[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:55:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Too hot for MDing in Chicago (at least for me) and went to several garage sales. The nice old ladies in my first visit had great old stuff for sale and had sold most of it. Got several old tools and a rare 1949 encased wheat penny from the Kiwanis Circle. Paid 5 cents for it, but one like it is offered online for $17.95  Great 

They also sold me 3 nice silverplated baby spoons for just 10 cents all three   One of them is a souvenir spoon from the Kensington Palace Hotel in London. The spoon reads E.P.N.S Elkington for maker's mark. EPNS stands for Electroplated Nickel Silver and it was a process invented and patented in 1838 by the Elkington brothers in Birmingham, England. Nice score! The second spoon has B & O stamped on the front (Baltimore & Ohio Railroad) and is marked Reed & Barton Triplex on the back. The B&O line was one of the oldest railroad companies in the nation and operated from 1830-1987. Another great piece of history. The baby fork reads Tudor Plated Oneida Community, probably from the 40's or 50's.

In another location I got a barely used 1973 Schwinn exercise stationary bike for just $5. Saw one online selling for $125   Cool
Not bad for a hot day in Chitown!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26496.msg186385.html#msg186385

There are 4 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

7-10-11 Finds2 001.jpg
7-10-11 Finds2 004.jpg
7-10-11 Finds2 005.jpg
7-10-11 Finds2 006.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 02:00:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

I've got just a wee bit of bad news for you but mostly congratulations on your garage sale scores.

Nickel silver is not any part silver. It consists of 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc in the standard mix of today. It could be sliver plated. More than likely the collector value is going to be higher than the intrinsic value.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26496.msg186416.html#msg186416

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:46:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
I've got just a wee bit of bad news for you but mostly congratulations on your garage sale scores.

Nickel silver is not any part silver. It consists of 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc in the standard mix of today. It could be sliver plated. More than likely the collector value is going to be higher than the intrinsic value.

Exactly. Being that EPNS is just silver plated nickel, the value is not on the metal content but rather on the piece as a whole. However, Elkington EPNS was originally pure silver plated nickel and not sterling, which is an alloy of silver and copper. See:

Please Register or Login

http://www.wineantique.com/DEFINITIONS/electroplate.htm

Please Register or Login

http://www.myantiquemall.com/AQstories/silver/Silver.html

But also, there is nickel silver or German Silver (which as you pointed out contains no silver) and there is nickel silver that is electroplated with silver. Antique EPNS pieces have indeed a coat of pure silver per Elkington's electroplated process. So at least the spoon marked EPNS Elkington has the potential of being valuable as a collector's piece, not for the meager silver content.  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26496.msg186426.html#msg186426

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 09:59:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Darn, you two are good.   I was just about to chime in with my own explanation of nickel silver/ German silver, but the two of you have it very well covered.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26496.msg186476.html#msg186476

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 12:20:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cyberborikua
So at least the spoon marked EPNS Elkington has the potential of being valuable as a collector's piece, not for the meager silver content.

Exactly! Congratulations on having a sharp eye for treasure. Oh, I do love a good garage sale.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26496.msg186496.html#msg186496

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 12:33:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Theres a new one out there Tibetan silver which is just nickle silver with 10% lead add and less copper

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26496.msg186498.html#msg186498

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:18:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks moderators. As always you are greeeat! Talking about alloys today I was surprised to dig and find a 2002 Italy 20 Euro-Cents coin  Shocked. I thought I had dug all the way to Europe  Grin

Well, I learned that these Euro cents are composed of Nordic Gold (89% copper, 5% aluminium, 5% zinc, and 1% tin). No gold at all Idiot. It was really easy to remove the light tarnish off by rubbing it with a Bar Keeper's Friend paste. It is funny how alloys got names that can be to some point misleading.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26496.msg186557.html#msg186557

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 10:08:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cyberborikua
Well, I learned that these Euro cents are composed of Nordic Gold (89% copper, 5% aluminium, 5% zinc, and 1% tin). No gold at all . It was really easy to remove the light tarnish off by rubbing it with a Bar Keeper's Friend paste. It is funny how alloys got names that can be to some point misleading.

Yeah, and our own "golden" dollars (Sacagawea and Presidential issues) are 88.5% copper, 6% zinc, 3.5% manganese, 2% nickel.    They've currently got a melt value of $0.0748 ...... I long for the days when we had honest money and a $1 had $1 worth of gold or silver and a dime had $.10 worth of silver  Sad

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26496.msg186617.html#msg186617

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 04:39:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
Yeah, and our own "golden" dollars (Sacagawea and Presidential issues) are 88.5% copper, 6% zinc, 3.5% manganese, 2% nickel.    They've currently got a melt value of $0.0748 ...... I long for the days when we had honest money and a $1 had $1 worth of gold or silver and a dime had $.10 worth of silver  Sad

You got that right. It seems that nowadays coins are just trade tokens with little intrinsic value.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26496.msg186691.html#msg186691

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 06:48:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

nickel alloys gave better service than brass in plated flatware because of the strength and also when the silver plate wore through you could hardly tell it on a polished piece.

Posted on: July 17, 2011, 06:41:48 PM
I'm looking for US coins to go the the all aluminum standard. Once again the value of the coin will be equal to the value of the metal. Almost. Korea adopted  this when the won was 105 to 1$. (1970)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26496.msg187209.html#msg187209

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: