[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline saltfisherTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

255.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ACE 250, Whites Prizm 4
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2009, 04:04:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A friend of mine is at the beach now and he said the waves are HUGE, and the water is comming up pretty far from where it normally does. He said there is seaweed that the waves brought in within 20ft from the dunes. Should I search this seaweed area?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7324.msg45525.html#msg45525

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2009, 05:10:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by saltfisher
A friend of mine is at the beach now and he said the waves are HUGE, and the water is comming up pretty far from where it normally does. He said there is seaweed that the waves brought in within 20ft from the dunes. Should I search this seaweed area?

This is probably one of the only times I will ever recommend a random search. Search it all till you drop. Find a hot spot? Tell no-one except your dad.

No kidding!!!

Good luck! Have fun!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7324.msg45532.html#msg45532

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 05:27:58 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline saltfisherTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

255.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ACE 250, Whites Prizm 4
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2009, 05:41:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds good. I will post my finds. Just a few hundred yards from shore a spanish ship sunk many years ago that was carrying 200 barrels of half pennies, and 2 barrels of those gold guinees (dont know how they are spelled). Every time a big blow like this comes in, people in that area know about it, and hit it hard. They do find many coins on this beach. Its nickname is "coin beach".

Should we search where the seaweed is, where the last high tide came in? pretty much right at that transition from wet/dry sand? People have told us to "look for all the sea shells where the waves brought them in, and look there. Because if the waves dropped all those shells there, then there will be coins with them"

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7324.msg45536.html#msg45536

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2009, 05:48:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If the wave action is strong enough to bring gold coins airborne, they could be anywhere. Use your imagination like a Disney movie and picture how it would have to happen. Remember, sometimes the wave action TOOK sand away - it didn't deposit sand each time. Thus, you are looking for coins that may have been tosses ashore by previous wave action, not that just from Bill.

Depending on how the water levels rise during the tidal surge of the hurricane, it could easily do both. It could throw items ashore at the same time as it removes sand. Should the coins settle, they will likely be left behind. There are actually institutions that study wave action and they make the data available for researchers. As an odd consequence, it also becomes available to us in may ways. Do a Google search on the terms 'study ocean waves' or 'ocean engineering' for hundreds of sites to research while you wait for your chance to go wild on the beach.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7324.msg45543.html#msg45543

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 05:51:39 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline tabdog
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2009, 05:55:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Found at this site,

Please Register or Login

http://www.best-metal-detectors.com/2009/01/23/garrett-ace-250-metal-detector/

Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector

Articles brought to you by Bounty Hunter & Garrett Metal Detectors

The Garrett Ace 250 is a good machine for the price for an entry level machine. It is light weight and easy to set up so is suitable for a novice. The machine can often be bought with lots of accessories such as a trowel, headphones and headphone pouch. The depth sensitivity is not great, it will detect coins at around 4-6″ and the sensitivity is sometimes too high so it sees a lot of trash, especially aluminium, so you may need to turn the sensitivity down which will also decrease the depth.
There is no ground balance feature on this machine so it won?t perform well in areas with a lot of minerals. It is also poor on wet sand or surf so keep to the dry part of the beach and regular soil. There have been reports that pinpoint is inaccurate but we found if you do it correctly it works fine. The headphones have no volume control so you might want to replace.

Sorry, but automatic ground balance in most cases is the same as factory pre-set,
as it is with the 250.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7324.msg45546.html#msg45546

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 05:58:59 pm by tabdog »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2009, 06:28:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by tabdog

Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector

Articles brought to you by Bounty Hunter & Garrett Metal Detectors

The Garrett Ace 250 is a good machine for the price for an entry level machine. It is light weight and easy to set up so is suitable for a novice. The machine can often be bought with lots of accessories such as a trowel, headphones and headphone pouch. The depth sensitivity is not great, it will detect coins at around 4-6″ and the sensitivity is sometimes too high so it sees a lot of trash, especially aluminium, so you may need to turn the sensitivity down which will also decrease the depth.
There is no ground balance feature on this machine so it won?t perform well in areas with a lot of minerals. It is also poor on wet sand or surf so keep to the dry part of the beach and regular soil. There have been reports that pinpoint is inaccurate but we found if you do it correctly it works fine. The headphones have no volume control so you might want to replace.

Sorry, but automatic ground balance in most cases is the same as factory pre-set,
as it is with the 250.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

TD, you are missing the point about the ground balance. There IS ground balance, as they clearly admit, it's just not manually adjustable. It is not preset - what do you set it to? - evidenced by the fact that there's not a different model for each soil condition.

With all that in mind, I wrote to the factory and asked about it. This isn't in the manual so those who are religious about the manual and don't care about other information should ignore my advice here. But it did come from the very engineers who designed the unit as opposed to those who simply want to turn it on and go. You of all people should know about eking out every nuance of a detector's capability. You work miracles with your Compadre.

I am intending to buy an Ace250, a pair of them actually, in the near future so I have done my research. I am an electronics design engineer by training and career so I speak the language of the engineers at Garrett. With proprietary information at stake, I was careful with my wording but the answer is simple. The machine ground balances to the first proximity to soil mass. This is no easy feat but the ground balance is set that way. Not to a factory preset condition but to the first proximity. In their manual, rather than go through the process I outline, they simply suggest the easy solution. Turn down the gain - which is the sensitivity control. That reduces both the target depth detection and hides the annoying warble of trash or mineralization.

If the treasure hunter were to stride out to the salt water laden area and turn on the machine, it would tune to those conditions from the start and when they move to dryer sand, they'd be tuned for the wrong conditions. Since there's no audio to indicate that, the consequence is missed targets. When you know you have moved, you should use the retuning procedure I outlined.

This is clearly a case of the old adage of "know your machine" rather than just use the manual. Even Windows has hidden features and a whole bunch of programmer inserted jokes within the operating system. Shocked? Why? They have a sense of humor too and have embedded a list of the entire programming branch names right into the operating system. Is that in the manual? Hehehehe. Right.

I get sick to death of trying to convince those non-believers here and I wasn't totally convinced at first even after getting a reply from Garrett. I went out to the local detector shop and rented one for the day. I gave it a real workout recording my results to aid me in my decision to invest the $500.00AU to buy one. Yes. Customs and shipping to Australia is brutal. But I want to buy two and that's a significant investment.

Those who disbelieve this can just disbelieve. I only wish they'd stop telling anyone that what I propose is incorrect. In fact, I have to wonder about their motives. After all, it's not as if I am selling the Ace250. I am merely trying to tell people how to maximize the machine in the field. My advice is harmless if they are right but an absolute treasure if they are wrong. Outback has admitted he is a former user of his Ace250. If he weren't so adamant about the failings of his machine, I'd advise him to give it another chance.

Thanks for your interest in this thread and your input, TD. Just think about how you make your Compadre sing while others consider it a dud of a machine. That, by the way, is a comment I got here from a dealer. Instead, I took your words and decided that I too can make my Compadre sing when it arrives in the mail. Can't wait for it to get here. I bought it for the wife. Yeah. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7324.msg45550.html#msg45550

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline tabdog
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2009, 09:54:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Does that mean that all VLF detectors ground balance?

I am corn fused Huh?

HH,

Tabdog

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7324.msg45567.html#msg45567

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2009, 10:46:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by tabdog
Does that mean that all VLF detectors ground balance?

I am corn fused Huh?

GroundHog ADS did and that one is over 30 years old. VLF/TR, it was. It had both manual and automatic ground balance. The DeepSeeker did, too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7324.msg45573.html#msg45573

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Beachcomber
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

1360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sovereign GT C Scope 550 Minelab Quattro Compadre
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2009, 01:05:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

The ACE 250 has a FIXED, FACTORY SET ground balance THAT WILL NOT CALCULATE, TRACK oor ADAPT ITSELF to ground conditions

Thought I had made it clear in another post.

While some lose time in childish discussions, the grown ups find good stuff, incl in the wet sand, with specialty detectors.

Getting bored of those vain discussions. If you can't read a simple product catalog, it is very sad.

HH

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7324.msg45592.html#msg45592

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2009, 01:40:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Beachcomber
The ACE 250 has a FIXED, FACTORY SET ground balance THAT WILL NOT CALCULATE, TRACK oor ADAPT ITSELF to ground conditions

Not it does not. The ground balance is calculated from the first proximity to the ground as it powers up.

Quote:Posted by {author}
Thought I had made it clear in another post.

Clear as mud but not true. You were wrong. You are still wrong.

While some lose time in childish discussions, the grown ups find good stuff, incl in the wet sand, with specialty detectors.

Then do tell everyone why you continue to participate in such a "childish" discussion. Enlighten us as to your weakness and how you are compelled to become so childish yet again.

Getting bored of those vain discussions. If you can't read a simple product catalog, it is very sad.

You mean the one that says it uses automatic ground balance? That one?

This is where you should look:

Please Register or Login

http://www.garrett.com/hobby/hbby_ace_250_key.htm

See bullet item number two - second from the top. "Power on the detector with the touch of a button. Ace250 auto-adjusts for ground minerals and is ready to search!"

That is from Garrett and their catalog. Can you read that? Do you understand the "auto-adjusts" part? That is not pre-set. That is auto-adjust.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7324.msg45595.html#msg45595

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:42:06 am by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
Jump to: