[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline texasred777Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 840, + non working BH 840,  Bounty Hunter Tracker 2-D/707, BH Lone Star,  BH Tracker IV, and MD-3005 (Harbor Freight)
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:38:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this; but it can be moved.   When I was a pre- or early teen ager, there was a story about someone finding some gold bars on the bank of the Brazos River just south of Waco, Texas.  There was a lot of talk about it for a while.  It must have been in the late 1940s or early 1950s.  I believe the article was in the Waco Tribune Herald newspaper.  A letter, or some sort of communication was sent to the government concerning the laws of found gold bars.  I believe it was 16 bars.  This has been a long time ago and I haven't heard anymore about it since it ceased to be in the news.  The government told them that gold found like that was the property of the government and would have to be turned over to them.  After several letters, I don't know if the finders told the government that they were taking the gold or if they simply just took it an left.  A few days/weeks later, a hole was found in the bank of the Brazos just south of Waco.  It was said that there were imprints that possibly could have where gold bars had been removed. 
Anyone know any thing about this?  I haven't tried to research it (yet).  I read an article about Jesse James burying a safe in east Waco and it brought back the memory about the gold bars.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48521.msg264494.html#msg264494

Old Texan transplanted in Idaho.  Love Idaho; but sure miss Texas!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:00:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dang but that Jesse James must have been one super busy, super speedy person to have done everything that gets attributed him.....but the story is interesting and sounds very plausible, at least on the surface.    As for "The government told them that gold found like that was the property of the government and would have to be turned over to them.", given the time period, the government would have definitely claimed it under the Gold Reserve Act of 1934 and related executive orders.

Thanks for sharing the story.....and if the finders just took the gold and ran, there's a good chance it is out there waiting for someone else to recover it again.

BA

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48521.msg264500.html#msg264500

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: