[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2010, 05:34:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I had one of those big ol tonka steamshovels, man that dude was cool.  Grin

Those mini diggers would be nice for portability. My backhoe is a 1945 ford so its not much larger and generally requires some time with a welder after use, but she does the job.  Smiley Slowly replacing all the hoses and valves as they burst hehe. Still beats an old #2 shovel....

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg66919.html#msg66919

Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2010, 06:27:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You don't need a backhoe to prove the KGC did exist. Have you ever researched the Records of the Rebellion? There are references to the KGC all over but I know some people still think the earth is flat and I can never change their mind.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg66930.html#msg66930

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2010, 06:46:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi salvor6.  I totally agree with your statement as I have thoroughly researched erthe War of the Rebellion Records and found dozens of reports about the KGC and its alias organizations like the Order of American Knights (O.A.K.) and the Sons of Liberty.  All one has to do is enter these names into the Simple Search box and it will retrieve the reports for you.
~Texas Jay

Please Register or Login

http://digital.library.cornell.edu/m/moawar/waro.html

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg66936.html#msg66936

Offline superduty
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

535.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2010, 07:22:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Goldfinger
A few years later - the site was covered up by the rising waters of the Black River when they dammed it upstream  to create either Table Rock Lake or Lake Taneycamo(sic) I can't remember which one it was.

Steve
Back to the lost KGC gold part of the post.. The only lake I know of on the Black River is Clearwater Lake. Table Rock is on the White River and in the western part of the state south west of Springfield. The Black river is more on the eastern half of the state. The Black River is a tributary of the White which ultimately flows into the Mississippi from Arkansas south of Memphis. I have spend several years swimming, tubing, and canoeing the Black and many, many other rivers of that area and have lived and hunted, root diggin, edible plant collecting,artifact hunting, general snooping around, just about all of my life from the time I was old enough to follow along up till today actually, I went squirrel hunting today,( I'm forty years old) in the woods of that area and many, many areas in surrounding states. When someone says they came back 90 years later and they could find the camp site, a camp site of the type they would have made back in those days, a bell automatically goes off saying something does not sound right with this story IMHO. But hey thats just me.. Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg66951.html#msg66951

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2010, 08:50:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by salvor6
You don't need a backhoe to prove the KGC did exist. Have you ever researched the Records of the Rebellion? There are references to the KGC all over but I know some people still think the earth is flat and I can never change their mind.

And there are also those who believe that because you can see the sun rise and set over your head that you are the center of the universe.

I have seen and have copies of the Records of the Rebellion and have never seen a reference to the words Knights of the Golden Circle in the records of the day. I have discovered a fictional serialized accounting of historic events that contained the name.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg66962.html#msg66962

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Texas Jay
Bronze Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Gold Stinger
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2010, 09:25:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
And there are also those who believe that because you can see the sun rise and set over your head that you are the center of the universe.

I have seen and have copies of the Records of the Rebellion and have never seen a reference to the words Knights of the Golden Circle in the records of the day. I have discovered a fictional serialized accounting of historic events that contained the name.

Who do you think you are fooling, GoldDigger1950?  For you to say such a crazy thing is just more than I or anyone who has read the War of the Rebellion Records can tolerate.  If you'd like me to spell it out for you, I will.  Here are the results of a "simple search" of those records using the keywords: Knights of the Golden Circle.

Home  Search  Browse  About  Help  Bookbag
Search Results
You searched: Books: Civil War Official Histories for "Knights of the Golden Circle" within full text, not sorted
Results: 84 matches in 20 records

Refine this search 

1 to 20 of 20 records Sort by:  not sorted author title date ascending date descending   

Title: Official records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion. ; Series I - Volume 13: South Atlantic Blockading Squadron (May 14, 1862 - April 7, 1863)
Author: United States. Naval War Records Office
Publication Info: Washington Govt. Print. Off.   
→ Search Results: 1 match in full text
Results details | Table of contents | View first page | Add to bookbag
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 1 - Volume 22 (Part II)
Author: United States. War Dept., John Sheldon Moody, Calvin Duvall Cowles, Frederick Caryton Ainsworth, Robert N. Scott, Henry Martyn Lazelle, George Breckenridge Davis, Leslie J. Perry, Joseph William Kirkley
→ Search Results: 6 matches in full text
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 1 - Volume 23 (Part II)
Author: United States. War Dept., John Sheldon Moody, Calvin Duvall Cowles, Frederick Caryton Ainsworth, Robert N. Scott, Henry Martyn Lazelle, George Breckenridge Davis, Leslie J. Perry, Joseph William Kirkley
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 1 - Volume 32 (Part I)
→ Search Results: 2 matches in full text
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 1 - Volume 34 (Part II)
→ Search Results: 3 matches in full text
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 1 - Volume 34 (Part III)
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 1 - Volume 41 (Part III)
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 1 - Volume 48 (Part II)
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 1 - Volume 50 (Part I)
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 1 - Volume 50 (Part II)
→ Search Results: 5 matches in full text
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 1 - Volume 52 (Part I)
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 2 - Volume 1
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 2 - Volume 2
→ Search Results: 11 matches in full text
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 2 - Volume 4
→ Search Results: 5 matches in full text
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 2 - Volume 5
→ Search Results: 4 matches in full text
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 2 - Volume 7
→ Search Results: 19 matches in full text
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 2 - Volume 8
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 3 - Volume 3
→ Search Results: 12 matches in full text
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 3 - Volume 4
Title: The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 4 - Volume 4

1 to 20 of 20 records Sort by:  not sorted author title date ascending date descending   

By my count, that is 84 exact matches.  One will get many more using the alias names for the KGC that I provided above.
~Texas Jay

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg66967.html#msg66967

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2010, 11:52:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Texas Jay
Who do you think you are fooling, GoldDigger1950?  For you to say such a crazy thing is just more than I or anyone who has read the War of the Rebellion Records can tolerate.  If you'd like me to spell it out for you, I will.  Here are the results of a "simple search" of those records using the keywords: Knights of the Golden Circle.

Internet searches return text only. Everything on the web is suspect and not reliable except as a starting point for real research. Photostats or copies of the original records are different. They don't lie. They don't have an agenda. They are factual. This is my entire point revealed by you for all to see. You rely on Internet searches instead of the actual documents or authentic copies of the documents and that leads to mistaken assumptions.

Here you go. All 128 volumes of the Records of the War of Rebellion.

Please Register or Login

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1365277292&searchurl=bi%3D0%26bx%3Doff%26ds%3D30%26recentlyadded%3Dall%26sortby%3D1%26tn%3Drecords%2Bwar%2Bof%2Bthe%2Brebellion%26x%3D76%26y%3D11

Those are the records of the day, not reprints, not excerpts, not interpretations, not transcriptions but the real, actual records photographically reproduce for your use. I don't expect you to go out and buy them, Jay, but they are available in almost any state library in the USA and every Federal Library.

I have a few of those 128 volumes in my personal library and a complete set of Naval Documents of the American Revolution which has thousands of references gun running with some records, Naval supply routes & records, pirate routes & some records and troop transportation records during the American Revolution.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg66996.html#msg66996

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:00:13 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2010, 12:40:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Jay's records come from the Cornell University web site. Thay have all 128 volumes online.

Please Register or Login

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg67008.html#msg67008

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:48:59 am by outback »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2010, 01:05:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by salvor6
Jay's records come from the Cornell University web site. Thay have all 128 volumes online.

Please Register or Login

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu

Not on those pages. This appears to be a dead end. All I could find were some transcriptions. No images of primary documents.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg67027.html#msg67027

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:26:41 am by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline cccalco
Knights of the Golden Circle
Bronze Member

Knights of the Golden Circle
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

890.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2010, 07:37:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

[LaGrange, TX] TRUE ISSUE Scattered issues, 1860-1864

Please Register or Login

http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/lagrange%20papers.htm

[LAGRANGE, TX] TRUE ISSUE, January 20, 1860, masthead
            "A family paper devoted to news, literature, morality, and the dissemination of useful knowledge."
            "Our country, our state, the South, and the Union."

[LAGRANGE, TX] STATE RIGHTS DEMOCRAT, March 7, 1861, p. 3, c. 2
            Texas K. G. C. State Convention.?We reached home from the Convention of the K. G. C. held in San Antonio on the 22nd ult., too late to furnish our readers with a full report of its doings.  Geo. W. Chilton, of Tyler, was elected Marshal of Texas Division; Jas. Vance, of San Antonio, State Treasurer; the editor of this paper State Printer; Elkanah Greer, of Marshal, General of Eastern Brigade; John S. Ford, of Austin, General of Middle Brigade, and John A. Wilcox, of San Antonio, General of the Western Brigade.  So it will be seen that measures were taken to effect a thorough organization throughout the State.  The Convention tendered the services of the Order to the authorities of Texas.  The Order is in a flourishing condition in this Division, and numbers about eight thousand of the best and bravest of Southern soldiers.  We shall publish the full proceedings of the convention in our next issue.

[LAGRANGE, TX] STATE RIGHTS DEMOCRAT, May 16, 1861, p. 1, c. 4-5
An Address to the
Knights of the Gol-
den Circle in Texas.
By C. A. Russel.
                                                                                                                                                                              (For the Democrat.)
            Brother Knights:  Believing that a word of advice and admonition is called for and may be beneficial to many of our brethren in the present hour of doubt as to the future, I thus address you through the public press.
            Since the commencement of our organization in Texas, events have rapidly transpired which prove the truth of our principles and a necessity of our existence.
            The political troubles which are gathering thickly around us, were to each of you clearly foretold, and you have been forewarned to prepare for the emergency.  If you have not done so, it is not because you were not aware of the necessity for preparation, (for that has held a prominent place in our teachings); but because you were disposed to hope against reason and put far away the evil day.  But the time has come to shake off the idle day dreams of peace, and prepare for battle.  No vain hope can now hover over us.  There is no room for hope.  No idle words are now needed, but strong arms and willing hearts.  War is upon us; our homes and firesides are threatened with invasion.  I need not exhort you to arm and prepare for the conflict, for it there is one among us who is not ready and willing to do to the extent of his ability, he is not a true Knight, and to such this is not addressed.  I know of none such nor do I believe that such have entered within the pale of knighthood.  But while I am satisfied of your patriotism and your bravery, I am fearful that many may forget amid the absorbing events of the day, the obligation which they owe to the Order of Knighthood in which we claim to be brethren.  I believe that wherever, we may be scattered as individuals we shall be true to the principles upon which our Order is founded, but am fearful we shall not be sufficiently mindful of that part of our obligation which relates to the machinery by which we expect to spread and perpetuate those principles.  Upon that point I admonish every member of the Order to be attentive and vigilant.  Use every opportunity that may offer to establish the working machinery of the Order until our Castles shall arise like monuments all over the land.  You will find, as did the Knights of old, in your Castles a sure defence against the assault of your enemies. Slander and misrepresentation in their attempts to poison all that is good among men, have not entirely overlooked us.  I have been told that such an organization as ours, would become an evil in that hour when our country needed the services of her sons in battle.  That petty jealousies and a spirit of party monopoly would prevent us from taking part in active warfare, unless we could be called into service as a body with our own officers and organization.  Whether this opinion of us is well founded I leave for you, brother Knights, by your actions to say.  I am satisfied that the result will disprove the assertion.  We have taught no such practice.  I admonish you to go forth wherever your country may call singly or in companies, as circumstances may require.  But do not let the stirring events of war cause you to forget the principles that have been taught you, and do not forget that those with whom your lot may be cast, may become, by y our teachings and through your instrumentality, linked together by the iron hand of a common brotherhood as Knights of the true faith.  Wherever you may go you may sow the seed that shall bring forth fruits of blessing to our country and glory to our Order.  Carry out our principles, and slander shall become dumb before the chivalrous acts of our brethren.  Do this, and the world will soon understand that there is one brotherhood of men founded upon patriotism, whose only object is to build up an Order that shall be ever ready to advance the institutions of our country and defend them at the point of the sword.  Do not however allow party pride to enter our Castles or in any manner influence your actions.  Remember that the principles which we teach, and desire to propagate, existed before our order was founded, and would continue to exist were it to be dissolved and vanish into thin air.  Remember that we claim nothing by our organization but a desire to serve our country by teaching those principles and uniting together all good men for their maintenance and defence.  And remember that we can only accomplish this fully by paying due attention to the machinery of castle organization, which constitutes the working tools of the Order.  If duty calls you from home, build up monuments of our Order in your pathway, and if you are permitted to remain and enjoy the comforts of home, there you will find our work to perform.  Arouse the military spirit of your neighbors, organize them into companies and teach them military tactics and science.  Carry out the recommendations of our Governor in his late proclamation, until every able-bodied Texan shall be enrolled as a citizen soldier for the defence of our State; impress upon this citizen soldiery the importance of military drill as a means by which men can be commanded and made to move in concert and harmony at the command of their officers, as the necessities of the moment may require.  All this is in accordance with the spirit of our Organization and therefore in the direct line of our duty as K. G. C.
            Brother Knights, carry out our principles according to these suggestions and we shall be able to meet the troublous times as become FREEMEN, and when the pending storm shall have passed, should other work demand our attention, the K. G. C. will be prepared for action.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,792.msg67038.html#msg67038

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:58:43 am by Christian »

Knights of the Golden Circle Research and Archive

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up
Jump to: