[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline kendavid
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines
Referrals: 0

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Master Hunter CX, Treasure Hound
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 07:42:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldigger
What do quarks say? Aflack?

goldigger

That's exactly what they say.. and then they Pierre'  Grin

Ken

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8073.msg51647.html#msg51647

KD

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 01:53:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by kendavid
That's exactly what they say.. and then they Pierre'  Grin

Ken

I think this forum is sharpening you a bit.  Grin

Its almost as funny as the theory on what makes the *noise* in a magnetometer..... you have not read THAT one, I bet: Domains??? Rubbing??? How weird! Check it out and you will see.  Shocked

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8073.msg52164.html#msg52164

goldigger

Offline kendavid
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 09:33:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

I think this forum is sharpening you a bit.  Grin

Its almost as funny as the theory on what makes the *noise* in a magnetometer..... you have not read THAT one, I bet: Domains??? Rubbing??? How weird! Check it out and you will see.  Shocked

goldigger

Well maybe I haven't been sharpened enough because I searched the boards of the forum for domains and rubbing... I even searched the web and came up with an interesting geo-prospecting site but nothing turned up in this forum. Shocked
It sounded "funny" so I really want to read it!  Embarrassed

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8073.msg52215.html#msg52215

KD

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 01:57:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well maybe I haven't been sharpened enough because I searched the boards of the forum for domains and rubbing... I even searched the web and came up with an interesting geo-prospecting site but nothing turned up in this forum. Shocked
It sounded "funny" so I really want to read it!  Embarrassed

You will not find it on the forum, it was mentioned in several pdf,s that I down loaded in a Google search for fluxgate magnetometers... I will see if I can find the exact pdf and upload it. Poisanally, I think it was heifer dust!  Shocked

The lower the operating frequency, the higher the noise level, so I can not find any reason for NOT using a much higher frequency, say the colour burst frequency for NTSC TV, which is 3.579545 mHz and the crystals are cheap, plentiful, and so are the DIP oscillators. I happen to have some T62-6 toroid cores (powdered iron) that I might make a fluxgate sensor with.... I just HAVE to try it.  Cheesy

If I use a 14.31818 mHz xtal, and a FF div by 2, I can set up a phase comparator, with the other FF half, to control temperature variations, or compensate for same. Using 14.31818 should not interfere with the fluxgate action as the 2nd (and unusual) harmonic is what comes out of the second coil of the fluxgate sensor. This would be 7.15909 mHz.

Since I want the amplitude output, I can, also, feed this to a phase comparator, and get the frequency shift component caused by temperature drift. Right?  Cool

Then I will need a logger or strip chart.

I just happen to have a bunch of 3.5795 mHz xtals (hams use them for filters.)

goldigger

Here, have a look:

g

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8073.msg52401.html#msg52401

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:12:24 am by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline kendavid
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2009, 03:45:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

You will not find it on the forum, it was mentioned in several pdf,s that I down loaded in a Google search for fluxgate magnetometers... I will see if I can find the exact pdf and upload it. Poisanally, I think it was heifer dust!  Shocked

The lower the operating frequency, the higher the noise level, so I can not find any reason for NOT using a much higher frequency, say the colour burst frequency for NTSC TV, which is 3.579545 mHz and the crystals are cheap, plentiful, and so are the DIP oscillators. I happen to have some T62-6 toroid cores (powdered iron) that I might make a fluxgate sensor with.... I just HAVE to try it.  Cheesy

If I use a 14.31818 mHz xtal, and a FF div by 2, I can set up a phase comparator, with the other FF half, to control temperature variations, or compensate for same. Using 14.31818 should not interfere with the fluxgate action as the 2nd (and unusual) harmonic is what comes out of the second coil of the fluxgate sensor. This would be 7.15909 mHz.

Since I want the amplitude output, I can, also, feed this to a phase comparator, and get the frequency shift component caused by temperature drift. Right?  Cool

Then I will need a logger or strip chart.

I just happen to have a bunch of 3.5795 mHz xtals (hams use them for filters.)

goldigger

Here, have a look:

g

The only advantage of lower frequencies that I am sure of is penetration capability. The higher the frequency, the higher the power requirement for the same penetration. That's why VLF emitters were so popular with folks that use ground-resistivity detectors (which I think is heifer dust ... too many variables).

Do you think this "Zeus" technology is using fluxgate sensors and phase comparitors to detect temperature variation such as one would find with cavities, metals, water etc. versus normal soil? If so, what sort of power would be required at the higher frequencies to achieve the desired results (assuming a desired depth of up to 150 feet in normal soil).

Ken  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8073.msg52419.html#msg52419

KD

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2009, 06:14:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

The only advantage of lower frequencies that I am sure of is penetration capability. The higher the frequency, the higher the power requirement for the same penetration. That's why VLF emitters were so popular with folks that use ground-resistivity detectors (which I think is heifer dust ... too many variables).

Do you think this "Zeus" technology is using fluxgate sensors and phase comparitors to detect temperature variation such as one would find with cavities, metals, water etc. versus normal soil? If so, what sort of power would be required at the higher frequencies to achieve the desired results (assuming a desired depth of up to 150 feet in normal soil).

Ken  Wink

I do not know Zeus technology, but for land use, it does not have to penetrate anything, actually, just take a measure of the local magnetic field.... I can not see penetration... if the field (distortion?) of any orebody or buried metal, reaches the fluxgate.... it will be detected. The thing is it has to be sensitive enough to read the variation. Towed marine versions have to be away from the towing ship so definitely
need a lower frequency, maybe.

The driving signal, is in a toroid, and that does not create a field. The only leakage is straight through the donut hole, just like a black hole, where xrays leak out at the poles. The core saturation creates a 2nd harmonic, and the level of the second harmonic is the indicator.

When you have a crystal oscillator, its output is rich in odd harmonics, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and so on and the even harmonics do not exist, or are very low level. That means 2nd harmonics are a bit unusual.

OK, I figure on using a T62-6 core or a T50-6 core, the winding on the core can be resonant while it is driven with a 5 or 6 turn loop. The outside winding can be resonant at the second harmonic, this would cut the harmonic noise, at least, but not the Domain Rubbing.  Grin

On the low frequency version, enough inductance to achieve resonance just can not be achieved.

I calculated a 40 turn T50-6 will be 6.88 uHY and will need 287.3 pf to resonate to a 3.5795 mHz driving signal. The input would be through a 23 turn loop wound over the resonant coil. The 2nd harmonic coil will have to be some where between 60 and 80 turns, I figure. To be resonance tuned with a variable capacitor. Or am I out to lunch, here.?  Shocked

Sensitivity is the critical thing.  :Smiley

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8073.msg52434.html#msg52434

goldigger

Offline chase3285
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug II, Fisher Double Box
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 12:35:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi GD, your site wouldn't open up, not there anymore... Chuck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8073.msg60893.html#msg60893

Offline GoldDigger1950Topic starter
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 12:52:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by chase3285
Hi GD, your site wouldn't open up, not there anymore... Chuck

Ah, well. Such is life. Try here:

Please Register or Login

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Ivanhoe-Mines-Ltd-TSX-IVN-1077782.html

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8073.msg60896.html#msg60896

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up
Jump to: