[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline capnrichTopic starter
Bronze Member

I'm hungry like the wolf...
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250, GTI 2500, ProPointer, kneepads
« on: August 04, 2009, 06:07:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Guess my file size was too big...here are 3 more pics from our trip.

Rich Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6846.msg41474.html#msg41474

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

more bridge.jpg
nearby boat launch.jpg
poles in woods.jpg

I'm hooked on Thunting!

Offline metal_inspector
Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:12:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Them are some nice pictures.  I got a question about ghost towns, since you are hunting at one there.

Once they are considered ghost towns, do the towns name be wiped off the map? Because, I look at some old maps of Missouri, and I have noticed three townships.  These three townships, as I compared it to a present map, no longer exist.  Would you consider those ghost towns?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6846.msg41492.html#msg41492

-"It is always the mistake of man to confuse insanity with genius"

Asteroids   Ballo   Asteroids v2  
Offline outback
Internet Pirate
Gold Member

Internet Pirate
Thank you11

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 9

1555.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 07:20:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice picture's 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6846.msg41495.html#msg41495

Offline capnrichTopic starter
Bronze Member

I'm hungry like the wolf...
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250, GTI 2500, ProPointer, kneepads
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 08:25:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

metal_inspector,
As far as I know, the old forgotten areas that held buildings are considered ghosttowns.  The town I'm searching for seems to go by two names...Harliss, MN or Harliss Township, MN.  Townships had at least a main townhall and then however many buildings nearby.  I'm still very much a beginner at this, maybe other "veterans" of ghosttown hunting can help us out. I'm definately hitting the local historical societies this winter, when I can't be out detecting.
There is a really cool spot in another town (Hastings,MN) that had 1 of 2 State Hospitals (sanitariums) and I found the original grounds that it housed some of the cottages on. Found the old sidewalks and an old galvanized-pipe fence in concrete in the woods nearby. My son & I want to go back, it's now a park, but lots of the original layout, curved main entrance driveway/road is still there. I earthgoogled the spot and it has potential. I just need to find an old pic or aerialview of where all the buldings were. Very cool stuff! Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6846.msg41504.html#msg41504

I'm hooked on Thunting!

Offline metal_inspector
Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 08:31:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ah, I see.  Heck, I sure would wanting to go back.  I bet it will cough up something for you, probably a lot of modern items.  But, if you are persistent, I'm sure something will come along.

Hm.  I know of three towns that seem to ride along a railroad track, on a Missouri map from 1863 or so.  I know that as railroads were built, towns usually followed them along.  I would have to say, Durgens, Lone Tree and Harden are probably long ago forgotten townships.  I suppose I could find out about them if I hit the towns Historical Society.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6846.msg41508.html#msg41508

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 03:45:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

metalinspector;

I know from genealogy digging, that county lines change, railway lines change, towns disappear, for many reasons, as well as new ones appear.

Most of the county line changing could be political, because the vote changes, others have industrial/personal/opportunistic/financial/entrepreneurial changes. Something as simple as a rail spur closing, can cause a small town to crater.

I  keep thinking, every time I read about ghost towns, on the forum, thinking of Saskatchewan, Canada... there are hundreds of little prairie towns that have died, some right on the main highway, too. Yet some have a couple of residents or are getting new residents.... but the ones that never had a chance to recover, have potential for us THers.

Quite often the reason is a one industry town that has lost its industry, like Cassiar, BC, which was built around asbestos mining. It is in the middle of the boondocks anyway. There may still be some residents, in that one, it was too modern to abandon., totally.

And the plot thickens..... er.... was that: the thought plickens?

goldigger (Brian)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6846.msg41620.html#msg41620

goldigger

Offline metal_inspector
Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 08:12:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A friend thought that maybe it was just a creek or river, I knew that was not the case.  I guess that I would have to try and locate them as best as I can.  Of course, they could be under a new town, or where a field might be kept by a farmer. 

There is a historical society in the town next to mine.  I would imagine going there would answer a lot of questions for me.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6846.msg41664.html#msg41664

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 09:20:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

metal_inspector;

It could be railway related or coal related, like the closing of a mine, perhaps they are sitting right there??

How about Grand Coulee, in Missouri. My gramma lived there as a child; its under water, now. I believe there are some small towns in BC that went under water, as well, in the Arrow Lakes system.

I have maps that show towns that NEVER existed, because a railway was never built. Over in Alberta, they had the habit of naming every township ever surveyed, so there was a new name, every 6 miles. A township, here, is 6 miles on each side for a square of 36 sqare miles, then Canada went metric! Most of these township towns never developed or only had a local hall for community get-togethers.

My grandpa homesteaded, in 1910, at Huallen, Alberta, (named for Hugh Allen, one-time premier of Alberta,) which never existed as a town OR a community, my father went to a rural German school, there, (but did not speak nor learn German,) they lived, for a while at Halcourt, which had a hall, no store, no post office, no school, later, they lived at Beaverlodge, which became the center for all these homesteaders.

Beaverlodge is still there, all the little places, that never really existed, are gone. Last time I was by Halcourt, somebody rebuilt the old hall into a home. I can point out dozens of instances, like this, in Alberta, but only a few in my area, does that mean BC is more stable, I doubt it. Its just the way history rook place.  Funny

goldigger (Brian)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6846.msg41679.html#msg41679

goldigger

Offline metal_inspector
Silver Member

Coin_Inspector
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4353.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTP 1350
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 09:37:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldigger
metal_inspector;

It could be railway related or coal related, like the closing of a mine, perhaps they are sitting right there??

How about Grand Coulee, in Missouri. My gramma lived there as a child; its under water, now. I believe there are some small towns in BC that went under water, as well, in the Arrow Lakes system.

I have maps that show towns that NEVER existed, because a railway was never built. Over in Alberta, they had the habit of naming every township ever surveyed, so there was a new name, every 6 miles. A township, here, is 6 miles on each side for a square of 36 sqare miles, then Canada went metric! Most of these township towns never developed or only had a local hall for community get-togethers.

My grandpa homesteaded, in 1910, at Huallen, Alberta, (named for Hugh Allen, one-time premier of Alberta,) which never existed as a town OR a community, my father went to a rural German school, there, (but did not speak nor learn German,) they lived, for a while at Halcourt, which had a hall, no store, no post office, no school, later, they lived at Beaverlodge, which became the center for all these homesteaders.

Beaverlodge is still there, all the little places, that never really existed, are gone. Last time I was by Halcourt, somebody rebuilt the old hall into a home. I can point out dozens of instances, like this, in Alberta, but only a few in my area, does that mean BC is more stable, I doubt it. Its just the way history rook place.  Funny

goldigger (Brian)

Hm, that is quite interesting.  I know, having studied the history of my town.  That there has not been any kind of mine around us.  However, there was Mineral Water in our town.  In the mid-1860s, this Mineral Water was like literal gold to the townspeople.  It was said, in a archive newspaper around that time period, that it healed every ailment, if one either drank or bathed in it.  That was a very popular subject back in the day. 

That same Mineral Water is now more of a tourist site, than anything.  It sure has a pungent smell to it though!!

I am not quite sure, but I would have to check on the towns in the Historical Society.  Like you said, there could not of really been actual townships there, but just been on the map.  I am not certain, but I would have to look into it.  I do know, however, that land could have changed in over 140 years. 

Too, a railroad runs right through the riverfront community.  Those three ghost towns(As I will call them for now) were right along the line with my town and the neighboring town.  Harden, Durgen in between my and the neighboring town, and Lone Tree south of my town.  There is an old train depot at the river front, by the tracks.  There is only but a cement foundation left now.  You can climb right into it, and detect it.  Haven't found anything, but it sure is interesting. 

~Metal_Inspector~

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6846.msg41683.html#msg41683

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 05:28:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

metal_inspector;

One sure has to watch these  names, I almost used metal_detector....

I watched a documentary on Great Lakes ghost towns, in Ontario, ones that never had a road, other than a railroad, because the lake handled all freight  and personal travel. 

It changed, and now there is Port this and Port that, just foundations.... if they used cement. You have to have a boat to access them, but they would be great hunting!

I am not a water person..... however, I do want a small airboat.

goldigger (Brian)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6846.msg42072.html#msg42072

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: