[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline kd5uwgTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quicksilver
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 04:28:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah Ive lurked alot on this site and Seldom always seems to have great information.  I have posted a couple times and he has been of help.  I also have some family property that supposedly has a strong box from a train robbery on it,  back in the 1950's and 1960's they had some treasure hunters and archeologist searching it.  Makes me wish I had a ground penetrating radar I would love to use it on the full 600 acres of our property just to see what may be there as well.  This place is also under research,  unfortunately the portion of the property that the strongbox may be on may not be the family property.

Calvin

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28616.msg202382.html#msg202382

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 07:17:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Calvin

As we have said many times the net is a good place to start research but to get the full picture you will need to visit the local archives. If the town was laid out and plated there is a map somewhere trust me LOL.
I have got to run trying to finish a bottle dig before the rain starts later today. But will see what info I may have when I get back tonight.

Seldom

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28616.msg202556.html#msg202556

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 07:59:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah i need to try to get to the small museum in the county. Issue is its only open during days and time I at work. I have emailed once before a few months back on another project I was/am working on but they new less about what I was researching then I did,  so I shared my research they are currently looking into the stuff I gave them. So they could possibly add some more info to one of the small sisplays they have.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28616.msg202559.html#msg202559

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you293

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 12:39:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If I were in your situation and knew as much about the area as you do, I think I would, as Homefire says, get my detector and do some "boots on the ground" research.  There is always a time for that in your research and this may be your time.   Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28616.msg202714.html#msg202714

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 03:50:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

its an older post, but if you are still looking, have you tried the Texas General Land Office?
they have a great number of old TX maps, copies of originals for sale.

i have a bookmark of another good TX map resource, will have to dig to find that one.
also another great place to search is insurance maps.  it would be the same as mapping out each store in a shopping center today.
these have been very handy for me in past research, one in particular proving that a certain bank existed and its location in the proper era.
insurance maps could prove to be most valuable on this one.

good luck, and would love to join in if i had the time!! will be that way with the family this summer, but like i said....with the family!

Posted on: February 01, 2012, 03:37:22 PM
the site seems to be down right now, but for the insurance maps,  check out the Texas State Library and Archives Commission
they show to have a couple maps of port o conner, but from 1955....not sure if this will help any

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28616.msg212300.html#msg212300

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 07:59:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey foolsgold thanks for your reply.  I am still looking for some maps and will check the Texas General Land Office.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28616.msg212373.html#msg212373

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 03:55:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

anytime, good luck with it! 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28616.msg212439.html#msg212439

Offline prifle
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 05:34:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi, I'm new and I am looking up information regarding Saluria near OConnor Port or Bay--anyway--my search brought me to this websight, so here I am still looking up info regarding Saluria.  Obviously since no one answered this guy whose presence brought me to this neat place, and then you all asked me to change the topic, I am quite confused.  I am a member of San Antonio Area Metal Detectors club.  My interests are artifacts and history, mostly history.   Rider Wise   You can  tell I like to try things, but so far, I am not "hip."  I've been metal detecting for 14 years with various Garrett metal detectors.  Like the 250 the best as far as just turning it on and metal detecting.  Hey, history buffs, what do you know about Saluria?

Posted on: May 14, 2014, 04:54:56 pm
Me new again, here!  I posted my reason for joining and cry for help, and then went to google maps and looked up the map for Saturia, Port Oconnor and Saturia Bayou and found them all--even found that they were all found by Satellite.  No sign of the town at all--no sign of houses or streets, no sign of anything in Bayou.  So I continued looking at the Google search info and found an interesting 5 page history of Civil war and Port OConnor and Saturia: 

Please Register or Login

http://www.txcivwarconf.org/papers/Parsons.pdf
    To all you history buffs out there--we are looking for the Medina Battle sites--2 books have been written about the area, and there is a line of deep sand that may have eradicate everything dropped on the site.  Anyone have any ideas about the Medina Battle?     Detecting  Thanks for letting me participate!
prifle

Posted on: May 14, 2014, 05:21:47 pm
One more time--went to Map of Calhoun County and it's on the site of Polly's Chapel pages--downloaded it and printed it out.  (printed it as full page jpg.   Detecting Detecting [detecting]1863. The block on the island is probably Saturia.  But there is nothing that says it is Saturia, but the mainland is pretty astonishing.  Hopefully, I will be able to read it with a magnifying glass. Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28616.msg275479.html#msg275479

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 05:53:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

As this is your first post not sure what you mean by being ask to change the topic. Now for not answering kd's question it was answered, he was told that the net is a piss poor place to do treasure research a fair place to get basic info but then you have to put boots on the ground and hit the library archives the local historical society's etc.I know several folks here that have thick files on Saluria but they have lots of time and money invested so are not going to share till the time is right.       

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28616.msg275480.html#msg275480

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: