[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline benny1961Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MINELAB SE
« on: September 16, 2009, 05:00:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

anyone detect rivers and streams ? i have a garrett sea hunter i use  it seems good  but no iron reject anyone know of a better machine? Waveing

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7976.msg49947.html#msg49947

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 06:02:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That's a silly reason not to like the Sea Hunter. Relics are part of river and stream detecting and most of them are iron. Keep using the machine and you'll be able to tell what you've found before you dig. Familiarity with your detector is a must in this hobby.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7976.msg50051.html#msg50051

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MINELAB SE
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 11:03:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hi yes i know you have to get to know your machine but i was thinking that  they could improve the iron reject some what as over here in england people tend to throw there rubbish into the rivers and streamsi used to detect on the medway river in kent  with a fisher 1266x but found that the iron drove it mad  because the garratt is a good light detector i dont want to  change it  Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7976.msg50090.html#msg50090

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:37:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you remove the rubbish, I guarantee you will find more good stuff where the rubbish hid it from your detector. Don't miss all that just because you don't want to remove an axe head, hinge or old hammer. Pick it up, put it in a bucket and search that now cleaned area again. You may be surprised by the find of a lifetime which you would have missed if you eliminated iron. And think of how much good you are doing for the river or stream. A bucket full of junk can also keep the curious away from what you are really searching for. When asked the inevitable, "What are you finding?" question, point to your bucket and let them take what they want. Your good stuff will stay safely away from their eyes that way.

One thing you overlook in this concept of discrimination. A large object will NOT ever be discriminated no matter where you set the dial. Rejecting iron will not eliminate a large iron object. That object will swamp your detector no matter what setting you use. Just dig it up and see what was hiding beneath it. Hate it? Yes, that's OK. Until you find a gold item that was hidden by the iron. Then you'll love it.

Besides, England is full of Iron Age relics. Why would you want to miss them?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7976.msg50179.html#msg50179

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 04:40:40 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:39:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

benny1961;

Hi; Goldigger1950 is 100% right!

If you COULD reject the iron, you would miss some important stuff! Take away the junk, this way nobody can complain about you digging or metal locating. Not all of that junk will be junk.

You have SOOOOO much history,  there, the possibilities are endless.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7976.msg50266.html#msg50266

goldigger

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MINELAB SE
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:59:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

yes you are right of course , its because i had a minelab excailbur 1000 in the past and it rejected most small bits of iron  and when that died  of old age and hard work i tried the garratt i am going to re vist my older sites with the garratt and see what turns up  whats river detecting  like where you are,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7976.msg50272.html#msg50272

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 05:28:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by benny1961
yes you are right of course , its because i had a minelab excailbur 1000 in the past and it rejected most small bits of iron  and when that died  of old age and hard work i tried the garratt i am going to re vist my older sites with the garratt and see what turns up  whats river detecting  like where you are,

River detecting....

Never tried it..... not enough history in the rivers, but I keep thinking about a very, very old trading post site, from the 1700's, that has been dug, by UBC. It might not hurt to snoop the site, to see what they missed. Its a site where the factors were killed so HBCo, closed trading for about 40 yrs, in retaliation. The locals were so dependent, on the trade, for powder and lead, that they nearly starved, as no one could use a bow, any more!  Shocked

Likely a project for next summer! I sure am getting a lot of good ideas, off this forum! I guess I just have not been imaginative enough.  Grin

The rivers change too much, here, but that post site is on the fork of two rivers and there may be something, since water was the ONLY road, back then.

Another post went into the main river about 100 yrs ago!  Cry

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7976.msg51027.html#msg51027

goldigger

Offline Rayredditch
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

585.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP GMP, XP Adventis II, Whites Surf Master PI Pro Deep Diver,Fisher 1265 X, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 05:38:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

In Europe we find so much in rivers, if only people take the time to look. Around bridges and fords, the Romans would always throw in an offering to the Gods to ensure a safe passage, plus during floods, at fords or where ferries were, there were accidents, ad people drowed, loosing complete boat loads of goods, armaments, coins, etc. Some of these remain were they were lost, others got swept downstream to become embedded on the banks of bends end in the depths where the speed of the water drops. When there?s a drought and the water level drops, you should detect these areas. Swords in almost perfect condition have been recovered.  Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7976.msg51029.html#msg51029

Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power,
Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD,
Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X,
Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023,
Viking 6DX2

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 05:58:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Rayredditch
In Europe we find so much in rivers, if only people take the time to look. Around bridges and fords, the Romans would always throw in an offering to the Gods to ensure a safe passage, plus during floods, at fords or where ferries were, there were accidents, ad people drowed, loosing complete boat loads of goods, armaments, coins, etc. Some of these remain were they were lost, others got swept downstream to become embedded on the banks of bends end in the depths where the speed of the water drops. When there?s a drought and the water level drops, you should detect these areas. Swords in almost perfect condition have been recovered.  Cheesy

Rayredditch;

Now you've done it! I know of a place, and you just jogged my memory! but its many miles from here.

The location is at the mouth of a canyon of a very severe section of a certain river that has seen MANY upsets, in the rapids, when some greenhorn or even well experience canoeists, decided to run the rapids (about 25 mi long!) and did not succeed, of course, they lost everything, sometimes their lives, too. and this has been going on for a couple hundred years. The natives do NOT run these rapids, they are very afraid of them, with good reason. My problem would be that it is tribal territory, now, as it was part of a land-claims settlement.  Hmmmmm. It might be 'hyas macook," an expensive trade.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7976.msg51034.html#msg51034

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 06:00:03 am by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline Rayredditch
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

585.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP GMP, XP Adventis II, Whites Surf Master PI Pro Deep Diver,Fisher 1265 X, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 06:07:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

A polite request has usually never been turned down. Just make sure it?s when there?s not a lot of water there, and no rain further upstream, as flash floods are NOT nice to get caught in Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7976.msg51037.html#msg51037

Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power,
Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD,
Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X,
Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023,
Viking 6DX2

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: