[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ringfinder7
Ringfinder
Copper Member

Ringfinder
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

271.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites TDI,GPX 4500,Garrett Infinium, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Fisher F-75, Whites XLT, Minelab X-terra 70, Garrett ACE 250
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 04:37:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for your reply.  I bet if I knew where you lived, I could find some information for you. I look at all the old plat maps, ones from your local area in it's early years. Here in Ohio, I am talking 1860's in my area.  I am sure in your area, it is much older.  I look for old one room school houses, church sites that are no longer standing and so forth.  Metal Detecting all takes a little will power, the finds are there,  you just have to work for them.

HH< Ringfinder

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7482.msg75377.html#msg75377

Offline crystalhunter
Pull Tab

Treasure hunting...I LOVE the thrill.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Canada

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret Ace 250
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 06:06:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Ringfinder.
I live on Vancouver Island about 30 mins north of Victoria. I have been researching the area, mostly old mills and mine that started towns around here around 1890 and up. The last couple of times I was out I went to a site of an old mill that was established from 1881 to 1945. The first mill burnt down a week before Christmas in December of 1918 and was replaced by what became the largest of the three mills to operate this site.
The original 10 to 15 man show grew to an operation using about 150 men in the mill and 100 men in the woods. It could produce around 100,000 board feet annually. The fire, which destroyed the big mill, occurred on August 12, 1934. It smouldered for a year and a day in the large sawdust pile; then on August 13, 1935, it blazed into activity again, fanned by a strong wind, and completed the job of destruction. The second fire took with it the Mill Store, the old mill cookhouse, and five dwellings. In September of 1936 a third mill was built on the site. It was much smaller and fire again took its toll in 1944. This time the mill was never rebuilt and the timber found other outlets.
We do have an old one room school house buy many  years ago it was converted into a church and I just feel funny metal detecting near a church! LOL

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7482.msg75391.html#msg75391

Offline Ringfinder7
Ringfinder
Copper Member

Ringfinder
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

271.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites TDI,GPX 4500,Garrett Infinium, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Fisher F-75, Whites XLT, Minelab X-terra 70, Garrett ACE 250
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 08:59:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Very interesting story.  I'm not sure how Canada set up there school houses, but here in the US, it was set up that in every state, in each county a school house would be built in section 16 of each township. From that spot in each township and school house would be built every two miles in each direction.  That means a child would have no more that one mile to walk to school, of course sometimes this didn't hold water, just because of how many houses were built in each township. But it is something to go by.  If you can find an old map that shows that old one room school house on it, look and see how far the next school house was.  It might surprise you. 

Don't be afraid to ask for permission to hunt that old school house/ church.  The only thing that can happen is you will be turned down.  If you  are granted permission to hunt the site, make sure you are very careful on how you dig your targets.  It is a good idea to practice digging targets.  Try using a piece of plastic, maybe a small plastic bag will do.  Pinpoint your target, lay the plastic near where you are going to dig, when you dig the dirt out of the hole, place it on the plastic bag.  After retrieving the target, pour the dirt back into the horseshoe hole that you dug. Fold the dirt clod back over into the hole and stamp it down.  By doing this you leave no trace of where you dug. 

When others see how well you take care of your digging, I can bet you will be permitted to hunt other sites.  If you find something pertaining to the church, it would be really great if you put it in a frame and gave it back to the church.  A little PR goes a long way in our hobby. 

Just some thoughts for you to go by.

HH, Ringfinder

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7482.msg75420.html#msg75420

Offline crystalhunter
Pull Tab

Treasure hunting...I LOVE the thrill.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Canada

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret Ace 250
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 09:55:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you Ringfinder! I love these sites...us newbees can get lots of helpful ideas.
If our lovely liquid sunshine that keeps BC green will let up this weekend I'll be out digging holes and will let you know what if I find anything interesting. I can't wait for daylight savings next month, I'll be able to do searching after work!
Happy Hunting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7482.msg75490.html#msg75490

Offline collector88
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 09:06:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I bought a ACE 250 last year, I've had at least 50 hours of practice with it and have found a few items. Not much, but I'm taking your input to practice. The only real treasures I've found with it is a 1963 quarter, a 1943 mercury dime and a 1903 dog tag. The rest has been foil, nails and the sort.  I'll just keep on Detecting.
Mark

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7482.msg81667.html#msg81667

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 11:19:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by collector88
I bought a ACE 250 last year, I've had at least 50 hours of practice with it and have found a few items. Not much, but I'm taking your input to practice. The only real treasures I've found with it is a 1963 quarter, a 1943 mercury dime and a 1903 dog tag. The rest has been foil, nails and the sort.  I'll just keep on Detecting.
Mark

Mark,

I'm guessing here but your problem may be more technique than machine. I advise anyone who complains of not having enough result in the goodies column to SLOW DOWN your coil swing and overlap your swing pattern.

You see, the actual area of detection is cone shaped from the coil to the end of the detection zone. That makes it about the size of a dime at the bottom. If you overlap by around half a coil length, you will put your maximum field strength over a greater area. Slowing your swing gives your machine more time to give you an indication of a target. The good news is your internal computer in the Ace 250 is quite good. The bad thing is that it takes time to analyze a target and if you move to fast in your swing, your target can't be analyzed and the good old Ace remains silent. You could be missing targets because of your swing.

If I've guessed wrong and the only reason you haven't found the goodies is because you have only been out detecting once, then I stand corrected. But with a nice silver quarter and dime to your credit, I'd suggest that my initial guess is correct.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7482.msg81692.html#msg81692

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:22:46 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline RJ39NY
GW BUTTON HUNTER
Bronze Member

GW BUTTON HUNTER
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

715.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garret Ace 250/Whites MXT PRO
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 08:38:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

[teach]why would running the wire straight up the first shaft make a differance?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7482.msg85459.html#msg85459

-RJ Silverstein GW Button Hunter-

Offline dinger45
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

330.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher x 1265 * Garrett ace 250  * Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 08:52:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have no idea but it seems to perform better and this was a tip that i had heard. The best thing you can do is just keep testing the unit and getting more experience with the way it works. One of the other things is to go both ways over the target this will determine, good both ways its usually a good find, if it show junk going the other way it usually is junk.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7482.msg85462.html#msg85462

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 10:53:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by RJ39NY
Teach why would running the wire straight up the first shaft make a differance?

The detector can actually sense its own coil wire. When you run against the shaft and secure it there, it is at a 90 degree angle to the coil and makes minimum interference with the coil. Also, since the machine is a motion type detector, when you bump the coil, the wire wiggles giving a false reading.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7482.msg85487.html#msg85487

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline RJ39NY
GW BUTTON HUNTER
Bronze Member

GW BUTTON HUNTER
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

715.00 Gold