we're transported with all the guards hunts and 40 [...], after which such servants of the hounds and dogs to search louveterie having been said timber We Fran?ois Antoine, ez called names, being placed in a strait, I would be coming by a path at the distance of 50 paces, this huge wolf with me the right side and turning his head to look at me on the field, I shot him a shot of my fowling charged with five charges of powder and 35 positions and a wolf caliber bullet, the effect of which made me back two, but said the wolf fell straightway received the ball in the right eye and all such items in the right side, near the shoulder, and as I criois the Halaly, he got up and returned to me without turning and giving me time charge my said weapon. I called to my aid on Mr. Richard, placed near me, who found him stopped at ten paces from me and shot her in the back a shot of his rifle, which was about 25 refuir not in plain where he fell dead. "

October 14, still in the woods Chazes, Beauterne slaughtered the she-wolf and her cubs. But the killing continues, and it was not until June 19, 1767 to stop the carnage by shooting of Jean Chastel, an undisputed reputation as a skilful hunter, a wolf, comparable to Beauterne, the Sogne d 'Auvert.

Involvement in the killing Chastel, if not ensured, as seems likely seen by the sharp decrease in the number of victims during their incarceration. "However, we can wonder about the motives that have led to their persecution of the Chastel as systematically, as scientific, on the inhabitants of Gevaudan. Some authors [...] reported that Antoine Chastel had attended the Huguenots Vivarais. Can we find an explanation in these contacts and a mobile phone? Imagine, for example, that the Huguenots would have an incentive to kill Catholics? This is not an unfounded assumption. For a long time, Lozere was bloodied by battles between Protestants and Catholics. At the time of the beast, war Camisards was still in all minds, in 1752, some priests were slaughtered by the Huguenots. Yet there was, it seems that Catholics among the victims of the beast. Specifically, the "range" of it corresponds roughly to the Catholic party of Gevaudan, raised just over Vivarais Protestant areas, the Aubrac and the center of Gevaudan. In this way, some commentators have gone further, finding in the case of the hand of England. It is true that the British press-exploitation crimes of the beast.  Indeed in the Messenger April 26, 1765 reads: "The English journalists s'?gaient our costs, but in English, about the Beast of Gevaudan. We read in one of their sheets of 29 March, a French army of 120,000 men was defeated by this animal that devoured after 25,000 men and swallowed whole train of artillery, was found the next day defeated by a cat which had eaten the kittens ". Relations between French Protestants and England are old. The head camisard Cavalier became major in the army.

Messer

Ms. Aribaud-Farrere talking about a sadistic madman known as "Sir". Here is what Alain Decaux said: "In 1962, published a booklet, published in Beziers, Mr Aribaud-Farrere. Title: The Beast of Gevaudan identified. The author agrees with Dr. Puech [in 1910 ], a bloodthirsty sadist was concealed for the exploits of the Beast of Gevaudan. He believes he has identified what sadist. The region was called "Sir." It was a "despicable character, amateur of all sexual perversions, constantly in search of pleasures stale .... He was the decend "an old, respected and powerful family, originally from the south of France." Her father was "a dignitary of the Crown," his mother "related to the highest nobility of the kingdom." The author of the booklet recalls the strange events that punctuate the history of the beast, killing it is difficult to account for a wild animal. These murder-there is "Sir" who committed. [...] In 1972, when I presented my show on the Beast of Gevaudan, I merely point out the plate and regrettable that the author does not deliver the name of "Sir." A few days later, I received a curious letter. The author explained to me why "Sir" had not been identified more clearly: "This name is in the news, he is difficult to say for certain that they are descended from werewolves gay lovers flesh. "I was entitled to my account in that name." At the news ", it was in 1972, oh! Say it was a family closely related to power . We understand that for my part I see the same discretion as the author of the wafer.

According to Mr. Aribaud-Farrere, Sir sought refuge at the Abbey of Mercoire, linked to, male, Mazan, in Vivarais. This Cistercian monastery, at 1225 meters above sea level and amidst the vast forest of the same name already existed in 1207 and was fifty nuns. In the fifteenth there were only 15 and only seven in the Revolution. Priests and lay brothers lived in the abbey and served the nuns. In 1728, sixteen nuns had twelve servants: baker, cook, clerk, two herders, seven maidens. The monastery was rebuilt after being devastated by the Huguenots from Merle to 1578, was destroyed by arson in 1773. The abbey was closed in 1792 and sold, with his field as a national asset, for 60,000 pounds. The buildings are now used as an agricultural establishment.

Messer was there Mercoire family, which would explain the reception he was there doing? The nuns were from the best families in the region. The Barons de Randon, the Chateauneuf-Randon, the Morangies helped Abbey and gave many of their daughters. In 1689, there was the abbess of Helen of Reversat Celetti, sisters Frances, Yssarn of Fraissinet, the Goyim Mary, Mary, Charlotte and Catherine Louise Morang and Louise Magdalena Hyacinthe Condres of Chastel, and Anne Marie Maubec Brig Jane Danis, Anne Gres. In the eighteenth, there are Catherine and Anne Castle of Condres as abbess of Mercoire, both born around 1700. Francoise of Agrain, (1694 -?) Agrain and Mary (1701 -?) Were nuns at the abbey after another of Agrain, Louise (1574 -?) In the sixteenth century.

The AGRAIN are particularly concerned by the case of the Beast as the first victim, Jeanne Boulet - 14 years - killed by the monster, 3 miles Langogne July 3, was a native of Hubas, near Saint-Etienne Lugdar?s . The gold Hubas are the seat of the family of AGRAIN Hubas.

It is within the confines of the Vivarais Gevaudan. A letter from the trustee Vivarais reported nine people eaten since March 1764 by "a wild beast, lurking in our mountains Vivarais. Well before the beginning of June where a woman was attacked by Langogne the Beast while she kept his cows.

Good reading

Luc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20290.msg143287.html#msg143287

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:25:00 am by Luc »

Lucky Luc

Offline LeDid
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

France

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 10:29:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Luc, (and all)

I am very interested by your article, well informed.
Where have you find this information source, do you have books to advise me.
Thank you

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20290.msg145352.html#msg145352

Offline Luc
Silver Member

Live it is a treasure to enrich the spirit
Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher F75, Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 10:58:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello LeDid

Find below the link to a site talking about cryptozoology, where you can find what you're looking for

Please Register or Login

http://cryptozoologie.conceptforum.net/t377-betes-feroces-de-france.

Kind regards

Luc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20290.msg145354.html#msg145354

Lucky Luc

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: