[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline jwhitleyTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter
« on: March 14, 2011, 07:07:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What type of treasures are typical finds of Ghost Towns?  Cache finds or just coin shooting, relics, etc?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22069.msg153462.html#msg153462

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:57:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That would depend on the Town.

Old Mining Ghost towns, I've never found coins.  Just Tons of Condensed Milk and Prince Albert tobacco tins.

The cashes may be there, but I've never found em.

Folks there didn't have much in the line of money and there for didn't loose much.  LOL!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22069.msg153481.html#msg153481

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:59:04 pm by homefire »
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:25:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by jwhitley
What type of treasures are typical finds of Ghost Towns?  Cache finds or just coin shooting, relics, etc?

Most ghost towns that have found their way into treasure literature have been hunted to death. If you can locate a town or two that is lets say virgin then you have a good chance of finding some good relics and coins. As for caches in GT's you will hear of a few being found but not many. Remember GT were abandoned so folks took the valuables with them     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22069.msg153488.html#msg153488

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 08:47:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm going to try this again (I know I answered this earlier, but my reply somehow disappeared)>

I hunt a lot of ghost towns--mostly mining and old railroad towns.  Like Homefire, most of what turns up is Prince Albert cans, condensed milk cans, sardine cans, old cans of peaches, etc, etc, etc, as well as nails by the bucketful and lots and lots of modern shell casings.  On the other hand, we also tend to find pocketwatch parts, razor handles, various tools, the occasional child's toy, silverware, and lots of "tin" siding scraps.  Unlike Homefire, I haven't been on a ghost town hunt yet where at least a few coins and/or tokens didn't turn up.   

A few of the ghost towns have turned up some small caches (under $3 face value).   Like Seldom said, most of these sites were not around for long and the person who first "cached" the "treasure" was still around to take it with them.  In addition, most sites are fairly accessible and have been hunted for generations (literally) which in turn means a lot of the bigger cacehes that may have been there have been found already -- often by the a**holes that ripped apart the buildings indiscriminately looking for hidden treasure and consequently given the rest of us a bad name.

So yeah, you can find some neat stuff in ghost towns, including the occasional coin or token or even small cache, but most of what you will find will be relics (and possibly some jewelry items)....in fact a lot of times your best hunting will come from the town dump rather than the town proper (or the privies if you can find them and have what it takes to persue the treasures hidden below).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22069.msg153497.html#msg153497

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: