[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2009, 07:35:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Okay, OR.  You've made your point - two words, "Probably fictitious", posted by an anonymous author.  Now, if you don't mind, why don't we drop it and move on and let anyone who is interested read it and judge for themselves.  It is their beliefs that matter anyway. 
~Texas Jay

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg62426.html#msg62426

Offline Rational Observer
Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2009, 07:46:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Texas Jay
Okay, OR.  You've made your point - two words, "Probably fictitious", posted by an anonymous author.  Now, if you don't mind, why don't we drop it and move on and let anyone who is interested read it and judge for themselves.  It is their beliefs that matter anyway. 
~Texas Jay

Sir, you lambasted me for making a rational observation, in regards to this novel. You said:

"Not only does the Library of Congress refer to this as non-fiction but obviously the editor Dion Haco, the original pubisher F.A. Brady of New York, and the newest publisher Ramble House concurred.  Are all of these professionals wrong?  Members can read the preceding messages to find that the only source that the naysayers can come up with to support their ridiculous allegations that it is "fiction" is their own faked attempt at inserting "Probably fictitious", anonymously, on the Open Library webpage for the book. "

We can now safely say the Library of Congress does NOT refer to this novel as non-fiction. Upon further review, the Open Library simply imported the data on its site from the Library of Congress. There is a edit/review feature that plainly shows that. Dipso-facto...naysayers did not come up with a "ridiculous allegation" and no attempt was made to fake an anonymous entry on the Open Library website.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg62428.html#msg62428

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2009, 04:43:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

I have read this subject with great interest as I have very little knowledge of this Knights of the Golden Circle Treasure subject. Please Texas jay do go on.

I have read with interest the debate over the status of a particular book being fact or fiction?
I cannot comment on the book in question as I have not researched the subject enough.

In putting my two cents worth in However...

Some Authors in the 19th century began to merge some works based on fact into fiction and created a class of books that straddled a world between fact and fiction this was very common from about 1850-1930's This type of journalism in some respect led to the more tabloid way of writing style seen today.

The clinical black and white academic world of classifying these books have had problems with this Grey area. A book with some factual evidence but laced with fiction makes it hard to determine the accuracy of the facts.

From this a researcher should always be careful to weed out the facts from the fiction. This does not mean a book written in this fashion does not have any historical value but it does mean a book of this type should not be solely relied upon. A book written in this fashion should be researched in conjunction with other independent sources to verify the facts and not be used as the sole primary source of the information.

I know of a host of 19th century books that straddles fact and fiction. That have contained invaluable factual information that have been confirmed by independent sources. In contrast I have seen some well respected non fiction books only years later discovered having too many in accuracies.

Rational observer I ask you when do find a book or source unreliable when 25% 50% 75% factual errors? I have found even the most non fictional of books to contain factual errors. Where do we at what point draw the line?

At the end of the day it comes down to persons perception on where they draw the line. But from experience in my own historical research was to take a holistic approach and verify each fact with independent sources.

Enough said please do go on with this interesting thread.

Hardluck  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg62491.html#msg62491

Offline Rational Observer
Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2009, 07:07:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by hardluck
Hello All

I have read this subject with great interest as I have very little knowledge of this Knights of the Golden Circle Treasure subject. Please Texas jay do go on.

I have read with interest the debate over the status of a particular book being fact or fiction?
I cannot comment on the book in question as I have not researched the subject enough.

In putting my two cents worth in However...

Some Authors in the 19th century began to merge some works based on fact into fiction and created a class of books that straddled a world between fact and fiction this was very common from about 1850-1930's This type of journalism in some respect led to the more tabloid way of writing style seen today.

The clinical black and white academic world of classifying these books have had problems with this Grey area. A book with some factual evidence but laced with fiction makes it hard to determine the accuracy of the facts.

From this a researcher should always be careful to weed out the facts from the fiction. This does not mean a book written in this fashion does not have any historical value but it does mean a book of this type should not be solely relied upon. A book written in this fashion should be researched in conjunction with other independent sources to verify the facts and not be used as the sole primary source of the information.

I know of a host of 19th century books that straddles fact and fiction. That have contained invaluable factual information that have been confirmed by independent sources. In contrast I have seen some well respected non fiction books only years later discovered having too many in accuracies.

Rational observer I ask you when do find a book or source unreliable when 25% 50% 75% factual errors? I have found even the most non fictional of books to contain factual errors. Where do we at what point draw the line?

At the end of the day it comes down to persons perception on where they draw the line. But from experience in my own historical research was to take a holistic approach and verify each fact with independent sources.

Enough said please do go on with this interesting thread.

Hardluck  Cool

Firstly and foremost is finding the peer-review, or another reliable source, where the book has been reviewed and written about. If a ?history book? has not been reviewed, and its theories are not included with other theories?.the book more than likely servers no historical significance.

The book in this discussion was written by someone who was well known for writing entertainment fiction, in the form of dime-store novels. They had already written one novel on the subject, Lincoln?s assassination. This was the second in that series.

The publisher, F.A. Brady is known for producing exciting drama related books, and not historically correct publications. This also speaks volumes in pondering the difference between historically correct publications, that has gone through some sort of fact checking for authenticity and on the edge of your seat novel. Written for entertainment value.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg62503.html#msg62503

Offline justint538
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2010, 12:45:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

This is alot of great info! Its pretty hard to clear out all the "murky" info about the KGC and find out what they really were but it's a GREAT topic to discuss because you always find out new things.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg65621.html#msg65621

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2010, 04:39:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is a quote from GoldDigger1950's recent message on another subforum here.  I find this very strange since he is always demanding proof of KGC finds in this subforum.

" Cache hunters like to keep things close to the chest rather than blather them out in public forums."

This is one piece of advice that I think most of my fellow KGC hunters and I know I follow to the letter.  It's also wise to remember that there is much more competition to find KGC depository sites than there is your run-of-the-mill "post-hole bank" and that there are people who monitor all treasure hunting websites whose sole intention is to look for one of us to slip-up and release information about locations or finds so that either they or their employers can use that information to recover the KGC treasures themselves, thus beating us out of all the hard work we've invested in finding them in the first place. 
~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg70521.html#msg70521

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2010, 04:55:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In other words, if you want to know where the cache is buried talked to the Yamashito folks, not the KGCers..... KGCers will tell you just enough to get you interested in funding the expedition (and no I'm not questioning any of the KGC stories).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg70528.html#msg70528

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2010, 05:42:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The Yamashito  treasure is at Victorio Peak they know that they just coming in from the back side

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg70542.html#msg70542

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2010, 06:29:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Haha Seldom! so true Grin

Hardluck that was well spoken. I fully agree that one must look at all the clues and decide what is real and what not.

The only cache storys I dont talk about and share openly are the ones I am actually looking for  Wink I can't say if the KGC had caches, but I did find evidence they were moving weapons secretly in at least one case. It is interesting research at least, I found over 100 newspaper articles mention thier activities before 1900. I had no idea they existed before reading this forum.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg70553.html#msg70553

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2010, 06:59:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

BA, I think you should reconsider your statement about KGCers only wanting funding.  That is not true for most of us.  I don't think you will ever find a message, posted by me or my partner, where we have ever tried to get funding from anyone since we never have and don't intend to.  That is also true of most of my KGC-hunting friends and acquaintances.  So, to lump us all together like that is unfair.  Nor are we trying to sell any books, tv programs, or anything else. 
~Texas Jay 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7224.msg70558.html#msg70558

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
Jump to: