[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:07:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all

Pleasure beach was a town with a fun park in Connecticut, it was home to a popular amusement park of the same name. From 1904 to 1919, it was called "Steeplechase Island." The amusement park was accessible primarily by ferry service and a wooden swing bridge built in 1919 to carry automobiles and pedestrians. Remaining structures from the amusement park are the carousel, dodge-'em car enclosure, and beer garden (the latter was substantially altered for use as a summer theater in the 1960s).

After a portion of the bridge burned in 1996, Pleasure Beach was cut off and became accessible only by a lengthy trek along the shoreline, or by small private boats from the mainland. This has severely limited access and allowed nature to be undisturbed.

The Town of Stratford owns 45 cottages on the Long Beach portion of the peninsula. For a decade, the town considered ending the leases of the seasonal homes, in part because of difficulties in protecting them. The town ended renewal of leases, and in May 2007, the remaining occupants agreed to give up their claims and moved their possessions away by barge. However by 2010 the whole site was bulldozed and the hopes and Dreams of former occupants are but a distant memory.

Where did these people go that lost their homes in our area? They lost their spirit perhaps? Typical of a Ghosts I imagine. And the living, where is their spirit? These ghost towns are a sad reminder of what is happening all across America, and it is not just in older towns. There are new developments that are modern day victims of circumstance.

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15559.msg99995.html#msg99995

There are 4 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

march-694_ctweekender.jpg
march-707_ctweekender.jpg
march-746_2_medium_ctweekender.jpg
pleasurebeachpostcard.jpg

Offline Vikingned
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 06:37:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hardluck,

Having been born and lived, almost all of my life, I found the story very interesting and it surely got me thinking about all the goodies that could be found there today.  There is a large number of detectorist in that area of Connecticut, so I'm sure it's already been gone over a few times already, or more.  But as we all know, no one gets it all....

There is today, a number of places just like the old Pleasure Beach, dotted all along our coastline, that is in Long Island Sound.  I'm 48 today, and one thing I've always realized, Connecticut alone, still holds a lifetime of hunting areas, that one could never hunt all in a lifetime of their own.

Thanks for the story,
                          Ned

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15559.msg99996.html#msg99996

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 07:16:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Ned

I am pleased you enjoyed the post.

I imagine there are many sites in Connecticut worth searching, even some just to visit. If you have any ghost towns in your area you like to share with us it would be most appreciated. Most people think that ghost towns are only in the west in fact there all over the country.

Thanks for your post.

hardluck.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15559.msg100002.html#msg100002

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: