[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 11:58:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

tabdog;

HEH, HEH, I got a question, first take a look at my upload, this is about 150 km from any benchmark, that MAY exist. Lets say I have a claim, here, and want to find the corners to establish a perimeter, well: How would you do  it, as cheap as possible?

OKAY, let us assume you have answered my question: in BC, the gov provides online maps which are divided into cells, when you stake, you do it online by selecting cells.

The cells are able to provide lat/lon by placing the cursor on the corners and drawing a line to the next corner.. Thus lat/lon are given as start point and end point. BUT.... the gov site also says DO NOT USE FOR NAVIGATION. Implying inaccuracy.

I think this is an interesting quandry... you are damned if you do and damned if you dont!

Brian AKA goldigger

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3461.msg38689.html#msg38689

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

fork6.jpg

goldigger

Offline tabdog
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 05:08:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I know little about staking claims.

The statement "DO NOT USE FOR NAVIGATION" is confusing.

I would guess that the claims are not defined by Lat/Lon. Are
you saying that you can stake a claim online by using these
cells?

The claim probably is defined by tha markers on tha ground.
That is how land in tha USA is defined. You can locate it how
ever you want, but tha markers are supreme, and it is "first
come first serve", so to speek.

The first markers in this area were a few Spanish land grants,
and the tha Survey of tha Lousiana Purchase. Those take
presidence over all other subsequent surveys.

Claims should be with in tha paramiters of tha claim
instructions. Any subsequent claims would be sub to yours,
if they are ajoiners.

That would usually be tha case.

Any permanent GPS monuments needs to meet tha
requirements.

Mapping can be done on temporary BMs that do not
need to be that precise.

Hope that helps. But I just ant smart about claims,

Tabdog

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3461.msg38713.html#msg38713

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 11:17:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

tabdog;

Like I said, all you have to do is select your cell or cells, online, and pay the recording fee, on line. There is NOT a single stake anywhere, it IS defined by NAD83 GPS! But you have NO guarantee of the exact boundary!

Used to be, you went out, set up 2 cairns, with 4x4 posts (4 inch faces on a pieces of log,) put your claim tags on the post, and went and registered it. You had to do a sketch and relate the location to another known object, like a bridge, another claim or?? The problem with that, was there  were claims on claims on claims, like patches on patches because all these fanatic fools could not research or even look for claim posts and tags.... whoever got there first, and registered it, had the best claim to the ground. All THAT has changed, except for legacy claims and crown grants (a hang over from the early 1900s.,) now, you dont have to leave home to stake.

Another thing, one can stake mineral cell claims right on top of placer cell claims, and vice versa... this can lead to problems, but usually, agreements are made, because the hard rock miners can not, legally, wash gravel without owning the placer claim, too. They cant mine, if it will disturb the placer claim. Its tricky.

I have 5 mineral claims, for gem materia,l and they are right on top of several placer claims, including one of my own placer claims. The gem material is soapstone and obsidian.

The placer claim, I could have had in 1981, when I discovered it, I did not claim it, then things went haywire with nuts claiming everything! I have waited for them to clear out, since then, as they NEVER found the gold, and could not legally work it, with machinery, because it is right beside the water.... BC wants to protect the fish, you see. But I can hand work it.

In 1981, I got 10 grains per pan, every where on the bar, worth around 20$ per pan, now, and then too. Unfortunately, I have to locate the shore boundaries by GPS, on the S. shore of an E/W flowing river.... sometimes I cant get a lock, because of trees, and a mountain to the south.

With my van, I can camp, on one of my mineral claims, and walk about 1/4 mi to hand work the claim. One thing I found, about this river, since 1981... gold is NOT where it is supposed to be, on THIS river... its very fast and throws off the whole set of theories.

I could use some accurate surveying!

Brian AKA goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3461.msg38829.html#msg38829

goldigger

Offline Goldguru
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 09:30:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Iseegold
What's the best way to narrow your search once you within a certain distance of the cache? Thanks

use a hand held compass
set the declination E/W for your area into the compass
set compass & Gpsr to show True North
use the goto feature on your Gps (then it will show dist & brg True to target).
get within your 20ft take a brg with your compass.
move off to a spot @ 90 degs from the 1st & take another brg.(approx same distance)
the cache will be very close to where those 2 brgs cross.

Now here lies the real problem..
How Much care did the Hider take to allow his/her gpsr to settle down before they Marked the cache position.

Ive Geocached since 2002.look my nic here up on Geocaching.com  ( I havnt played much lately)

made a fair amount of $$ with the above method.

back in 03 there was a team whom hid Cold Hard CASH in their caches for the 1st Finder. Shocked

BTW down here on the coast we have Richmond which puts out a radio beacon transmission for Gps corrections & with an extra addon device (reciever ant laptop etc) coupled to the gps will (DGPS) result in a HDOP (horizontal diff of position of 1.6 to 0.84 ft. VDOP is approx 12 ft, but remmember strong & steady sat locks required)

invest in a laser range finder Goldigger use it to get the corners from a Position where U can maintain a good Sat lock.that & a good compass you should have lil trouble determining your Cell corners.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3461.msg42779.html#msg42779

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:46:08 pm by Goldguru »
Offline migusch
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Germany

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 07:44:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Back to topic:
You can have the most accurate GPSr, it may not help to get really close to the cache when the owner of the cache did not use the same accurate technology while he hid it. Despite of SirfIII and similar technology there also might be some inaccuracy because of standing in a deep narrow valley with reflecting or shielding terrain or there might have been some atmospheric disturbance when the owner hid the cache.
In most cases you know that you reached your destination because caches are usually hidden at remarkable or "special" spots. Sometimes the spot fits to a story that is told in the cache-listing. So when you know that you are just a stone's throw away from the cache you can turn off your GPSr and switch on "owner psychology". I always think about where in case of the owner I would have put the box. Sometimes it is a little help to know other caches hidden by the same owner, because every owner has his own likes and dislikes in hiding caches.
There also are some useful information in the listing. The cache size and the terrain difficulty helps to eliminate some possible hideouts. When it is "T1" (what means the cache is wheelchair-accessible) you shouldn?t even think about looking in the treetops of the surrounding trees...
There always are some classical or typical hidingplaces that may vary from region to region. In my area caches in the woods are most commonly put between the branching roots (above soil-surface) at the base of trees. Those boxes are covered with leaves, moss, twigs and sometimes stones. One more advanced hideout may be a hollow tree or branch. Caches in urban regions have other typical hiding-places. The more caches you already have found, the more easy it will be to find the next one. But besides the gained experience I always trust on my gut feeling, because some locations tell me that there is something very special waiting for me to be explored.
In most cases its recommended to have a close 360 degree look-around before you begin to flip every stone, because one tends to oversight the most probable (which means the best) hiding place.
Happy hunting! 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3461.msg78532.html#msg78532

Offline altjo
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XLT
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 08:56:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have found that many caches are placed intentionally a distance from the posted coordinates.  It makes for more of a search and fun....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3461.msg93291.html#msg93291

Offline stringybark
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter tracker 4
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 03:02:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Don't forget guys, if the original (posted) coordinates were done with an average GPS, it doesn't matter how good your gps is.

Oops, wrote this on page one, didn't realise this had aready been said......

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3461.msg196076.html#msg196076

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:04:35 am by stringybark »
Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: