[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ViracochaTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Sea Hunter II , Makro JeoTech Led
« on: August 03, 2011, 12:26:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Decided to visit an old ghost town close to where I live.  Here is some history:

The first European activity in the area was gold mining, with the staking of the first claim in 1887, and the establishment of the Town of Fairview in 1890 on the benches above Oliver to the west. Folklore has it that a one armed gold prospector named Reid discovered gold in this area, and the Town of Fairview (located just outside what is now known as Oliver) became home to gold miners, ranchers and businessmen. Fairview was one of B.C.’s largest towns at the turn of the century. The gold rush died and sadly, so did Fairview, with Oliver springing up in its wake.

Fairview's life was short; the post office was closed in 1926. One of the few remaining buildings from the town, the Fairview Jail, has been moved to the Oliver museum site.

Off of 97 you take a right on 350... 350 turns into Fairview rd. and you keep going up into the mountains and then you come to a historical marker.  There I was ready to dig a few 1800 coins from the hotel that burned down there.

Not one building is standing.  All that is left are several fields with tall grasses.  I set up my gear and headed off into the abyss....... There is so much junk in them there fields!  nails every few inches, very rusty bottle caps, broken pottery and bottles, crushed cans, and rusty pieces of metal everywhere..... And all this under about 4 inches of very loose dry soil.  It's like someone bulldozed the town and dumped a thick layer of dirt on everything!

My Jeotech was going berserk....  I didn't even have barely a 2 foot square to ground balance (Turkish two step)

Even the void detection was off the chart.. darn those mar mites

Most of the signals I got came back as Ferrous.. and they where.  I dug most of them anyway, just to see...nails nails nails bottle caps, rusty bits of something, crushed cans!...no gold!

Hell yeah i'm going back... there has got to be something in them there hills!

Anyone with old pictures or maps of the area would be a great help!

Posted on: August 03, 2011, 11:21:09 AM
Here is the marker close to the town site and the map as well.. not the town map, just the general location.

Posted on: August 03, 2011, 11:54:53 AM
Here are some pics of the site!

Posted on: August 03, 2011, 12:12:05 PM
Here is a link for more information:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://osoyoosmuseum.ca/mining_fairview.htm

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26852.msg189453.html#msg189453

There are 4 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Fairview map.jpg
Fairview picture A.jpg
Fairview picture B.jpg
Fairview sign.jpg

EarthKinEnergy.com  :We bring green ideas to Light!"

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:41:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Virachoca

A very interesting ghost town site. Perhap a good place to swing a metal detector.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26852.msg239805.html#msg239805

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: