[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SedonanTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 07:32:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

(Natural electrical currents in the Earth, referred to as telluric currents, were first identified by Peter Barlow in 1847.)
A telluric current (from Latin tellūs, "earth") is an electrical current which moves underground or through the sea. Telluric currents result from both natural causes and human activity, and the discrete currents interact in a complex pattern. The currents are extremely low frequency and travel over large areas at or near the surface of the Earth.
Geophysicists commonly use magnetotellurics for exploration of economic commodities. Magnetic fields in the frequency range of ? Hz to approximately ? kHz are part of the audio-magnetotelluric (AMT) range.
The magnetotelluric method is also used in marine environments for hydrocarbon exploration and lithospheric studies.
'NUFF SAID

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57197.html#msg57197

Him thief him fren' of him last Guiney
  Him kill both Priest and Friar,o dear.
    Him cut de troat of piccanniny
      Bloody, bloody buccaneer.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 11:38:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Telluric currents have not been measured nor can they be with current technology (no pun intended). They are theoretical currents.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57216.html#msg57216

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 12:29:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

It seems that telluric currents have been measured:

Please Register or Login

http://books.google.com.my/books?id=JtdyzZE0HuIC&pg=PT53&dq=telluric+currents+detection#v=onepage&q=telluric%20currents%20detection&f=false

And in Japan, there is research on seismic electrical signals in telluric current data for short-term earthquake prediction. Heck, that's all greek to me. If this technology has evolved into an affordable and accurate cache & void detector with a manual, please let this layman know.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57582.html#msg57582

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 01:14:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
It seems that telluric currents have been measured:

Please Register or Login

http://books.google.com.my/books?id=JtdyzZE0HuIC&pg=PT53&dq=telluric+currents+detection#v=onepage&q=telluric%20currents%20detection&f=false

And in Japan, there is research on seismic electrical signals in telluric current data for short-term earthquake prediction. Heck, that's all greek to me. If this technology has evolved into an affordable and accurate cache & void detector with a manual, please let this layman know.

Read the article. The method for measuring theoretical telluric current is to measure the fields which are magnetic. The actual current is still theoretical. There is no direct, emperical measurement for telluric currents. Scientists theorize that the telluric currents affect the magnetic fields but cannot prove it. They use this to try and explain fluctuations in the magnetosphere but the most likely cause is solar radiation and solar magnetic interferences.

To be frank, it really doesn't matter at all because the real issue is what the magnetic field variations mean. I took exception to the statement that a magnetometer was a misnomer because it doesn't measure magnetic fields. It does. That's ALL it does.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57583.html#msg57583

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 03:00:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Exactly! As long as the magnetic field variations can be used to show pertinent data of a target, that's all that matters (for my purposes anyways). This Johnson Haynie detector seems to be compact (good for discreet scanning) and straightforward to use. I'm intrigued.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57586.html#msg57586

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 07:49:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Golddigger1950
Now I understand why you took exception to my post about the term "magnetometer is a misnomer". What I meant by that is calling my unit a magnetometer is a misnomer. But I still take exception to you saying telluric currents are theoretical. So, we will agree to disagree.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57609.html#msg57609

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 12:51:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Sedonan
Golddigger1950
Now I understand why you took exception to my post about the term "magnetometer is a misnomer". What I meant by that is calling my unit a magnetometer is a misnomer. But I still take exception to you saying telluric currents are theoretical. So, we will agree to disagree.

Perfect! None of this is to say I don't believe that telluric currents exist. I do believe they are there but the sad part is that they simply cannot be measured directly. You can measure what some people call an effect of them but not the actual currents themselves. This, as you know, frustrates a lot of scientists.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg57640.html#msg57640

Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 12:47:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi GD,
I found this while researching Louis Rota. It's interesting to say the least. If science says that telluric currents are theoretical, they must have been saying it for a very long time.
Bill

"Natural electric currents called telluric currents were well known to 19th century scientists. These electric currents are due to induction from disturbances of the earth?s magnetic field caused by solar flares and storms. Magnetic storms induced quite heavy electric currents in the earth?s surface which, while they lasted, blocked telegraph transmission. The sensitivity of the apparatus of the time to disturbance was due to the use of an earth return in the telegraph circuit. The earth return consisted of large buried metal plates one at each end of the circuit. The telegraph circuits stretched sometimes 100 Km in length and consequently magnetic fluctuations due to solar magnetic storms would induce currents in the overhead wires causing spurious telephone/telegraph signals. Magnetic devices such as electrical transformers relays etc. would saturate. On some occasions the electric currents would reach formidable levels. It is likely that the disturbing currents which existed in telephone wires and the rather strange behaviour of these disturbances interested Rota and lead to his research. This is not unknown today [Facts|1]. "

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg60992.html#msg60992

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 05:00:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice reference but you are still not measuring the current itself. It's all theoretical, mate. Sorry.

You seem bent on convincing me that they exist. I do believe they exist. You don't have to convince me. My only comment is that they cannot be directly measured. You can cite all the research you want but there is no direct evidence of telluric currents.

Do I believe they exist? Yes. Can they be measured? No.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg61032.html#msg61032

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 05:07:38 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 05:42:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Now I get it!!! I can detect it, but not measure it. That is what the TH's here in Fla. are asking me to provide. A means of metering the signals so as to determine how far away the objects are. I can't do that, and frankly I don't see the necessity of that as long as I can triangulate.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9042.msg61038.html#msg61038

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: