[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 03:50:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

As has been said here and before, it's a numbers game. I dig probably 70 targets per hour at the beach and get 10 or 20 keepers. I dig every metal object no matter what it is and have often been surprised to find a gold ring where there should have been a pull tab, according to my detector. The faster you recover your finds, the more you will find. That's the fact. So, you need to find your own personal fastest recovery method and go with that. Your finds will increase greatly as a result of digging more, not just digging smarter. Sounds backwards from some advice given but both will improve your odds.

Digging smarter means looking in places where human activity was greatest. Blanket areas and so forth are smart places to look. But what about that pathway to the concession stand for a hot dog or a soda? That path is often strewn with dropped coins. Where is that path? Everywhere. People wander around on the beach, trip and fall losing coins all the time. So it really is a numbers game. Just dig as many targets as you can after you locate them.

The area between the blanket row and the water's edge is also good for rings that slip from wet fingers already greasy from sun screen or lotion. That's smart thinking but again, the more you dig the more you'll find.

Keep on hunting! It's out there waiting for you!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5615.msg57948.html#msg57948

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline SLYMANUS
Pull Tab

Archaeological Researcher
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Referrals: 0

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 04:02:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cheesy Way to go!
By the way, do any of you guys have any experience with a beach that is being cleaned up by a cat? Should you go before after? Or not at all?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5615.msg57952.html#msg57952

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 04:14:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I think I'd have to watch the cat for a couple of days before I answered that question.    Where does the "spoil" go?    How often do they clean the beach?   When you say a cat, are you talking a front end loader or a grader type attachment?  If the latter, then I'd definitely keep the beach on my list (assuming it isn't one I'd pass up for other reaons).    I haven't worked a beach yet, but I do know from working roads, that graders churn up all sorts of interesting things if you search the ridges left as the dirt comes off the edge of the blade.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5615.msg57954.html#msg57954

Offline SLYMANUS
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 04:23:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

They clean it once a week and it is a tractor with a back type of a rake or something like that. But yeah you are rigth I need to study it closely.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5615.msg57960.html#msg57960

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 04:24:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The beach rakes are for bottles, cans, paper and big items, not for coins and jewelry. Those get left behind normally. I've often spoken with the operators of the rakes here in Perth and they mostly talk of finding cell phones, plastic money (banknotes here are plastic) and the occasional wallet or purse. Every now and again a watch will stay in the tines but mostly it's huge rubbish and we're better off without that on the beaches.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5615.msg57961.html#msg57961

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline SLYMANUS
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 04:31:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was hoping that it was just this! Great, that beach is still ok then.
  Detecting
 I am on the Mediterranean, just moved here and I am trying to figure things out. Another preoccupying subject is the lack of tides here.  So it is a bit hard to know just when to go and hunt.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5615.msg57962.html#msg57962

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 04:41:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Given what you and GoldDigger1950 say about the cat dragging a rake behind it, I would try going after the cat (especially if I could literally follow behind it at a safe distance).  Even though the coins, rings, etc are not going to be caught up in the rake, the rake should be bringing them to the surface just like plowing a field is going to bring stuff buried in the field to the surface.

I sure would like to see what you find after you've followed the rake a couple of times.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5615.msg57963.html#msg57963

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 04:49:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
Given what you and GoldDigger1950 say about the cat dragging a rake behind it, I would try going after the cat (especially if I could literally follow behind it at a safe distance).  Even though the coins, rings, etc are not going to be caught up in the rake, the rake should be bringing them to the surface just like plowing a field is going to bring stuff buried in the field to the surface.

I sure would like to see what you find after you've followed the rake a couple of times.

The last day I went to the beaches - plural - I found over $100.00 in modern coinage as reported here on this forum. Rakes had been used all day but I can't honestly say I followed them. I could see evidence of raking but nothing was going on most of the time I was there.

Somebody here later questioned my ability to find that much in coinage but the explanation is simple. The $2.00 coin is the same size as the 5c coin in diameter so they get dropped with equal frequency. The 5c coin is the most often dropped coin followed closely by the $2.00 coin which is thicker. Over a 8 hour plus day on the beaches, I recovered more than 400 items including some silver rings but no gold on that day.

Of course that doesn't take into account all the pop tops, beer caps and pull tabs I found. Bazillions, I tell you! Simply bazillions of them!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5615.msg57966.html#msg57966

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline SLYMANUS
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 04:52:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I might just give it a try and let you know! Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5615.msg57969.html#msg57969

Offline BackAtcha
Bronze Member

Avast, ye pirates!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Independent Rouge States

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Cobra Beach Magnet, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 04:01:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Personally, I like to follow after the cat.  I think it turns up some of the deeper stuff, but more importantly for me is the fact that it makes it easier for me to see my own tracks, so I can see where I've already searched and where I haven't! Sunny

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5615.msg58245.html#msg58245

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: