[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline May Flint
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 11:09:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hiya,  Been away prospecting myself and come back with some lovely finds.  I am so pleased to hear we now have ONE panner with official recognition in Wales.  Is this the start of something good??  I do hope so.  How can I become the second panner with official recognition?  I want to be out there now that there is someone on the water again.  Lovely weather - hope you are enjoying it?  Has there been much damage to the water course this year due to the heavy snow?  I have stayed away due to the ban.  Off again prospecting again soon but will keep in touch.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21313.msg152396.html#msg152396

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 11:26:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi May welcome back glad to see you got some panning in did you manage to find much, how was the water cold i bet
i have alot of respect for Panners coz this weather has to be the worst and the water temp must make it hard, I thimk
Waulespan is making progress and hopefully he can give us all the good news and everyone can get back to what we like
doing and if the waether breaks then that might be sooner than we think,

If you get the chance do you think you can post some pictures???  It would be great if you could especially for our friend
from across the pond because i know it's a thing close to they're heart and as for me I just love pictures,
Hpoefully Waulespan will post us the info on how we can join as soon as he gets in touch, I will make sure your the first
to know.

you take care

we'll talk soon

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21313.msg152402.html#msg152402

Offline WaulespanTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2011, 06:28:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

The Crown Agents have confirmed today that they have now passed my queries about the relevant legislation on river gold to the Crown Estate. Their lawyers may take some time to respond. However, it is my position that the Crown Prerogative only applies to gold and silver ores from mines.
It is also clear that forestry officers have been acting illegally when they have acted in the name of the Crown, demanding to see panning licences and booting members of the public off access land. Now, a few leading BGA members tried to undermine my campaign on behalf of all leisure panners, but many BGA members and independent panners were supporting me. I am very grateful to this forum for the opportunity to get discussions going. Information is power, and I believe that information should be shared freely. Power to Panners!
There are many areas in Wales which are not affected by the misleading signs, which are only on parts of the Mawddach and Wen. The Environment Agency confirmed that there was no ban on panning as such. The signs would be more helpful if they stated that panners should be careful not to cause any damage, such as bank digging or working in teams, which could possibly lead to fish fry kills in extreme circumstances, such as shoals in stranded pools during low water. After the false stories about endangered mussels, otters etc, were debunked, salmon and trout are the only issues now. I have asked CCW to provide more detailed information to the public about the location of fish spawning areas and other scientific data.
It puzzles me why the BGA spread the misleading rumour that panning was banned in the whole of Wales. As I was blamed for a ban which didn't actually happen, I am expecting an apology from BGA.
CCW has now reluctantly accepted that panning can actually be beneficial to fish, for instance, clean gravels from sluices in the Spring and Summer can be used for spawning redds in the Autumn and Winter. I carried out a week long demonstration for the authorities on the Wen, in the face of threats of ?30,000 fines just for standing in the water with a pan, and they had to back down. They have also now agreed to remove a large tree bole which is creating a forced pool reach and which could demolish the Wen bridge in the event of another flood event.
So, ignore the stories of doom from the BGA, it is safe to return to Wales, for leisure panning. But the authorities agree that commercial panning courses are unlawful, not only in Wales, but in Scotland and England too. The BGA should now distance itself from these unlawful activities. There are plenty of decent minded panners who will show newcomers the ropes for free. Although I am a relative 'greenhorn', this isn't rocket science, and I have learned a lot in a few years from some lovely old timers.
I will keep you all posted.
Brian Wright   Gold Rivers Trust

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21313.msg152612.html#msg152612

Offline May Flint
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2011, 06:40:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome back Brian and I can see you have been doing lots of research and looking into the sites we can use.

How about I get a group of 20 to come down this weekend and join in?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21313.msg152613.html#msg152613

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2011, 07:10:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

You mentioned it is not allowed to dig away river banks, fair enough.

Just for clarification. what can you do? Can you use hand crevice tools in the bed of the river, hand pump out potholes in river bead, use water fed sluices? What are the parameters of what you can do? Are you just allowed a gold pan?

Do you need a fossiking permit or license? Are some rivers off limits or affected by certain fish spawning seasons?

All of the above was allowed in N.S.W Australia providing no power generated tool used such as dredges or heavy mining equipment.

I am interested to see what is actually allowed.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21313.msg152616.html#msg152616

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 07:28:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you Brian for this fantastic up date, But most of all i would like to thank you for allowing us to play a small part in this/your
victory on behalf of the Panners within the UK and those who wish to come here from Overseas and enjoy this great hobby/pastime
But most of all thank you for your honesty, time and Profession attitude that you have displayed whlie trying to find some common
ground with all parties concern.

Weldone mate

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21313.msg152622.html#msg152622

Offline WaulespanTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 08:01:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by May Flint
Welcome back Brian and I can see you have been doing lots of research and looking into the sites we can use.

How about I get a group of 20 to come down this weekend and join in?

Are you kidding? CCW/FC/EA finally decided to put up the signs because the BGA applied to hold such a group event. Individual recreational panning is ok, as long as you know how not to put a lot of silt into the watercourse. I can't stop  you bringing a group down, but it would be very risky at present. The EA are conducting water and ecology studies on the Wen, after I forced them to face the issues. CCW have agreed that it would be impossible to measure the activities of one panner, in the way that I work, with a silt settling pool. However, you will have no control over the methods of the other members in the group, and if they dig willy nilly and there is a fish fry kill downstream, everyone on the river will get collared. The EA releases fry into the Wen at the Hermon bridge at this time of year, so there is a real risk of a mass kill at low water if people dig into banks or in the toxic area below the bridge, or in deep hardpack for an extended period. Now, I am absolutley confident that my method is safe, and I work within official charitable guidelines. But groups are not insurable for this kind of activity, and a group organisor could find himself or herself liable.
I have now left the Wen and am working in a non SSSI river, far away, having made my point. The Mawddach is another story, there are non-SSSI sections, but there has been massive pollution from the mines, the sludgy water builds up and is released by the EA, turning the river bright orange. Go into the Mawddach at risk of unknown health consequences. Taking groups in there could be quite irresponsible. I am prospecting other sites with a view to providing safer panning opportunities.

Posted on: March 11, 2011, 07:46:07 AM
Quote:Posted by hardluck
Hello All

You mentioned it is not allowed to dig away river banks, fair enough.

Just for clarification. what can you do? Can you use hand crevice tools in the bed of the river, hand pump out potholes in river bead, use water fed sluices? What are the parameters of what you can do? Are you just allowed a gold pan?

Do you need a fossiking permit or license? Are some rivers off limits or affected by certain fish spawning seasons?

All of the above was allowed in N.S.W Australia providing no power generated tool used such as dredges or heavy mining equipment.

I am interested to see what is actually allowed.

Hi Hardluck
I advised CCW that it is not the tools used but the method which is most important. They wanted BGA to enforce a pan and trowel only policy, no sluices or crowbars etc. Basically, they don't want any boulders moved by human activity, as if the river will comply by not having any spates or floods. I argued that keeping the locked up boulders moving is good for fish, as they need clean gravels, and less obstructions in the rivercourse. But they are still getting to grips with the fact that they have acted in ignorance of the real benefits which panning and sluicing can bring to the ecology of the area.
So, there are no restrictions on tools as such, just opposing individual viewpoints, which isn't law at all. Each panner has to make his or her own risk assessment, which should include how to deal with irate forestry officers and just a few local panners who have a very negative attitude to outsiders. I'd be happy to meet with anyone who wants to come down to the Coed-y-Brenin and discuss these issues. I'll be around for the next week, so keep an eye out for my ford transit campervan, with a red stripe around the middle, and say hello. I won't be back to the library until next week.
I can show anyone some safe rivers to pan, no SSSI or other political issues.

Brian  Gold Rivers Trust  'Safer Panning for People and Ecology'

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21313.msg152628.html#msg152628

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2011, 08:07:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Brian at the inlet to the WEN could you get the water tested before and after the dirty water is released by the relivent dept,
It would be better if panning was restricted to a small scale as this is a newly agreed method because the government will be
keeping a close eye on opperations as this is all new and if all goes well the you can increase the amount of panners and still
maintain the same standards, As i'm sure that the people who are responsable and love this hobby will abide by the laws laid
out by the powers that be.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21313.msg152631.html#msg152631

Offline May Flint
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2011, 08:25:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the information Brian.

As it is taking us over 6 hours to get to you we are on the move as I type.

See you soon

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21313.msg152635.html#msg152635

Offline May Flint
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2011, 05:15:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Everyone,

I just got back from Wales where we all went on a jolly - just to check out what was happening. 

Brian has let you know what he has been doing but thought everyone would like to see what the media has written about it all.  Please open the link below.

Please Register or Login

http://www.demotix.com/news/619541/gold-panner-risks-unlimited-fines-plunder-protected-welsh-river

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21313.msg153203.html#msg153203

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.