[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BurgmanTopic starter
Foil

Thank you3

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: September 11, 2011, 03:02:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Fight Hi everyone.

First let me say that I have no connection with Garrett or any of their distributors. I am just an ordinary bloke who does metal detecting as a hobby. I am also not going to knock any other make of detector - far from it. ALL detectors in the market today will ALL do an excellent job.

However, I've seen quite a few posts on various forums that comment on the AT Pro but are from people who say they have never used one. Most of the comments are knocking the AT, with stories about falsing, lack of depth, no true all metal mode etc. Most of the comments just simply say the AT Pro is on good and you should but a Fisher 75, E-Trac, Deus, GoldMaxx Power etc. I get the impression that many of these folk are just anti-Garrett.

So, to balance out these comments by people who have never used the AT Pro, or if they have it was for an hour or so only, I thought I would post the real story. We need to get the business of air tests out of the way too. ALL air tests on ALL machines are a waste of time, other than to let you hear the tones without interference. Air tests will NOT tell you how

First, the people who knock the AT Pro without having used one really should know better. You can't comment on a detector until you have used it for some time and understand how it works and what it is telling you. Therefore 90% of their comments can be ignored.

Second, there are some issues with the AT Pro.  

a) The early models did have a problem with falsing and this HAS been fixed by Garrett. If you buy one now the only falsing you will get is caused by the operator setting it up wrongly. The solution - just as it is with ALL detectors is to turn down the sensitivity.

b) The coin depth indicator is not particularly accurate (see below) But first we need to get the business of air tests out of the way too. ALL air tests on ALL machines are a waste of time, other than to let you hear the tones without interference. Air tests will NOT tell you how deep any detector will go in the filed. it depends on the soil, mineralisation, sensitivity and lots of other factors. I have yet to see anyone detect a coin that is hovering in mid air. In the field I have detected small finds down as deep as 14". I think that compares pretty well with most any other detector.

c) The coin depth indicator isn't too good, especially in STD mode. The solution is to ignore the scale, switch to PRO and listen to the signal. The louder it is, the shallower the object. Really deep objects sound fainter. For me that's a pretty good indicator of the true depth.

d) Just like every detector, the target ID display only gives an approximation of the type of object. It is far better to listen to the tones and then cross check with the target ID display rather than relying solely on the display.

e) It's not as good as the E-Trac or Deus. Absolutely true!  However, the AT Pro is less than half the price of those machines so you would expect them to be 'better'.

So now for the upside:

a) The AT Pro has a fairly straightforward learning curve. The tones are simple and easy to understand after a while.
b) It really does have a lot of depth (see above).
c) It's lightweight.
d) It works well on both inland sites, beaches and in the water.
e) It is relatively cheap to buy.

One major advantage of the AT Pro is that you do not need to spend your time deciding which of the pre-set programs you need to use. Nor do you need to waste time setting up your own programmes (why would you DO that when e.g. the Deus has eleven (eleven!) pre-sets that will deal with anything? If you want to waste time fiddling about like that then go ahead. Personally I would rather be out there detecting.

Bearing in mind the price, the ease of use, the versatility of it and the fact that it is a deep machine and of course that it DOES find stuff, then for me it has been a really good buy.

Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27454.msg194453.html#msg194453

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

T2 SE Limited, Fisher F2 backup
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 06:24:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

is your last name Garrett? lol, just kidding  Grin  Very good analysis, Ive been considering the pro or the gold. I beg to differ on air testing......it does give you real results, just not field results. It will give you an idea (when comparing  air tests of another detector) what it can do, and give you exact TID numbers for what your looking for. I also test mine for masking using various objects held over coins to see what my detectors will do in discriminate modes. I air test my own to help me "guess" better at what I'm digging in the field. And I will knock another detector....if its a piece of crap, its a piece of crap (some of the chinese detectors for example) just talk to the people that bought those bargains and cant find a pop can at 4".

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27454.msg194466.html#msg194466

:tecknetics: :fisher:

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 06:40:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Bergman, If the AT Pro is pulling coins at 14" then it will match the Deus and the Etrac,
as for the falsing the only thing I've heard is when people dont ground balance in the water when going from the sand
and the only problem many owners complain about was the arm cup lenth, but they fixed that now

The At Pro and now the AT Gold seems to be up there with the best of them, and I will be going to check out the AT Gold.
the best part is as you said you dont have to stuff around programming,

The AT series of detectors could become some of Garretts finest machines ever, Just like the infinium.

AU

Posted on: September 11, 2011, 06:32:47 AM
I also agree with Avision4u2liveby, Air tests help you to get an Idea or map out you coils detecting field,
I have done air tests with 2 machines by the same company and got differant depths in air
weather it was the coils or the machines I dont know but they were differant,

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27454.msg194468.html#msg194468

Offline BurgmanTopic starter
Foil

Thank you3

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 03:56:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello
Hi guys, thanks for the comments.  Just to clarify a bit.  Air testing, as I said, is fine for getting to hear the different tones of objects without interference from unwanted signals. I do that all the time. but as an indication of true detecting depth it won't help too much.

As far as depth goes, the AT Pro definitely sounds off at depths well below the 25cm marked on the depth scale. I have only dug one coin at around 12/13", a 1887 Victoria penny. I have dug things like buckles and buttons at that depth as well as an assortment of lead musket balls, and as ever, lumps of iron.

and the AT Pro DOEs indeed find thin hammered silver (I have an Edward II penny sitting on my desk to prove it!

The problem with the depth scale display is it isn't particularly accurate, even on what the manual calls "coin sized objects at normal depths". The target ID has a few issues as well (just as all digital ID systems do, so its not an actual fault!!) The problem is if you swing over a piece of flat iron you get an ID around 60 to 65. You get the same ID if it is an Edward II penny. There's lots of examples of this sort of thing.

STD mode doesn't help much in working out the depth.

So, the only way round these things I have found is to use PRO mode and listen to the loudness of the signal to get an idea of depth. Use the 'width' of the signal to get an idea of size - long tones are big stuff, short tone are small. Ignore both the depth scale and the target ID (although you do get a rough idea of what's under the coil) and just use the tones.

These problems are definitely not unique to the AT Pro as a lot of other machines have the same issues.  At least Garrett is trying to make their machines as good as they can be, and to make them user friendly.

An example is the position of the elbow rest, and also the slightly wobbly shaft. Garret have now fixed these and supply a cam lock set up to make the shaft rigid and this comes with a longer upper stem so the elbow rest is much more comfortable.

Don't get me wrong - I know I'm pointing out a few issues with the AT Pro, but all detectors have issues one way or another.  With the possible single exception of the new Rutus Jupiter, I see no other detector on the market that gives pretty damn good performance, reasonable price, ease of use, and none of that  time sitting there stuffing 'programmes' into it, which could be better spent actually out in the field detecting - let's face it the more ground you cover the more you will find no matter what the detector is. (excluding some of the Chinese rubbish of course).

I'm just sitting here waiting for the backlash from the White's Deus and E-Trackers..........
 Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27454.msg194632.html#msg194632

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 04:00:19 am by Burgman »
Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:17:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Burgman
I'm just sitting here waiting for the backlash from the White's Deus and E-Trackers

Well Mate I use only Whites, But saying that I only use the MXTs just because I want to detect not Program,
and to me they are about the best for the areas that I work and when I took off the big 300 coil and fitted a
smaller one I saw someone dig a ringpull at 12" with it now that was a shock,

so I understand the way your thinking, and I use to have an Etrac and as you said about jumpy IDs
well my Etrac could give you 9 sets of numbers for one Item and it did that in air tests or in the ground,
So far My Machines work just Like they were made to and I cant fault them,

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27454.msg194642.html#msg194642

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 02:33:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

No backlash from me......I figure buying a metal detector is a lot like buying an automobile.   Just because one person is a die-hard fan of Audi and another a die-hard fan of BMW's and yet another a die-hard fan of Mercedes or Ford or Toyota, doesn't automatically make one of them right and all the rest wrong.

I'm glad to have a detailed report on the AT-Pro from someone that has actually spent some time swinging it on a regular basis.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27454.msg194719.html#msg194719

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 02:47:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I cant wait for the AT Gold to come over here and I would love to get my hands on the AT Pro,
its a pleasing thought that garretts new line of machines are of this standard its just like they
use to be only with a modern twist,

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27454.msg194721.html#msg194721

Offline MetalMaster
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

655.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 08:57:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok
I also have a Garrett AT Pro.
Had problems with the first machine, bad machine, they gave me a new one.
What more can you ask.
First one had the falsing issue. Why?

For those that want to know what really called the falsing issue..
Moisture was the problem, getting into the main Board area.
How can I confirm this? Moisture on the screen with temp changes.
But only after the unit was submerged once in salt water.
Before that it worked flawless for months.

But no complaint they honered the warranty and replaced it.

Second:

The coins on the AT Pro read  the correct depth.
When do they not,  when there on there side. Hmmm....
When there laying flat they send out a different signal. See the Garrett site for a instruction of this fact.

To the "At pro" a aluminum can at 16 inches, looks like a quater at 8 inches. Wierd, but I have seen it time and again?
But that is not a problem because I have got to know my machine and its limits.
Short of submerging a camera into the sand to see what is there. The Garrett gives me enough info I have to Interpret.
So one has to get to know ones machine and interpret the results. Time with your machine is the only way.
I like the challenge, as many do of interpret what is below.

It is a step up from my Ace 250, and I enjoy the new features. I liked the Ace 250 but as many wanted a better toy.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27454.msg196133.html#msg196133

Offline jrmat1
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Guam

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites TDI, ACE 250
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 09:24:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm considering buying an AT PRO, but wanted to confirm one thing before I did. I currently have an ACE 250 and find the target ID feature is fairly accurate. Is this the case for the AT PRO? Thank you for your help

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27454.msg249897.html#msg249897

Offline HuntingNamibian
Namibian Hunter
Copper Member

Hunting a new democracy is challenging
Namibian Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Namibia

235.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret Ace 250
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 07:28:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

The Ace 250 does not really work for target id's in Southern Africa, since most coins are made from other metals. Still new to MD, so will have learn the tones and gain XP. I am however enjoying the machine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27454.msg255619.html#msg255619

You never know what you might find!!!!!

You never know what you might find!!!!!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: