[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ace of spadesTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada
Referrals: 0

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none yet
« on: July 09, 2011, 05:06:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ola everyone! Oh man I may have found a huge find today at a garage sale. Actualy my wife found it  Pray We went garage sale hunting today with the kids. We hit a bunch and it was all garbage, we were starting to think we would not find anything today but boy were we wrong. We bought 2 things for $6 Canadian thats $6.25 American lmao  Wink First I saw this killer pontiled aqua glass paper weight. Usally I dont buy them, but this one is a 2 piece??? Shocked I have never seen one! The second thing is a 1875 WENTWORTH COUNTY ATLAS just full of old maps. These things arent cheap! Its a killer find and will help me out hunting crap! But it gets better....We got home and opened the atlas and you will not belive what fell out. If its legit HOLY SHIT Shocked Shocked  sorry but I dont know what else to say. I will post pics! It will be the last pic in the group! I may start another thread about it and describe it better Im looking for help on this find please. Cross your fingers  Cool

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26460.msg186009.html#msg186009

There are 4 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

074.jpg
075.jpg
076.jpg
079.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 05:20:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Too small to read it. Can you post a larger image later?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26460.msg186011.html#msg186011

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none yet
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 05:39:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK...some more info on the recruiting poster...
It seems to be on handwoven paper, has watermarks if you hold it up to the light, and is approx. 15.5" wide X 13" tall...
here is what it says:  

"To all brave, healthy, able bodied, and well
disposed young men,
In this neighbourhood, who have any inclination to join the troops,
Now raising under
General Washington,
for the defence of the
liberties and independence
of the United States,
Against the hostile designs of foreign enemies,
TAKE NOTICE
14 images of troop in various positions (i.e. "Position of a soldier under arms"
That tuesday, wednsday, thursday, friday and saturday at Spotswood (?) in
Middlesex
...county, attendance will be given by
Lieutenant Blucting (?)with his music and recruiting party of (this is all scratched out, can't read it)company in Major Shutes (?)
Battalion of the 11th regiment of infantry, commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Aaron Ogden, for the purpose of receiving the enrollment of
such youth of SPIRIT, as may be willing to enter into this HONOURABLE service.

The ENCOURAGEMENT at this time, to enlist, is truly liberal and generous, namely, a bounty of TWELVE dollars, an annual and fully sufficient supply of good and handsome cloathing, a daily allowance of a large and ample ration of provisions, together with SIXTY dollars a year in GOLD
and SILVER money on account of pay, the whole of which the soldier may lay up for himself and friends, as all articles proper for his subsistance and
comfort are provided by law, without any expence to him.

Those who may favour this recruiting party with their attendance as above, will have an opportunity of hearing and seeing in a more particular
manner, the great advantages which these brave men will have, who shall embrace this opportunity of spending a few happy years in viewing the
different parts of this beautiful continent, in the honourable and truly respectable character of a soldier, after which, he may, if he pleases return
home to his friends, with his pockets FULL of money and his head COVERED with laurels.

GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES

Posted on: July 09, 2011, 05:38:14 PM
That should at least get ya started...will try to get closer pictures of the soldiers in position, etc...
Thanks!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26460.msg186014.html#msg186014

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 05:47:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The term THE UNITED STATES was not used until July 4th 1776 when the Declaration of Independence was ratified. Don't think it would be on a recruiting posters at the start of the war.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26460.msg186015.html#msg186015

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 05:57:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I don't know, Seldom, old buddy. We're both old enough to have been in Washington's Army - now retired, naturally.

All kidding aside, the recruitment effort did continue for years during the war after the Declaration of Independence was signed and delivered to King George. The paper type will tell a lot about the find. Also, looking carefully for the tiny word, "Facsimile," will help. We need a much bigger image.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26460.msg186017.html#msg186017

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none yet
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 06:03:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats interesting...noticed it spoke of liberties and independence...being Canadian, we don't know all the American history.  Would they have done posters only at the start of the war?  Is General Washington soon to be President?  There is a Middlesex county in Southern Ontario...we found it in Long Point, Ontario; would they be advertising up here...or did it just find its way to Canada with someone along the way?  Gotta google some american history  Smiley

There is nothing indicating "facsimile."  The paper seems to be of high quality...yellowed a bit, but pretty thick.  There are a few spots that are warn a bit, but overall outstanding condition!

Our camera kind of sucks...but we will keep trying Smiley

Thanks...keep 'em coming!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26460.msg186021.html#msg186021

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 06:09:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Have you tried a Google search for such documents?

Look here:

Please Register or Login

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Recruitment-Poster-for-Continental-Soldiers-to-Serve-in-the-American-Revolution-Posters_i2876875_.htm

Since you can order multiple copies in a variety of sizes, I'd guess it is most likely that yours is modern and not a replica of any real poster.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26460.msg186022.html#msg186022

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 06:20:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
All kidding aside, the recruitment effort did continue for years during the war after the Declaration of Independence was signed and delivered to King George.

I didn't consider that GD but your right I am sure the recruiting went on for many years. 
The paper will tell the story here and will need to be looked at by an expert.

Can you tell if the page has been folded in half length wise then 3 or maybe 4 times top to bottom?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26460.msg186023.html#msg186023

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none yet
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 06:54:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There are some fold marks...folded in 3 lengthwise...no horizontal fold.  Paper expert is exactly what we need...doubt I can find that in the yellowpages! lol Would the local museum be helpful?

So my wife did a bit of quick research...from wikipedia

In the American Revolutionary War, Ogden was appointed a lieutenant in the 1st New Jersey Regiment; his older brother Matthias Ogden was the lieutenant colonel. Aaron Ogden served in various roles through the war, seeing action and rising to the rank of brigade major

Seeking to coordinate military efforts, the Continental Congress established (on paper) a regular army on June 14, 1775, and appointed George Washington as commander-in-chief. The development of the Continental Army was always a work in progress, and Washington used both his regulars and state militia throughout the war.

The 11th Regiment of Militia was raised in October of 1739 by the governor of the colony of Connecticut to provide an overarching organization of military units within the colonies. These regiments served as part of the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. The regiment contributed many of its forces to regular regiments in the Continental Army.

Also learned that the Continental Army and Continental Navy were disbanded after the war.  Don't know if it helps us solve the mystery...lol

Grin Grin

Posted on: July 09, 2011, 06:30:22 PM
The image is identical...down to the location and the part that is scribbled out!  But ours is not in colour, nor is the paper that white (obviously).  It has a very rough cut (almost ripped/chewed) along bottom...maybe an early reproduction?  But why?!  Think we are all stumped...hoping its real!!!! Smiley We are still working on pics...trying to borrow a better camera...

Posted on: July 09, 2011, 06:43:09 PM
Ok I took some more pics on my phone. Im working on a better camera but may not be till tomorrow  Cry Hopefully you can see the watermarks and you should be able to see how crude this is. Cross your fingers...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26460.msg186026.html#msg186026

There are 4 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

080.jpg
082.jpg
083.jpg
084.jpg

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 07:04:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have seen many posters from the revolutionary war and this looks like one or a  copy  or one. What has me leaning to copy is the GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES I don't remember ever seeing that on any poster.

Posters and other documents were copied and  sold by the truck load in 1975 and 76  to celebrate the bi centennial it also happened in 1876 to celebrate the centennial. Many of the copys from 1876 bring high dollars now. Awhile back I saw a 1876 copys of the 1776 place cards used at Washington's inauguration dinner sale at auction for 5 grant. So even copy's have some value.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26460.msg186028.html#msg186028

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: