[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline 20TN40Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 02:04:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Karl, that first link you posted is my family tree that I posted on Rootsweb!  LOL
Seldom, yes that is my Jason L. Harris and I have the book from which you got the article.

I have done extensive family research and do still talk with many of my family that live in the area.  One of the cousins has a rifle which Jason L. crafted and they also have this block type object that they believe was used to melt the silver.  It has a bowl area carved out in the middle, a few smaller "holes" of various sizes and some notches in the sides.  The object is hard to describe but they think it was used to craft items with the silver. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21819.msg151133.html#msg151133

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 07:37:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

20TN40 r u Tennessee ??   I am in east TN every so often from Karns to Powell to severville to townsend and wears valley & Walnut hill up by Bristol,  and We live here in the Middle TN area,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21819.msg151156.html#msg151156

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 06:14:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes sir, I'm in East TN........Jefferson City to be exact.  I know where all those places are except Walnut Hill, but I do know Bristol.  I've always wanted to treasure hunt but never have.  I guess that's why this topic sparked my interest.  Found this site in a search for KGS and Jason L. Harris and also trying to see if there was any credibility to the wagon train story.  The gentleman claims to have found 12 wagon wheels up there and was the first time I had ever heard anything about KGC.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21819.msg151291.html#msg151291

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 06:42:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Man best thing I can tell u , is to get your self a Detector and go practice with it then go back and hit all the areas everyone is telling you about and see what u can find.  I do recommend you take someone with you,
as there are snakes bears etc, up in them parts, and u know if u were to fall in a giant hole or mine etc, it would be nice to have someone around that knew where to send the rescue party.

get as many maps and as much info as u can get and go have fun looking for it.

As far as the "KGC" goes  well don't get your hopes up too high with that ok.
there is no way these people were everywhere there claimed to be. Just saying , take everything u hear about the KGC with a grain of salt and u will be allright, and then if u do find something it will make for a great surprise.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21819.msg151307.html#msg151307

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 11:42:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Karl,
  First off, I'm a gal and I have no idea even where to start as far as getting a metal detector.  Since you are familiar with East TN, what type detector and where to purchase would you recommend?  I know that I'd cover my seven acres here but what is the general rule about searching in other areas such as the lake bottoms (TVA) and other areas? 

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21819.msg151987.html#msg151987

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 12:16:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by 20TN40
Hey Karl,   First off, I'm a gal and I have no idea even where to start as far as getting a metal detector.  Since you are familiar with East TN, what type detector and where to purchase would you recommend?  I know that I'd cover my seven acres here but what is the general rule about searching in other areas such as the lake bottoms (TVA) and other areas? 

Thanks in advance!
Lisa

Lisa Sorry if I offended u , hard to tell with your id , Anyways TVA u must go to there website download the permission slip fill it out and mail it into them before u are allowed to hunt there property, and then U Must
Go By there Guide Lines !! now the other properties just ask for permission unless there fed, as far as i Know there is NO MD'ing allowed in the Great Smokie Mtns Nat Park area's or Nat Forrest etc. you can always check to see if that has changed !!

The best metal detector is the one that you will take out each weekend and learn to use proficiently.
Too many people spend the bucks only to get frustrated after a couple of weeks of hunting and it becomes a closet hugger. Learning the machine and training "your ears to that specific tune" that says "Hey here I am dig me up!" is essential to this hobby. Practice, practice, practice is the name of the game I feel no matter how much you spend. BUT buy something that will match what you are hunting for whether it is gold, coins, meteorites etc.  Money is hard enough to come by in this day and age, so why spend it and not put it to use. Plus once you start getting out on a regular basis it is amazing the people you meet and the friendships that come your way. That alone is worth the price of any machine and when you also find stuff that is just the frosting on the cake in this hobby.

Now then u can order online - or u can purchase thru Bass proshop or Wal mart, etc. not sure if Knoxville has a Reg Metal detector Shop or not.  I Do know there are several MD clubs in your area, those Folks
Would be much more able to help you than I could , as they live in your area and Detect in your area all the time , and they would know if there is a local shop etc.

I do know that most folks even those that own the High Dollar $$$ Machines
Still purchase a Bounty Hunter to use as a back up or as a coin shooter etc.
Matter of fact it's what i use as my primary machine just cause it's light weight and i am disabled.

U can also check your Local craigs list or yard sales , as someone is allways selling one.

Either way Go out and Hunt and enjoy the outdoors and take lot s of pics of your finds !!

And always remember to be safe out there.  Good Luck and Happy Hunting !!

Posted on: March 09, 2011, 12:03:14 AM
Lisa here is the link to the TVA form

Please Register or Login

http://www.tva.gov/river/recreation/metal_detect.pdf

Posted on: March 09, 2011, 12:12:45 AM
Lisa here are the Metal Detecting Clubs that I know of here in Tennessee !

Smokey Mountain Artifacts, Research & Treasure Society (SMARTS)
,Knoxville, TN
865-281-2813
Ralph Waldrop <CoinHunter@Charter.net>

Please Register or Login

http://www.smartstreasureclub.com/

President - Mark Martinec

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jonesborough Metal Detecting Club
197 Pecanwood Drive,Jonesborough, TN 37659
423-753-3151

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Southern Middle Tennessee Coin And Relic Hunters
,Lynchburg, TN
931-759-5177
Dwayne Davis <lostandfoundrelics@cafes.net>

Middle Tennessee Metad Detecting Club
P.O.BOX 23444,Nashville, TN 37202
931-698-5804
President - Gywnne Evans

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21819.msg152005.html#msg152005

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

metal_detect.pdf

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 01:36:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

No sir, you did not offend!  And oh WOW, I went looking at Bounty Hunter's and the Legacy 1500 sure looks nice!  Would that be a good "starter" detector?

Now before this gets so off topic that they shut it down............if KGC existed, were they ever around east TN?  Seldom mentioned not finding a wagon train during that time period.....was there ever an ambushed wagon train in the Unaka?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21819.msg152011.html#msg152011

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 06:53:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by 20TN40
No sir, you did not offend!  And oh WOW, I went looking at Bounty Hunter's and the Legacy 1500 sure looks nice!  Would that be a good "starter" detector?

Now before this gets so off topic that they shut it down............if KGC existed, were they ever around east TN?  Seldom mentioned not finding a wagon train during that time period.....was there ever an ambushed wagon train in the Unaka?

That would make a fine Machine for you, just make sure u practice with it , and Practice some more and more etc,

Now about the "KGC"  were they ever around east TN well legend says they were , but here is the kicker
There is no physical proof, or at least none that I have ever found. Same with your Wagon Train.

Now that doesn't mean it did not happen etc, it just means that up till now no one has found proof.
so if u find the documented proof or the wagon with the load of silver etc on it ! then please post it here.
On my yahoo group , I have listed every TN treasure there is , and your telling of the Silver is the first I have ever heard of the Wagon load of Silver.

I am not saying it's not real or did not happen - Just saying it's not Documented or been listed anywhere that I know of !!

Good Luck - The rest is up to you now !!
The Research and the Finding !!
Enjoy your Hunt !!
And Post plenty of Photo's and Keep us up to Date Plz !!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21819.msg152025.html#msg152025

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: