[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline cccalco
Knights of the Golden Circle
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

890.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2010, 07:51:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX]
October 22, 1859 ? January 21, 1864
Note:  Issues are out of order with large gaps

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/ranchero.htm

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], September 15, 1860, p. 2, c. 3
            K. G. C.?A detachment of Knights of the Golden Circle, under the command of Capt. P. H. Thorpe, passed through this city?leaving here this morning on foot, for the general rendezvous near Brownsville, on the Rio Grande.

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], September 22, 1860, p. 2, c. 2
            The K. G. C.?Another small detachment of K. G. C. arrived here this week.  Those who passed through here last week are at the Banquete.  It appears that they are bound to suffer disappointment, as they expected to meet a large force composed of members of their order at some point in Encinal county, a place of rendezvous, subsequent to a march upon Matamoras, which place was to be occupied by a portion, while the main force marched and occupied Monterey, as a place for head-quarters.  As it is, there are no Knights in Encinal county, nor no one, ten, or fifty thousand concentrated at any point in this section?hence the disappointment.  Manuel Doblado is no where to be heard of and the pronunciamento of Comonfort is still in the dark.
            The Knights who are here, and have passed through this place, are orderly and gentlemanly in their bearing, and one would suppose them to be of those who are not likely to be gulled by the prospect of a rancho in Mexico, or in case it did not suit, to receive in lieu thereof eight hundred dollars in cash.  The fallacy of such stories, it seems, will never be apparent other than to such as have gone "regularly through the mill."

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], September 29, 1860, p. 2, c. 1
            The Knights.?The last detachment of Knights of the Golden Circle that arrived here, instead of going farther toward the "seat of war," left, we understand, for their respective homes.  Those who went to the Banquete, came back here and did likewise; and as they performed the trip into the country and back on foot, will satisfy the Civilian they did not carry bridles with them.
            This morning another party of K. G. C., from the States, arrived here.  There must be mismanagement on the part of the leaders, or else a concentration of forces would be better understood.

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], October 13, 1860, p. 2, c. 2
            K. G. C.?The last party of gallant knights arrived here, that took a trip up the country, for the knew "there must be at the least calculation one thousand warriors up there somewhere," and that all Mexico would be a toy for their future amusement.  But, lo!  they have returned, having been disappointed in the number of braves they expected to find at the lowest calculation one thousand men.

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], October 27, 1860, p. 2, c. 4
            K. G. C.?The arrival and return of squads of men to and from this point, who belong to this mysterious order, and the apparent mismanagement on the part of their leaders, has been a matter of much comment in our community.  The knights who arrived here seemed to be in as much need of light upon the subject as ourselves.  The following letter written by Gen. Bickley, dated Austin, Oct. 9th, and published in the Galveston News of the 20th, may serve to partially enlighten our readers upon the subject:
            ["] I regret very much that it was not in my power to remain long enough in Galveston to address your citizens in behalf of the K. G. C.  I desired this, because I feel perfectly confident that the principles involved in the success of this organization have not been fully appreciated in Southern Texas, or I should not have met with so much opposition from a portion of the press.
            The obstacles which I have had to overcome have been greater than my most sanguine friends could have anticipated.  For instance?many of the most prominent men in the organization believe that no attempt should be made until the first of December, at which time we may be more needed at home than abroad.  Again, it has been reported that no provisions can be had in Texas to sustain our men while organizing, and this has rendered the men timid about remaining upon the frontier long enough to collect our forces.  Many sanguine friends have gone to the Rio Grande without being duly prepared and these must necessarily become discouraged.  To procure the arms and necessary materials with which to open the campaign, I have had to traverse every section of the Southern States?to combat misrepresentation, and build up an influence for the order, before anything could be done.  This work has fallen altogether on me.  Besides, the recent failure of Gen. Walker in his expedition to Honduras, and the silence of our Government in reference to the intervention of the British, has caused many to fear that our task would be more difficult than had been previously supposed.  The difficulty of transporting large quantities of materials and troops across the country, and the approaching Presidential contest, have all shown how necessary to success is the element of time.  Arms that ought to have been at our rendezvous have not arrived, and agents have to be sent in search of them.  Corn must be shipped from the Ohio river and the force in this State simultaneously assembled.  All this is the work of time.  To throw ourselves in a body of 400 or 500 men only across the river would insure disaster. This will not do?if I cross, it must be with every element of success in my hands, viz:  men, arms, and material.  We shall cross at the earliest possible moment, and I only ask our friends and the press to give us that assistance which we ought to expect of them.  Give us a few weeks, and all will come out right.  I shall thoroughly canvass the State, and then, if Texas refuses to assist me, I cannot succeed, for I am only one man, and am strong only as I am surrounded by strong men.["]
            The Matamoros correspondent of the N. O. Crescent, seems to take a vice versa view of this would be warlike order.  He writes:
            ["] Talking of war puts me on my guard to caution all you folks not to be caught in Gen. Bickley's new humbug?the Golden Circle.  The authorities here do not know hide nor hair of the matter, and it will meet with resistance from all classes.  What foundation Gen. Bickley has for his movement is past my comprehension, for I know that he is not authorized to raise men on behalf of the Mexican Government.  I think that all engaged in it are on a fool's errand, and that Gen. Bickley is only manoeuvering the public out of its money. ["]

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], November 3, 1860, p. 2, c. 5
            Gen. Bickley's K. G. C. Speech at Austin.?The San Antonio Herald publishes a two column and a half report of Gen. Geo. Bickley's K. G. C. speech at Austin on the 17th.  He disclaimed the title of a fillibuster for himself or order?intimated that they were a humanitarian society?would "perfect" negro slavery in the South and extend it abroad?were not leagued with any political party in the country?did not propose to march into Mexico as an armed force, but as a defensive colony, (per invitation of certain intelligent State Governors,) pledging allegiance and assistance to the liberal people of that country, who are kept "under the surf" by their revolutionary brethren, etc., etc.
            The K. G. C. platform reads well on paper, but we have serious doubts whether there is enough powder in their guns to cure the "sick man" on the other side of the Rio Grande.  The Mexicans are not very apt to affiliate with the "barbarians of the North," and well informed letter writers say that such a movement as that spoken of by Gen. Bickley, would meet with determined resistance from all parties.  We advise young men in the States to stay with their parents a while longer, and seek some surer path to emolument and fame than becoming Bickley Mexico colonists.

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], May 18, 1861, p. 2, c. 6
K. G. C.
            Regular meetings of the Castle of the K. G. C.'s will be held every Friday evening, at the hour of one-half past seven o'clock, in the Virginia House, in this city.  Punctual attendance of the members is requested.  By order of the Castle.
                                                                                                                  Thos. E. Hooper, Sec'y.
            Captain, Wm. I. Moor; Lieutenant, H. W. Berry; Inspector, Simon Jones; Guide, George Pfeiffer; Sergeant, Chas. E. Clark; Treasurer J. Zeigler; Secretary, Thos E. Hooper.                                                                                                       

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], July 6, 1861, p. 2, c. 4
The Fourth in Corpus.
            Last Thursday was a day which will long remain green in the memory of those who participated in its festivities.  All seemed to enjoy themselves, and all were on the move from morning till night.  No disorderly conduct occurred to mar the pleasures of the day, each man, woman and child seeming to make it an especial duty to promote harmony and good will.
            A salute from the big gun at ten o'clock was the signal for the ball to open.  We have not the time nor space to speak as fully as we should like of the various features of the day, and therefore will allude to each briefly:
            The Sunday School celebration at the Court House, was really a feast of reason and flow of soul.  The children of the city, attired in neat holiday dress, entertained a crowded house from ten to near four o'clock with songs, declamations, dialogues, etc.  Rev. J. P. Perham made a very eloquent and stirring opening address.
            The military of the city, consisting of the Artillery company, Capt. Hunsaker, and the Light Infantry, Capt. Newman, made a very imposing parade.  The music was furnished gratuitously by Prof. Goddat, who won for himself golden opinions, not only as a musician, but as a public-spirited, patriotic, whole-souled gentleman.
            Messrs. Shaw and Barnard, proprietors of "La Retama," set out what they termed a free lunch, at half past eleven, which we were inclined to regard as a most sumptuous free dinner.  It was emphatically the best public dinner we ever partook of in Corpus.
            In the afternoon, the K. G. C., a numerous body, who have heretofore been regarded as a very mysterious order, marched through our streets, even as other men, and in a very quiet and orderly manner filed into Zeigler's Hall, where a sumptuous and tempting table awaited them.  Geo. Pfeuffer, Esq., made a telling speech, the Knights made a telling impression upon the good things spread before them, and numerous pert toasts were drank.
            The remainder of the day was consumed in social amusements and fire-side reunions.  Long may the citizens of Corpus retain the public spirit they manifested Thursday.

THE RANCHERO WAR EXTRA [Corpus Christi, TX], July 20, 1861, p. 2, c. 3
Castle K. G. C.
            At a meeting of the Corpus Christi Castle K. G. C., on the 19th of July, 1861, the following resolution was passed, and ordered to be published in The Ranchero:
            Resolved, That the members of said order who have not yet taken the oath of allegiance to the Confederate States of America, come forward as soon as possible and take the same.                                                                                                                       Thos. E. Hooper,                                                                                                                                  Secretary.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg67521.html#msg67521

Knights of the Golden Circle Research and Archive

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2010, 03:58:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Justin, RO and GD wouldn't know rock solid proof if a boulder landed on their heads.   Cheesy  All one needs to do to prove this is to look at all of their ridiculous posts on this subforum and you will not find a single legitimate source given by either of them.  Just naysaying and ridicule, that's their game.  RO offered one "source" after he edited it to include 2 words "probably fictitious" and they call that "proof".  GD just raves on with crazy statements like "back off" and that he is running out of patience with me.  Too bad.  cccalco's last post on this thread is excellent too and gives the names of several Knights that would be excellent subjects to research further.  One could check for their records among Confederate soldiers lists but, more importantly I believe, is to closely examine their lives after the War.  Study the areas where they lived and, in particular, pay attention to what they did for a living.  This is the way I've learned about Knights in my area of Texas.  Some were bankers, some cattlemen, and others owned large businesses.  The KGC financed many banks and business after the War for their members.  The members who owned these businesses, in turn, contributed much of their profits from these KGC-sponsored businesses (after converting them to silver and gold) back to the KGC treasury.  Where did much of this massive wealth go?      Detecting
~Texas Jay   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg67595.html#msg67595

Offline Rational Observer
Silver Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

2730.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2010, 04:41:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Texas Jay

Justin, RO and GD wouldn't know rock solid proof if a boulder landed on their heads.

Alternatively, Jay...you seem to fit into the category of someone gullible enough to believe most conspiracy theories. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg67606.html#msg67606

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2010, 07:43:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are so funny, RO.  It was not me who recently claimed that Cornell University was part of the "conspiracy" to forge War of the Rebellion Records by inserting 84 references to the Knights of the Golden Circle into their online versions of them, now was it?   Funny
~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg67643.html#msg67643

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:20:50 pm by Christian »
Offline justint538
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2010, 07:56:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That's true. RO, it doesn't matter if he is in jail. If he knew about it or even participated in activities with them it's still a rock solid piece of evidence. Jail has nothing to do with it that's also another irrelevant piece of info. Great job with adding unimportant info though! You seem to be a master at that. So now that he provided you with rock solid evidence, just accept that it's right and is true since it is. Yea too bad you can't prove them to be "conspiracy theories" because you don't have any rock solid evidence. Great research! You really know what you are talking about!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg67647.html#msg67647

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2010, 08:55:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Justin, RO and GD wouldn't know rock solid proof if a boulder landed on their heads.   Cheesy  All one needs to do to prove this is to look at all of their ridiculous posts on this subforum and you will not find a single legitimate source given by either of them.  Just naysaying and ridicule, that's their game.  RO offered one "source" after he edited it to include 2 words "probably fictitious" and they call that "proof".  GD just raves on with crazy statements like "back off" and that he is running out of patience with me.  Too bad.  cccalco's last post on this thread is excellent too and gives the names of several Knights that would be excellent subjects to research further.  One could check for their records among Confederate soldiers lists but, more importantly I believe, is to closely examine their lives after the War.  Study the areas where they lived and, in particular, pay attention to what they did for a living.  This is the way I've learned about Knights in my area of Texas.  Some were bankers, some cattlemen, and others owned large businesses.  The KGC financed many banks and business after the War for their members.  The members who owned these businesses, in turn, contributed much of their profits from these KGC-sponsored businesses (after converting them to silver and gold) back to the KGC treasury.  Where did much of this massive wealth go?      Detecting
~Texas Jay   

Cccalco's contribution is nothing but typed text, not documentation. Please tell me you don't consider that "evidence." Jay, I have come to the conclusion that you do not want any evidence real or otherwise that is contrary to what you already believe. I, on the other hand, am willing to examine evidence as long as I can prove it really IS evidence. I even admitted such in this very thread. You accept nonsense and fairy tales instead of proof. Your choice, mate.

Why not just use Wiki instead? Be fully circular. Cite your own old drivel as proof of your own new drivel.

Quote:Posted by justint538
That's true. RO, it doesn't matter if he is in jail. If he knew about it or even participated in activities with them it's still a rock solid piece of evidence. Jail has nothing to do with it that's also another irrelevant piece of info. Great job with adding unimportant info though! You seem to be a master at that. So now that he provided you with rock solid evidence, just accept that it's right and is true since it is. Yea too bad you can't prove them to be "conspiracy theories" because you don't have any rock solid evidence. Great research! You really know what you are talking about!

For me, the evidence is that the NAME was printed in a contemporary newspaper of the day and it was shown to be used prior to the 1930 serialized fiction date I had located already. As such, I have acknowledged it as valid evidence and that I was now of the opinion that the name WAS used prior to then. But only of the NAME being used. The rest of any information there does require more than just the word of a prisoner, Justin. Think about it. It's all good from a starting point sort of way but not as something you would use to go and dig a hole in somebody's field or back yard.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg67662.html#msg67662

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:59:58 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2010, 10:16:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wow!  GD, I can hardly believe what you just said.  You are saying that the New York Times article by Bickley, from the New York Times online archives, is just nonsense and fairy tales.  I guess the Times is on the same conspiracy team as Cornell University now.  By the way, did you ever drag out your dusty volumes of the War of the Rebellion Records and actually prove that Cornell's website of those records forged the 84 references to the Knights of the Golden Circle? 
~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg67671.html#msg67671

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:20:40 pm by Christian »
Offline justint538
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2010, 10:24:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD, o yea I wasn't saying that that officially breaks open the case and fully verifies it. It's just a starting point to continue help pointing in the right direction. I would go a dig a hole if it was my land and I had a back hoe of my own because then it wouldn't really be a possible waste of money but since I don't I'm just going to keep looking for more evidence since this was pretty solid and is pointing it into the right direction.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg67672.html#msg67672

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2010, 10:13:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Wow!  GD, I can hardly believe what you just said.  You are saying that the New York Times article by Bickley, from the New York Times online archives, is just nonsense and fairy tales.  I guess the Times is on the same conspiracy team as Cornell University now.  By the way, did you ever drag out your dusty volumes of the War of the Rebellion Records and actually prove that Cornell's website of those records forged the 84 references to the Knights of the Golden Circle? 
~Texas Jay

Please Register or Login

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bloodybillandersonmystery

You'd better believe it, Jay. What I said was that nothing typed here on this forum in cut and paste is evidence. Nothing. Period. If you swallow it, then you are quite easily mislead. You only buy into it because it happens to feed your fantasy.

It's just words, Jay. Nothing else. It could be exactly true or wildly wrong. It needs much more that what is seen here to be considered proof or evidence, mate.
Quote:Posted by justint538
GD, o yea I wasn't saying that that officially breaks open the case and fully verifies it. It's just a starting point to continue help pointing in the right direction. I would go a dig a hole if it was my land and I had a back hoe of my own because then it wouldn't really be a possible waste of money but since I don't I'm just going to keep looking for more evidence since this was pretty solid and is pointing it into the right direction.

The only thing solid about that is the name being used by a contemporary. That's all.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg67757.html#msg67757

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline cccalco
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

890.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2010, 04:21:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

DAILY GAZETTE & COMET [BATON ROUGE, LA]
January 3, 1860 ? Dec. 29, 1860

Please Register or Login

http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/baton_rouge_gazette&comet.htm

DAILY GAZETTE & COMET [BATON ROUGE, LA], April 6, 1860, p. 2, c. 3
            Knights of the Golden Circle.?This organization, whose sole aim at presents seems the invasion of Mexico and assists in the establishment of a new government, has caused some interest, especially among the young men of the city, many of whom are unemployed.?They have formed an association, and for some time past have been engaged in drilling and perfecting themselves in the use of arms, at their rooms, corner of Baltimore and Holiday streets.  There are nearly one thousand signatures to the muster roll, some of whom are of very respectable families.  The companies are being drilled by experienced officers, who have done service in the United States army, and the membership are quite sanguine in leaving this port in two or three weeks, unmolested by the Government.  They do not intend arming themselves until they get beyond the jurisdiction of the United States.?Baltimore American.

DAILY GAZETTE & COMET [BATON ROUGE, LA], April 13, 1860, p. 2, c. 5
            Knights of the Golden Circle.?The St. Joseph papers say that several hundred Knights of the Golden Circle from Kansas and Nebraska, had arrived there, and would be prepared to start soon for Mexico.

DAILY GAZETTE & COMET [BATON ROUGE, LA], April 19, 1860, p. 2, c. 21
            Gone to Take Mexico.?The Goliad (Texas) Messenger says, a company of twenty-seven armed men passed through that place en route for Mexico the other day.  The expedition is a secret one, and the Messenger has done wrong to herald it to the world.  Should the news of their coming go before them and the matter be whispered in the halls of the Montezumas?past any reasonable doubt, the walls of the same will crack.  The K. G. C's are supposed to have a finger in this affair.

DAILY GAZETTE & COMET [BATON ROUGE, LA], October 12, 1860, p. 2, c. 2
            An Expedition Come to Nothing.?The Galveston Civilian is responsible for the following piece of information.  The Knights of the Golden Circle, who have been so far benightened [sic] as to march to Western Texas, have concluded that they have had about as near a view of the elephant as would pay.  The Corpus Christi Ranchero says:
            "The last detachment of Knights of the Golden Circle that arrived here instead of going farther towards the "seat of war," left, we understand, for their respective homs.  those who went to the Banquette, came back here and did likewise; and as they performed the trip into the country and back on foot, will satisfy the  Civilian they did not carry bridles with them.
            "This morning another party of K. G. C., from the States, arrived here.  There must be mismanagement on the part of the leaders, or else a concentration of force would be better understood."
            Young men at a distance should be cautious how they enter upon quixotic and desperate expeditions of this kind.  The whole scheme, in the present state of affairs, is chimercal [sic] and dangerous in the extreme.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg67834.html#msg67834

Knights of the Golden Circle Research and Archive

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up
Jump to: