[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Texas JayTopic starter
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« on: November 20, 2009, 04:00:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I hope all members will join me in thanking Christian for creating this new subforum for discussion of probably the most exciting topic in treasure hunting circles today, the Knights of the Golden Circle.  I have been researching the KGC for nearly five years now but I am really a novice compared to others who have known about the secret Southern organization for decades.  Before the fun begins, let me suggest two books and a website that members will find to be very educational regarding the Knights of the Golden Circle.
~Texas Jay

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://moa.cit.cornell.edu/moa/browse.monographs/waro.html
  - War of the Rebellion Records or Official Records of the Civil War.  A simple search of keywords [Knights of the Golden Circle] will return many detailed records of KGC activity during the War.  This website is great for Civil War relic hunters too as it gives details and specific locations of battle sites and possible weapons caches. 

"Rebel Gold" by Bob Brewer and Warren Getler, 2005, Simon & Schuster.  This book is extremely well-researched and sourced and give details and photographs of actual KGC caches that have been recovered.

"The Mysterious and Secret Order of the Knights of the Golden Circle" by Military Historian Dr. Roy William Roush, Ph.D., 2005, Front Line Press.

"Jesse James' Hidden Treasure" on the History Channel.  This new documentary follows a current search for KGC caches and depositories. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9394.msg59459.html#msg59459

Offline spx786
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 04:32:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Texas Jay, it's good to be aboard, and I'm looking forward to a nice and properly run message board! The KGC is a very exciting topic and I'm sure this will be a wonderful message board!
-spx786

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9394.msg59474.html#msg59474

Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 05:57:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This reminder was posted today by one of our members of Yahoo's Bloody Bill Anderson Mystery group.  This is a must-see for anyone interested in KGC treasures.
~Texas Jay

For anyone who has not seen this or would like to see it again this program is
going to be rebroadcast on the History Channel on Wednesday, November 25 at 8am
and 2pm est.

> Jesse James' Hidden Treasure
> "By the time Jesse James was killed in 1882, he'd stolen over a million and a
half dollars according to some estimates--gold, coins and cash that could be
worth over $50 million today. History often paints James as a clever outlaw who
stole money to finance a lavish criminal lifestyle, a man whose sixteen year
long crime spree came to a dramatic halt in 1882 when a fellow gang member
betrayed him and shot him dead in the back of the head. But now, a treasure hunt
may reveal a totally new story. Was Jesse really stealing for himself, or was he
actually secreting away large sums of wealth, in order to finance one of the
most clandestine secret societies in American history? Follow a team of treasure
hunters searching for where he stashed his riches... and a new truth about Jesse
James. Their discoveries may not only re-write the history of why Jesse stole,
it could also raise new questions about his death."
> Rating: TVPG
> Running Time: 120 minutes
>
Here is the link to one of the important documents regarding the Knights of the Golden Circle that was written by a man who had infiltrated this order.

Please Register or Login

http://digital.library.schreiner.edu/sldl/collection/HCC/KGC/pdfs/expos_ocr.pdf

~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9394.msg60599.html#msg60599

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

exposition-reduced.jpg

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 06:01:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello everyone

I am interested in anyone's input of this subject as I have do not have much knowledge on this treasure story and I am interested in learning more.

Just cannot help myself Grin

Hardluck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9394.msg60775.html#msg60775

Offline llanogold
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

310.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

E-Trac 2200V2 Fisher F5,F2,GB2,Garrett AT Gold
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 06:53:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Are there any KGC treasures or cache in Texas.

Thanks
Todd

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9394.msg60822.html#msg60822

Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 10:45:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Todd.  Yes, there are several KGC treasures in Texas.  Texas was the backbone of the KGC as it entered the Civil War on the side of the Confederacy and when the War was over, huge numbers of former Confederates including those who refused to surrender (most KGC members), came to this state to continue working toward their goals.  In his KGC trilogy, Dr. Roy Roush said that Texas holds more KGC caches and depositories (the huge treasure storehouses) than any other area.  My partner and I are currently working on three probable locations now and have been for a few years right here in the central Texas area.  For obvious reasons, I cannot go into any detail about our work but I can assure you that the KGC was very active and strong here for several decades after the Civil War ended and they left their marks in many places. 
I have just finished reading Dr. Roush s three KGC books and I highly recommend them as well as "Rebel Gold" by Bob Brewer and Warren Getler.

Please Register or Login

http://knightsofthegoldencircle.net/

~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9394.msg60851.html#msg60851

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:47:09 pm by Texas Jay »
Offline llanogold
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

310.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 11:05:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Texas Jay
I live in the Llano area and there are lots of treasure stories about the area. If you are ever around look me up.

Thanks
Todd Pickens

Please Register or Login

www.llanogold.com

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9394.msg60853.html#msg60853

Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 11:29:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Todd.  It is a pleasure meeting you and I was happy to approve your membership into our Bloody Bill Anderson Mystery group.  My mining partner and I have made a couple visits to the Llano River just outside of Llano in past years and panned a small amount of gold from the area.  I've been wanting to locate a place on Honey Creek to do some prospecting too as an oldtimer once told me a story about some college kids spending a summer there and showing him some nice gold they panned. 
You sure look familiar.  Maybe you have attended a meeting or two of our Central Texas Treasure Club in Brownwood?

Please Register or Login

http://pages.suddenlink.net/cttc/index.html

We held our monthly meeting tonight but I had prior commitments and was unable to attend. 
~Texas Jay (Longley)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9394.msg60854.html#msg60854

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:24:56 pm by Christian »
Offline llanogold
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

310.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 08:59:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Texas Jay
If you are looking for gold the Llano area is about the best place around here to go.
We may have met somewhere. I sell metal detectors and travel to lots of the shows. I am also the pres. of the Llano chapter of the GPAA. I was also just on Gold Fever with Tom Massie last month dredging in the Llano river episode 143. I also have a web site called

Please Register or Login

llanogold
. I am kinda all over the place with metal detecting and prospecting.
Honey creek is a realy good creek for gold. I used to have acess to a ranch that Honey flowed through, but that family sold it 2 years ago. I have panned it, but never got a dredge in it. I did prety good with the pan. We have lots of other creeks in the area that are as good or better than Honey.
Thanks for the groups there is a lot of good info. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.
If you are in the area Dec. 12 we are having a metal detecting, prospecting, rock hounding, treasure hunting get together in Llano. Its free and open to anyone.
Thanks
Todd Pickens

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9394.msg60880.html#msg60880

Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 06:08:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Todd.  While we bought all the topo maps of the area around Llano this past year, we still haven't been able to find time or a place to prospect there.  Developments on the KGC treasure scene have kept me very busy all year with no end in sight.   I am sure glad to have met you and I will definitely visit your shop when I am in the area next.  I've got gold pans, a nice sluice box, and other placer mining equipment in storage collecting dust so maybe next spring we can plan an outing near Llano. 
Yes, you definitely have several years of reading to do, if you want, at our group as we have an extensive archives of messages, photographs, links, databases, and files regarding Quantrill's Guerrillas and the KGC there.   Smiley  The good news is that we have 4 moderators there and a few dozen longtime members who are always willing and available to help you find the information you want without having to spend all that time searching for it on your own.  Please never hesitate to ask for assistance by posting a message on our board there or here (if it is related to treasure hunting).
~Texas Jay

PawPaw Militia members of the Knights of the Golden Circle.  I just found this amazing newspaper article from 1864 where a prisoner declared that as far as he knew all of the PawPaw militias were members of the Knights of the Golden Circle!

DAILY TIMES [LEAVENWORTH, KS], July 29, 1864, p. 3, c. 2

A Paw-Paw at the Confessional?The Paw-Paws
of Platte County Sound on the Southern Goose
--They all intend to Fight with Rebels, but not
Against Them.
[From the St. Joseph Herald, 27th.]

A prisoner taken in Platte county has made some revelations concerning the intention of the Pawpaws.  Below we give his statement, which is on file at the military Headquarters in this city.
                                                                                                                                                                                                July 24, 1864.
            My name is Andrew E. Smith.  I am 22 years old and live in Platte county, about two miles west of Platte City.  I was a member of Captain Johnston's company of Pawpaw militia, under Major Clark, and served about six months.  When I joined the Pawpaws it was understood by myself and members generally that, after drawing our arms, equipments, &c., we were to join the Southern army, and that Col. James H. Moss was to go with us to the South.  I joined Thrailkill last Sunday, the 17th day of July, and was with him at Kingston, Mirabile and Plattsburg.  Capt. Taylor took the goods which we stole at Mirabile and Kingston.  After the fight yesterday I left Thrailkill.  We had only 180 men.
            I am a member of the Knights of the Golden Circle.  I joined them at Platte City, and was sworn in by David Jenkins of that place.  All of the Pawpaw militia, so far as I know, belong to them.  Andrew Demaster, Wm. Brown, Thomas Brown and O. Teucher I know are members.  The sign of recognition is the open right hand across the breast.  Out of our company of 30 men 25 joined Thrailkill.  The people of Platte county are, two-thirds of them, of Southern sympathies, and they all approved our joining Thrailkill, but wanted we should go South.  They fed us cheerfully.  I am a Conservative Democrat, and have always voted the Democratic ticket.  Thrailkill promised to take us South as soon as possible.  Five men have deserted from him since I was with him.  Richard Lancaster and Stump Breckinridge, of Platte county, and three brothers, whose names I do not remember, deserted.  We turned back in Carroll county, but we could not get south of the Missouri river.
                                                                                                                                                                                                A. K. Smith. 

~Texas Jay

KGC Northwest Conspiracy

Please Register or Login

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9E01E5D7143EEE34BC4F51DFB166838F679FDE

For more information about this very important KGC work in northern states during the War, I highly recommend the book "Confederate Agent" by James D. Horan, 1954.  There are many excellent treasure leads in this book.

Online version of "Confederate Agent" at:

Please Register or Login

http://www.archive.org/details/confederateagent011673mbp

~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9394.msg61042.html#msg61042

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 06:10:23 pm by Texas Jay »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16   Go Up