[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SedonanTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: November 01, 2009, 07:30:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Terry Armstrong has let the cat out of the bag.

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,280422.0.html

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg56680.html#msg56680

Him thief him fren' of him last Guiney
  Him kill both Priest and Friar,o dear.
    Him cut de troat of piccanniny
      Bloody, bloody buccaneer.

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 12:19:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Most unusual....what's with the cockroach in the box? T-hunters often use "live pointers" to locate caches, but this one beats them all! Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg56835.html#msg56835

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 05:40:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Fake humor from a wannabee. People who are subjected to something new that they don't understand react with this type of response. Most believe our technology has something to do with dowsing, but it does not. It is purely geophysical in design and application.
Bill

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57016.html#msg57016

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 10:14:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

OK so there really wasn't a cockroach in the box then eh? It would be interesting to see how this technology works on land targets as well. Do keep us posted.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57041.html#msg57041

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 12:13:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Sedonan
Fake humor from a wannabee. People who are subjected to something new that they don't understand react with this type of response. Most believe our technology has something to do with dowsing, but it does not. It is purely geophysical in design and application.
Bill

Bill, that joke was in reference to other black box technologies presented in the thread.

In point of fact, magnetometers are not new technology at all. What is new is the availability in the commercial world and hobbyist arena. Magnetometers have been used in the P3 Orion aircraft for years by the US Navy to locate submarines. My kid brother used to fly in them and actually did some magnetometer readings of the Superstition Mountains back in the early 1970s on a training mission. They found thousands of magnetic anomalies in a single training flight. The P3's MAD system (Magnetic Anomaly Detector) was accurate for large objects and today's technology adapts that to more modern computers and more accurate detectors.

Probably uses more modern cockroaches too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57061.html#msg57061

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline James1950
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher ID Excel,
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 01:01:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

geophysical hum, I had to look thay one up.  Shocked modern cockroaches, do they wear their paints real low around their butt's. Just kidding guys, I just thought I would try to be apart of the fun. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57079.html#msg57079

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:07:20 pm by James1950 »
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 02:24:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Actually, the use of the term magnetometer is a misnomer. It does not react to magnetic fields so much as to telluric currents. The units that we designed were used to find ore deposits in the western states in the manner of what is used in deep oil exploration. The fact that both of us are professional divers with over 40 years apiece salvaging old shipwrecks, led us to believe this technology could find shipwrecks from a distance. If you have read the thread by Terry Armstrong above, you will see that is exactly what they do.
Bill

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57087.html#msg57087

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 04:40:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Actually, the use of the term magnetometer is a misnomer. It does not react to magnetic fields so much as to telluric currents. The units that we designed were used to find ore deposits in the western states in the manner of what is used in deep oil exploration. The fact that both of us are professional divers with over 40 years apiece salvaging old shipwrecks, led us to believe this technology could find shipwrecks from a distance. If you have read the thread by Terry Armstrong above, you will see that is exactly what they do.
Bill

Bill, I don't understand why you seem argumentative when everyone here is agreeing that it is fabulous technology. The joke about the cockroaches was made on another forum altogether. No disrespect to you or your equipment has been demonstrated at all.

As to a magnetometer detecting what it does, I'm afraid that those alleged telluric currents are created by the earth's magnetic field and cannot be sensed in the air or in water. They are theoretical currents, not measurable ones. What a magnetometer does is sense changes in magnetic field density or flux field which indicate a possible telluric current.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57107.html#msg57107

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 04:56:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Please point out where in the above post that I have been argumentative. As for your comments that telluric currents do not exist, I refer you to Dobrin: "Introduction To Geophysical Prospecting", and James Wait: "Geo-Electromagnetism". If that is the best that you can do to try to discredit, please do not refer to me directly again.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57117.html#msg57117

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 05:11:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Please point out where in the above post that I have been argumentative. As for your comments that telluric currents do not exist, I refer you to Dobrin: "Introduction To Geophysical Prospecting", and James Wait: "Geo-Electromagnetism". If that is the best that you can do to try to discredit, please do not refer to me directly again.

You argue points in which people are in agreement with your point of view. That's argumentative. As to telluric currents, they are not something I say don't exist. I say that they are theoretical which means they have not yet ever been measured directly but only by inference. I trust you know the difference. A current in a wire, for example, can and does cause a change in the wire which can be measured. The telluric currents you describe may be caused by changes in the earth's magnetic field or by the solar fields which cause the magnetosphere of the earth to change. But has one ever been measured? And then verified to the point of making it something other than a theory?

The magnetometer is a good name for the measuring device and you are free to disagree with the nomenclature. And you did. But the device is referred to by that name as part of a longer name such as "Flux Gate Magnetometer." It is shortened as part of the vernacular of the treasure hunter. An electronics design engineer would refer to it by its full name. But you will never hear of it being referred to as a Telluric Current Sensing Magnetometer because that would truly be a misnomer.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57121.html#msg57121

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: