[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Cyberborikua
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 06:53:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes and No. Yes it is all up to each individual but I don't really think the folks in the video are being disrespectful, but rather my point is that if the facility is in fact a place for recreation wherein metal detecting is allowed, the term "memorial can be rather symbolic as opposed to grounds wherein deceased people are actually buried. There is such a place in Chicago and I would never, ever detect in that place.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14281.msg116622.html#msg116622

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 03:55:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

BA, if you hunted the Arizona Memorial site you'd have a really, really, really hard time adjusting your discrimination.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14281.msg116746.html#msg116746

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 04:16:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

how long do you think I'd last if I tried to take a metal detector into the information center?  probably about as long as I'd last trying to take a gun through airport security.

BTW, I wouldn't even detect at the USS Arizona Memorial at the Arizona State Capitol.   There are several areas of the 'park' that I would have no problems detecting in or around, but I'd steer clear of all of the war memorials + the law enforcement memorial even if I knew there were barbers and walking liberties for the picking.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14281.msg116750.html#msg116750

Offline Cyberborikua
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 06:10:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

And why is that, too many minerals in the soil?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14281.msg116761.html#msg116761

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 07:05:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cyberborikua
And why is that, too many minerals in the soil?

Me or GD?

If the case is why wouldn't I hunt those particular spots, it is because I know people are still actively using those specific memorials as memorials and it is out of respect for them.

If the case is why GD says I'd have a really, really, really hard time adjusting my discrimination, I'll have to wait and see what kind of answer he's going to come back with too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14281.msg116778.html#msg116778

Offline Cyberborikua
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 06:42:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah, I agree with you and respect your opinion. Yes, the question was for GD. I have not come out to hunt much for I'm new to this. I just started w this great hobby this past summer. However, I always check for the need for permits or whether it is allowed to hunt or not. Definitely memorial parks are not places for me to hunt. In Chicago I found what I thought was a great spot to hunt based on old maps, but when arriving to the spot, the area had been converted into a memorial park wherein there are people still buried. No way I'd disturb such a sacred place. Yet, I got a better benefit out of this experience. I learned a lot of history Teach and that is precious!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14281.msg116843.html#msg116843

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:50:42 am by Cyberborikua »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 04:27:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well, guys, the USS Arizona is down there and she was a battleship of generous proportion. You'd be able to find her from probably 10 meters away. The memorial itself is steel reinforced cement with lots of bronze and things inside. All in all, very hard to hunt for coins there.

I, too, stay away from memorial sites. People come there for a somber reflection and I want no part in disturbing that. When I was a kid, we had a place near us called Memorial Park which had a small rose garden near the memorial itself. The rest of the park was like any other. I don't think I'd hesitate to hunt the baseball diamond or the fairgrounds area. But never the rose garden area.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14281.msg116941.html#msg116941

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Cyberborikua
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 05:36:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I visited the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii and was impressed by the fact that she is still releasing oil?  Shocked. The park is really beautiful and the museum has lots of memories. Not a place for anyone to hunt. In fact metal detecting in Hawaii is only permited in sandy beaches without a permit. I also went by the first sugar plantation in Ohau, now in ruins, and thought that it would be a great site for relics hunting. The old plantation is private property now.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14281.msg116955.html#msg116955

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Metal Detecting in Hawaii beaches.jpg

Offline solarliving
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites Eagle II
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 05:24:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i understand not MD a cemetary, what is their is no walls or has no lasting headstones like a ghost town I see areas where their may have been wood crosses once upon a time. whats your thoughts on these type places
Earl

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14281.msg155668.html#msg155668

Offline Cyberborikua
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 07:00:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I would say to research local laws and statutes governing cemeteries and abandoned cemeteries. I personally would not dig in any cemetery even if it was abandoned.  No no!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14281.msg155707.html#msg155707

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: