[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 10:52:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Texas Jay
Hi John.  Yes, General Albert Pike, C.S.A. was a fascinating and very intelligent individual.  I read where his statue in Washington, D.C. is the only statue of a Confederate general in the whole city.
John Wilkes Booth is also an interesting guy to study.  He was a Knight (of the Golden Circle) before 1861 and he was the person who introduced John H. Surratt, the conspirator in the Lincoln plot, to the secret organization and even accompanied him to the KGC castle in Baltimore in late 1860 to be inducted into the order.  One of the most important books to be revealed in recent years has been  "The private journal and diary of John H. Surratt, the conspirator (1866)".  I learned a lot about the rituals and ceremonies of the KGC from reading this diary and I also learned a lot about the Lincoln assassination that they sure did not teach me in school.  This important book is online in both text and original version at:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.archive.org/details/privatejournaldi00surr

~Texas Jay

Photo is of John Surratt

You're right about the public school system, you won't learn much about history there other than what they want you to believe. It takes a lot of searching to find truth in history and the individuals involved in certain events. It would be nice to see someone find the treasure mentioned. Thanks again for the input and have a good hunt.......John In Va

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg60852.html#msg60852

Johnlaw

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 04:25:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Texas Jay and Johnlaw

Texas Jay:

Thank you for the photo, information and the link. I will have enjoyable reading ahead of me. It seems that you have well researched this topic and I can see it gives you great pleasure in researching it.

Some times it is the Journey not the destination that matters. I can relate to this as which my own research on another treasure related Topic which has taken me and my associates over 20 years to unravel. If you keep true to yourself and to where your research takes you may just discover what you seek.

Johnlaw:

It it true what you say about how history is taught in schools as in general. If we do not learn the mistakes of the past, how can we prevent us from repeating those mistakes again in the future.

History can be manipulated by the establishment by embellishing the good parts and delegating the bad embarrassing parts to the dustbin of history. All countries are guilty of that as part of their obsession with control on our perceptions on who we are or what we should be seen as.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg60872.html#msg60872

Offline cccalco
Knights of the Golden Circle
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

890.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 07:08:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have just joined this site. It was the info on the KGC that brought me on.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61278.html#msg61278

Knights of the Golden Circle Research and Archive

Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 08:39:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by cccalco
I have just joined this site. It was the info on the KGC that brought me on.

Welcome to the forum Cccalo. Some interesting topics appear at times, will make one think and appreciate the effort put forth by some of the members. The insignia under your name
(skull and bones 322), isn't that the same as the Skull & Bones Society from Yale University uses? John in Va....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61285.html#msg61285

Johnlaw

Offline Rational Observer
Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 03:52:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Texas Jay
Hi John.  Yes, General Albert Pike, C.S.A. was a fascinating and very intelligent individual.  I read where his statue in Washington, D.C. is the only statue of a Confederate general in the whole city.
John Wilkes Booth is also an interesting guy to study.  He was a Knight (of the Golden Circle) before 1861 and he was the person who introduced John H. Surratt, the conspirator in the Lincoln plot, to the secret organization and even accompanied him to the KGC castle in Baltimore in late 1860 to be inducted into the order.  One of the most important books to be revealed in recent years has been  "The private journal and diary of John H. Surratt, the conspirator (1866)".  I learned a lot about the rituals and ceremonies of the KGC from reading this diary and I also learned a lot about the Lincoln assassination that they sure did not teach me in school.  This important book is online in both text and original version at:

Please Register or Login

http://www.archive.org/details/privatejournaldi00surr

~Texas Jay

Photo is of John Surratt

Hi Jay. Just a rational observation here...but, wasn't the book "The private journal and diary of John H. Surratt, the conspirator" a novel...written by somebody other than Surratt? Well...of course the answer is yes. Are you speculating Booth was a member of the KGC because of this fictional novel?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61316.html#msg61316

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 05:00:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

No, rational observer, Surratt's Diary was written by John Harrison Surratt.  It was found and edited by Dion Haco.  An outsider would not have had any way of knowing all the intricate details about the Knights of the Golden Circle that was written in it.  This includes the rituals, ceremonies, location of the KGC castle in Baltimore, and the many wartime secrets of the Confederacy as well as all the information about Mary Surratt.  It's easy for someone to dismiss this diary as a fake but they never give any "rational" evidence supporting the claim.
~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61321.html#msg61321

Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 09:37:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dion Haco authored several novels, including this one. It is a twenty-five cent novel, nothing more. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61354.html#msg61354

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:53:14 pm by outback »
Offline cccalco
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

890.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 08:00:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

RA, you may or may not be mistaking this one for Dion Haco's "J. Wilkes Booth, the Assassinator of President Lincoln" which was a novel and was published less than one month after the barn burning at the Garrett Farm. Still some will argue that the Diary itself is also a novel but if so it is a hoax done either on or by Haco as the Diary itself was never published as a novel. Because of its age, 1866, it is not cataloged as a novel in libraries but always has Surratt listed as the writer along with Haco. I did find one online library resource that referred to it under "notes" as "Probably fictitious." and another listed in among American Fiction 1851-1875 but on the flip side Haco's novel, "JWB, APL" is listed by googlebooks as "Biography & Autobiography /History / United States / Civil War Period (1850-1877) Juvenile Nonfiction / Biography & Autobiography / Historical ://books.google.com/books?id=f8QY1MGKmKkC&dq=%22Dion+Haco%22+author+novel&source=gbs_navlinks_s so yes, I guess rational people can dispute it's credibility since even history seems uncertain unless one just accepts the accepted.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61382.html#msg61382

Knights of the Golden Circle Research and Archive

Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 08:09:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by cccalco
RA, you may or may not be mistaking this one for Dion Haco's "J. Wilkes Booth, the Assassinator of President Lincoln" which was a novel and was published less than one month after the barn burning at the Garrett Farm. Still some will argue that the Diary itself is also a novel but if so it is a hoax done either on or by Haco as the Diary itself was never published as a novel. Because of its age, 1866, it is not cataloged as a novel in libraries but always has Surratt listed as the writer along with Haco. I did find one online library resource that referred to it under "notes" as "Probably fictitious." and another listed in among American Fiction 1851-1875 but on the flip side Haco's novel, "JWB, APL" is listed by googlebooks as "Biography & Autobiography /History / United States / Civil War Period (1850-1877) Juvenile Nonfiction / Biography & Autobiography / Historical ://books.google.com/books?id=f8QY1MGKmKkC&dq=%22Dion+Haco%22+author+novel&source=gbs_navlinks_s so yes, I guess rational people can dispute it's credibility since even history seems uncertain unless one just accepts the accepted.

CC...if the novel was in fact a true and correct diary...it would have been used in the trial against John Surratt...just like Booth's diary was used in the trial. The novel was written and published before the trial. Maybe Haco was banking on Surratt never being captured or taken to court when he wrote the fictional novel.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61383.html#msg61383

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 03:27:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

rational observer, I am sure the readers of this board are anxiously waiting for you to post facts supporting your allegations and not just continuously posting your opinion which is not shared by the books editor, publisher, or the Library of Congress.  You are also ignoring the fact that the Federal government had sealed all information about the Knights of the Golden Circle immediately after the War and the fact that, while few dispute the KGCs involvement in the Lincoln conspiracy, there appears to be not a single reference to this feared organization in the transcripts of the trial of John Surratt which, by the way, ended in a hung jury.  Surratt was never tried again.  Did it ever occur to you that some of the jurors may very well have been Knights too? 

Please Register or Login

http://www.archive.org/details/trialofjohnhsurr01surr

Please Register or Login

http://www.archive.org/details/trialofjohnhsurr02surr

~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg61416.html#msg61416

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download