[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Mike In2mudTopic starter
Bronze Member

My Motto:- Simplest is Best.
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

745.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Safari     Garrett Ace 250,       Garrett Pro Pointer       "The Homer" (Home Built Model)
« on: August 31, 2009, 02:37:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi to every owner of a Garrett Ace 250,
I have made an important discovery, which will improve the depth you can find metal and we've all been doing it without realising it.
Whatever you have found normally can always be pinpointed. Therefore when you use the 'Pinpoint Button' it always penetrates deeper than in 'Normal Mode'.

Ideally fitting an over-ride switch to the pinpoint button is the answer, but I can see no practical way of doing so, as its all sealed in under plastic.

If you can find a way to hold the 'Pinpoint Button' down, then you can run your detector in 'All Metal' (Pinpoint Mode) all the time. Reverting back to normal use by releasing the button.

The only other thing you need to do is to fit a volume control to your headphones, because the 'pinpointing noise' would be deafening all the time.
Some may say, "but I have already got an 'All Metal Mode' on my detector".
Yes, that is true, but that mode is only telling you that you are searching for 'all metals' and not discriminating (notching) any out.
I made this discovery when I was comparing the Ace 250 to the new detector I have built.
My experiment was to find out if my newly built detector would find metal deeper than the Ace 250. I tried a patch of lawn in my garden approx. 3M x 4M and in this I found 29 objects with the Ace 250 I then tried out my new detector and found 5 more objects.
(I couldn't dig them as I am banned from digging holes in the lawn).
I went back to my Ace 250 again and couldn't find them; I then tried the pinpoint button and easily found the items.
I think this test proves the greater depth available beyond doubt.
The 'pinpointing button' when pressed draws the same current as the normal mode.

ps:- I tried this test with my larger ?Pro 12" Coil ? and this found less objects than with the standard coil. I didn't think at the time to try the 'pinpoint mode' with this coil.

So to anyone who has an Ace 250 detector it could be worth a try.

Good hunting Mike.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7589.msg47305.html#msg47305

Offline slingshot
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 02:54:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome
Love my Ace!  Sorry if this seems like a negative to your post, but in a lot of instances the Ace will detect DEEPER than it pinpoints. Cry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7589.msg51917.html#msg51917

Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

745.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Safari     Garrett Ace 250,       Garrett Pro Pointer       "The Homer" (Home Built Model)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 06:20:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Slingshot, sorry for the delay in replying.

I love my Ace too, but I'm always trying to find ways to improve my finds rate, can you tell me how you set your Ace up or what conditions allow you to detect deeper than using the pinpoint.

Best regards Mike.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7589.msg53818.html#msg53818

Offline slingshot
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 08:05:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The Ace DOES detect deeper as the coil speeds up. So many people speed up the coil on an iffy target in little short sweeps just about 4" in length over the target to get better info. The trick is to not go so fast that you don't give the Ace time to process the info. Otherwise, adding the larger coil is the other way. Good luck! Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7589.msg54071.html#msg54071

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 11:22:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've heard that ACE150 wasn't all that great. Don't know about ACE250???

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7589.msg54095.html#msg54095

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 11:31:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Detecting Mike-  building your own detector-sounds neat. I sure would like to learn how, but it sounds real complicated when I hear the techies talk about it---all those formulas and all. I've helped a detector building buddy build some stuff-but I actually knew very little about what the process involved. I poured the epoxy in coils or helped glue in components for underwater headphones-simple stuff like that. you ought to post a few tips on getting started on building homebuilt detectors--some of us would like that---of course, you may have already done so--I'm new to this site. One thing that is neat about the Ace 250, is that it has some decent features like meter and and all for the money--pretty decent for the money, I suppose.Good luck treasure hunting.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7589.msg54098.html#msg54098

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:39:13 pm by treasuremomo »
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

745.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 06:41:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Treasuremomo,
The Ace 150 doesn?t have a pinpoint or as many features as the Ace 250, it is a bit basic. Of the two I would definitely get the Ace 250.
If you were looking for a detector to buy I would read a lot of reviews on as many different detectors as possible before deciding.

With regard to building your own detector.
I have posted a complete subject on building a ?Tesoro Bandido detector? using a ?Strip board layout?. I posted it as I built it, but I wouldn?t recommend you build it if you have had no experience of building circuits, unless you know someone who has some experience to help you.
Buying the parts the first time can be expensive, because some of them you have to buy in bulk.

If you want to look at the subject :- go to Message Boards ? Tech Talk ? Modifications, Do It Yourself & Repairs ? Strip Board Layout for the Bandido II U Max.
If you do decide to build it you need to read it through, because throughout the text there is little tips and useful bits of information.
I have completed my one and built my own DD coil for it. But I had a few problems myself building it.

All the best Mike.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7589.msg54223.html#msg54223

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 07:38:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Mike, sounds neat that you built the bandito type machine-but are there any set ground balance type instructions or schematics to build something like a Cibola or Conquistador where I would end up with an easier to use machine--I've thought about maybe taking some courses in electronics at junior college or trade school or just getting some books like electronicss for dummies or something like that to help me understand more of what it takes- how much theory does it take and how difficult is the theory for someone that don't exactly like math that well? 
     I bought a used bandito 2 umax a while back and got my money back--just don't care for the manual ground balancing stuff---maybe it's not that difficult tune? Is the 3 turn ground bal all that difficult to tune? Isn't that what type is on the bandido 2 umax? I've never really cared for it though--that's why I buy the auto or preset ground bal types usually.  Good hunting mike! and tell me this-can a circuit for a Conquistador or something else like that be tweeked a bit to give it a little extra penetrating power in the soil?  NOTE: I'll be heading out of town in the morning (friday) and wont have a computer hooked up till probably monday sometime-don't have internet access over at mom's-ha!But I'll be looking forward to your anwers when I get back on monday--good luck hunting Mike!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7589.msg54234.html#msg54234

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:59:07 pm by treasuremomo »
Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: