Brazos River gold bars

(1/1)

texasred777:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this; but it can be moved.   When I was a pre- or early teen ager, there was a story about someone finding some gold bars on the bank of the Brazos River just south of Waco, Texas.  There was a lot of talk about it for a while.  It must have been in the late 1940s or early 1950s.  I believe the article was in the Waco Tribune Herald newspaper.  A letter, or some sort of communication was sent to the government concerning the laws of found gold bars.  I believe it was 16 bars.  This has been a long time ago and I haven't heard anymore about it since it ceased to be in the news.  The government told them that gold found like that was the property of the government and would have to be turned over to them.  After several letters, I don't know if the finders told the government that they were taking the gold or if they simply just took it an left.  A few days/weeks later, a hole was found in the bank of the Brazos just south of Waco.  It was said that there were imprints that possibly could have where gold bars had been removed. 
Anyone know any thing about this?  I haven't tried to research it (yet).  I read an article about Jesse James burying a safe in east Waco and it brought back the memory about the gold bars.

Linkback: You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Loginhttp://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48521.msg264494.html#msg264494

BitburgAggie_7377:
Dang but that Jesse James must have been one super busy, super speedy person to have done everything that gets attributed him.....but the story is interesting and sounds very plausible, at least on the surface.    As for "The government told them that gold found like that was the property of the government and would have to be turned over to them.", given the time period, the government would have definitely claimed it under the Gold Reserve Act of 1934 and related executive orders.

Thanks for sharing the story.....and if the finders just took the gold and ran, there's a good chance it is out there waiting for someone else to recover it again.

BA

Linkback: You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Loginhttp://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48521.msg264500.html#msg264500

Navigation

[0] Message Index