[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 04:08:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm not confusing you at all and I am critical of the article, not you. You see, when people transcribe another person's words and call it an "excerpt," that sets off red flags for researchers. An excerpt is an unreliable report with a admission as to its unreliability in that single word. A photograph or photocopy of the soldier's words is a primary document. Your article, as interesting as it may be, feeds the fires of fantasy here on this board which many consider a serious vehicle.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10123.msg66703.html#msg66703

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline justint538
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 06:01:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Don't worry cccalco, GoldDigger1950 has been trying to shut down many ideas and possibilities. He's just one of those people.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10123.msg66735.html#msg66735

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 08:13:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by justint538
Don't worry cccalco, GoldDigger1950 has been trying to shut down many ideas and possibilities. He's just one of those people.

Justin, I am not trying to shut down anything. I am trying to stop you from following a false trail and to start thinking for yourself. Every single treasure I have ever sought has been recovered. Somewhere along the way, I learned enough about research to pass on that skill of discovering what is correct and what is not. I have also followed false leads and have discovered that others have been there before me. So, either I am the first to recover it or I have located evidence that another treasure hunter has preceded me. Either way, I do not follow false leads because I know how to tell the difference. Clearly, you do not. Learn or not. Your choice. I advise you to question EVERY bit of so called evidence you believe you have seen. In questioning it, you will discover truth and fact. Just trust me on this one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10123.msg66762.html#msg66762

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline outback
Internet Pirate
Gold Member

Internet Pirate
Thank you11

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 9

1555.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 08:19:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Justin, I am not trying to shut down anything. I am trying to stop you from following a false trail and to start thinking for yourself. Every single treasure I have ever sought has been recovered. Somewhere along the way, I learned enough about research to pass on that skill of discovering what is correct and what is not. I have also followed false leads and have discovered that others have been there before me. So, either I am the first to recover it or I have located evidence that another treasure hunter has preceded me. Either way, I do not follow false leads because I know how to tell the difference. Clearly, you do not. Learn or not. Your choice. I advise you to question EVERY bit of so called evidence you believe you have seen. In questioning it, you will discover truth and fact. Just trust me on this one.

Can we see your treasure?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10123.msg66766.html#msg66766

Offline justint538
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2010, 08:20:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I will take your advice but I'm not throwing this possibility out the window. At this point in time none of use actually 100% know what happened so until someone finds the truth I will keep researching it but I will take what you said into account. This just has to be something that we study over time. I have question my evidence and thats actually one of the first steps I take when I find evidence. I always ask my self if this is concrete enough,what does it prove, how does it prove it and how trustworthty is it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10123.msg66768.html#msg66768

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2010, 10:49:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by outback
Can we see your treasure?

I liquidate most of it right away. Why bury it? Someone else might find it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10123.msg66779.html#msg66779

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2010, 02:53:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

While I agree that strong evidence is a wonderful thing we should always remember Schliemann. More than one educated person told him he was following a fairy tale and yet he did find Troy just where a fictional story placed it....

The only rock a person can discount with absolute surety is the one they have already looked under personally albiet some rocks are more interesting than others.

Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10123.msg66812.html#msg66812

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2010, 02:56:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Idaho Jones
While I agree that strong evidence is a wonderful thing we should always remember Schliemann. More than one educated person told him he was following a fairy tale and yet he did find Troy just where a fictional story placed it....

The only rock a person can discount with absolute surety is the one they have already looked under personally albiet some rocks are more interesting than others.

Grin

And that is precisely when it became evidence versus a legend. Sometimes there is a truth to a legend. Other times not.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10123.msg66813.html#msg66813

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline cccalco
Knights of the Golden Circle
Bronze Member

Knights of the Golden Circle
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

890.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2010, 07:55:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

The article that I submitted:

Louisiana Democrat [Alexandria, LA]
July 13, 1859-April 25, 1860
November 2, 1864, November 16, 1864

came from

Please Register or Login

http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/alexandria_louisiana_democrat.htm

It was transcribed by:

Vicki Betts
Professional Librarian                         
Cataloging and Reference
The University of Texas at Tyler         
Robert R. Muntz Library                                             Office:  LIB 209
University of Texas at Tyler                                        Office phone:  1-903-566-7344
3900 University Blvd.                                               Fax:  1-903-566-2513
Tyler, TX 75799                                                     Email: vbetts@mail.uttyl.edu

Please Register or Login

http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/

who says; "My research interests fall into two main categories:  mid-19th century U.S. history, particularly Southern women during the Civil War; and the history of Smith County, Texas, also focusing on the Civil War, particularly the Camp Ford POW facility near Tyler."

It can be found by doing a word search of:

Please Register or Login

http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/newspaper_titles.htm

Now I do not know if this Librarian transcribed the article I read from the original paper or a mirophiche.  Usually in research either would be sufficient.  If this were a trial in which evidence would be submitted then Ms. Betts would be considered an expert witness.
SEVENTH STAR OF THE CONFEDERACY -- Book Review
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 2010

Please Register or Login

http://thesouthsdefender.blogspot.com/2010/02/seventh-star-of-confederacy-book-review.html

This book is a group of essays that cover all aspects of the War For Southern Independence in Texas. Chapters cover the secession of Texas, the role played by  the Knights of the Golden Circle (KGC) in the pre-war secession movement and the seizure of U.S. Army property in San Antonio early in the war, the various military operations and the social and cultural aspects of the war in Texas.

On February 1, 1861, delegates at the Texas Secession Convention elected to leave the Union. The people of Texas supported the actions of the convention in a statewide referendum, paving the way for the state to secede and to officially become the seventh state in the Confederacy. Soon the Texans found themselves engaged in a bloody and prolonged civil war against their northern brethren. During the course of this war, the lives of thousands of Texans, both young and old, were changed forever.

The book is edited by Kenneth W. Howell, assistant professor at Prairie View A&M University.   

The chapters are written by some of the best historians on the Trans-Mississippi, including Alwyn Barr, Archie P. McDonald, James M. Smallwood, Linda S. Hudson, John W. Gorman, Mary Jo O'Rear, Donald Willett, Edward T. Cotham Jr., Charles D. Spurlin, Charles D. Grear, Gary D. Joiner, Kenneth E. Hendrickson Jr., Vicki Betts, Ronald E. Goodwin and Bruce A. Glasrud, Carol Taylor, and Bill Stein.

The chapter by Linda Hudson on the KGC's role in secession and early war military actions was fascinating and very illuminating.  I also particularly enjoyed the chapters by Edward Cotham on the battles of Galveston and Sabine Pass, and Gary Joiner's on the Texas Cavalry in the Red River Campaign.

The Seventh Star of the Confederacy: Texas During the Civil War; University of North Texas Press, Denton, Texas,

Please Register or Login

www.unt.edu/untpress
, $34.95.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10123.msg71821.html#msg71821

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:54:39 am by Christian »

Knights of the Golden Circle Research and Archive

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2010, 02:25:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ccalco, I know GD sets high standards, but look at this way if your evidence passes his "smell" test you can figure you probably have a pretty serious lead.   And for someone like me, who is thinking about getting more deeply into KGC, this last post of yours is particularly helpful.   Even though you are citing secondary sources for the most part, you've given me enough information that I can go to those secondary sources and follow the trail back to the primary sources.

Thanks,

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10123.msg71867.html#msg71867

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.