[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 19, 2010, 12:53:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I published this article in Western and Eastern Treasure May'1982

Ghost Towns of Galveston Island

Galveston Island is 32 miles long, average of two miles wide, and is almost all part of the city of Galveston,, Texas. But at one time there were at least two other settlements on the island.
The first is Nottingham; a small m centered around a lace factory built in 1892. The original owners of the factory were W.H. Pollard and E.E. Danna, who employed around 200 Irish girls.
  The town grew rapidly and soon had several stores and a good number of residences.  There was a narrow gauge railroad which ran from the City of Galveston through Nottingham on down the island a short way. The grade on which the rails were is still visible and can be followed several miles.The 1900 storm completely wiped the town and damaged the factory so bad it was dismantled and the machinery moved out. It is interesting note that the school house floated away and was later recovered and moved closer to Galveston, where it was used for many years. All that is now left of Nottingham is the foundation of the lace factory and two large vats used for dyeing the lace.
The town is now just a cow pasture which old Stewart Road runs through. Most of the town is now on private  property,  but  permission to hunt can be received from the owner.
   A mile west of Nottingham is South Galveston, which was a resort started in 1895. The main event seems to had been a race track where people carried a lot of money and lost a lot of coins, rings, and jewelry. There was also a picnic ground located  at  the end of the railroad, which  saw many a family reunion and church social. At its peak, South Galveston had several stores, saloons, and a population of about 3000 people. But   like   Nottingham and many other early towns on the Gulf, South Galveston  was  wiped out in the storm of 1900.
Part of South Galveston is located in Galveston Island State Park,were the use of a detector is forbidden.
  although not on the island, but across the San Luis Bridge, the town of San Luis was laid out in  1832. Within a few years she had ships calling from all over the world at her 1000 foot dock. The town quickly grew to a population of about 1500 to 2000 people, with several hotels, stores, saloons, and two news?papers.
High tides and storms, along with sand filling and channel, soon had San Luis on the decline, and by 1844 the site was completely abandoned. The many years of storms, winds, and rains, have taken their toll on San Luis. All that remains is an old brick cistern which is about 35 feet across.
Although not ghost towns, there are a number of army forts and out?posts located on and around Galveston Island.
On the west end of the island in 1835 and 1836, there was an army outpost called West End Galveston Station.
During the Civil War the Confederate Army had many forts and outposts on the island. At the foot of the old railroad bridge stood Eagle Grove Fort, and at the head of Offatts Bayou, on Taichman Point, was Fort Moore. There was also Fort Point, Fort Macruder, Fort Sidney Sherman, Fort Bankhead and many others.
During World War II, there were several forts along the beach front used by our soldiers, and many good finds 'have been and are still being made in and around then.
Across the causeway from Galveston Island, is Virginia Point. During the Civil War there were three forts on the point; Fort Hebert, Fort Nelson, and Fort Cook. There was also a town laid out named Virginia Point, but it too was wiped out by a storm. There has also been a number of ship?wrecks on her shore; some were pirate, some merchants, and several Civil War ships.
There has been many home sites on the point, and a lot of them have not been completely hunted. I person?ally have been hunting on the point since 1969, and know of people who have hunted there since 1954, and have made some great finds.
Most of these places are easy to get to. Nottingham has a road running right through it, where Virginia Point is easily reached by boat, but can also be reached after a hike of about two miles. Most of the sites are on private property, and you must ask permission to search.
The Rosenberg Library in Galveston has a very good archives department where maps of all these places can be found. The people who run it are a very helpful bunch.
Galveston is a treasure hunter's dream, with ghost towns, pirate treasure, Civil War relics, bottle dumps, and 32 miles of beach to coin shoot.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15741.msg100991.html#msg100991

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:27:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting read, seldom.   Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15741.msg100998.html#msg100998

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 05:31:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

nice...will have to try and get back down there soon, sound like lots of opportunity

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15741.msg101008.html#msg101008

Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 06:44:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey FG
Last time I checked Virginia Point was owned by UTMB and leased out as I go in by boat have never had a problem. South Galveston is 80% part of the state park but there is a few places east of the park that still produce a few bottles and relics. Nottingham was owned by the same family that owned Lafitte's Grove when I was hunting the area, not sure who owns it now with all the subdividing of property in the last 25 years. If you head this way I will draw you a map and give you a few names that may open doors.

Seldom
Hers a link to a pdf about some work done on Nottingham by the THC in 2008 and published in 2009 in Current Archeology in Texas. The first 8 pages are about Nottingham and has some new info not available in 1982.

Please Register or Login

http://www.thc.state.tx.us/archeology/aapdfs/CAT_Apr_09.pdf

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15741.msg101166.html#msg101166

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 12:05:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

very cool, appreciate that!

its usually our summer vacation spot, but it doesnt look like we are gonna make it this year, bummer!
makes me wish we got some of those govt contracts down there after the storms, woulda been down there for a while

will hollar at you for sure next time i do get to go

thanks again

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15741.msg101294.html#msg101294

Offline moving-to-the-island
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 05:19:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great post; I was not aware of ghost towns on Galveston Island but when you give it some thought, it really makes a lot of sense. As my user name suggests, I'm moving to Galveston in the near future and look forward to following some of your leads. Maybe we can hook up sometime on the island.
Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15741.msg131191.html#msg131191

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 05:28:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by moving-to-the-island
Great post; I was not aware of ghost towns on Galveston Island but when you give it some thought, it really makes a lot of sense. As my user name suggests, I'm moving to Galveston in the near future and look forward to following some of your leads. Maybe we can hook up sometime on the island.
Jim

Hello, moving-to-the-island.   Welcome to THunting.com.  If anyone around here knows Galveston, it's Seldom.  He's been poking around there for longer than many of our members have been alive.

By the way, do us a favor and hop over to the New User Introduction board and say "hello" so the rest of the members can get to know you and give you a proper welcome.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15741.msg131195.html#msg131195

Offline mr-elmo
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

405.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 02:35:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, Seldom
I was raised in Galveston County, and unaware of most of this. I am now way over in Brazoria county (where Texas began)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15741.msg163954.html#msg163954

Offline neslot
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States