[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: January 29, 2010, 03:52:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Here is a story from around 1910 about two US soldiers supposed search for treasure in Luzon.

Any truth to it or a lie to get out of jail  Huh?

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg69915.html#msg69915

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

los angeles herald 23 sept 1910 buried gold in luzon.jpg

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 03:57:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I guess the question would be did Brookes end up dead somewhere?  Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg69919.html#msg69919

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 04:33:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting story, Hardluck.

I've done some really quick fact checking (so it's necessarily sketchy and subject to revision by anyone willing and desirous of taken the time to persue this further).

1)   Fact:   the 10th Cavalry WAS stationed in the Philippines after their tour of duty in Cuba during the Spanish American War.
      2)   Apparent Fact:  William Spillman is NOT listed on the Troop B, Tenth Cavalry roster for 1898 when the Regiment was in Cuba......However, there is nothing preventing him from having joined between the time the unit went to the Philippines
      3)   Fact:   According to the 10th Cavalry unit histories, the regiment returned to the United States in 1902
      4)   Fact:   Camp Wallace was not established until November 1903
Either Spillman was not at Camp Wallace OR his troop remained in the Philippines after the rest of ther regiment departed

The general premise of a Spanish family burying the family silver and money is entirely plausible given the history of the Philippines between 1898 and 1903.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg69924.html#msg69924

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 05:04:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

I am always amazed with the little treasure stories you can find through old journals, magazines and papers.

I tend to agree with Idaho Jones that Brookes was perhaps murdered. And the story of treasure may of been a Fabrication.

But the story could also be possible as BA mentioned.

BA well done with the detective work, I like your research style. There may be more to discover on this story if anyone has the interest.

I am kind of surprised our Filipino friends have nor taken more interest in this possible treasure story?

Hardluck  Wink

Hello all

I guess I have to eat my own words  Embarrassed I suppose will can all make assumptions a little early and all a little too easy.  Open mouth insert foot Grin

I found a follow up story of the above. It seems more to the story that just a story to get out of jail?Huh?

I now wonder if there is more to the story?

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg71097.html#msg71097

TREASURE IN LUZON PART2 LOS ANGELES HERALD 24 SEPT 1910.jpg

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 10:14:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

wow nice find Hardluck! I searched my newspaper archives and didnt find anything. Only problem now is only Spillman knew where it was. Did he die in jail? Maybe a deathbed passing of the map so to speak. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg71133.html#msg71133

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 06:50:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all

Idaho Jones

I have not found the details on the court proceedings which may throw more details to light.

Here is some more reports on the events of the escape from the hospital. It must of been convincing enough story for Brookes to throw away his career to become a fugitive?

I think it would be interesting to check US army military operations in the Philippines at that time.There might be a little more to the story than meets the eye?

Hardluck. Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg71259.html#msg71259

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

1A.jpg
2A.jpg
3A.jpg
4A.jpg
William Spillman SAn FRANCISCO CALL 25 SEPT 1910.jpg

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 09:51:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting stuff. There should be courtmarshall records somewhere. Nice work! I gotta get in gear here....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg71426.html#msg71426

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:41:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Idaho Jones.

You have a very good idea there, it would be fantastic if we found the court martial records. Spillman prison records perhaps even still exist.

BA was right camp Wallace was opened in 1903 and originally the land was purchased for the Calvary was never used for them. However Spillman may of been in northern Luzon 1899-1900.

It has been a very interesting researching this treasure story as I am learning about a war that very few people are even aware of.

The more I research this treasure story the more amazed that there has been no input from our Philippine friends on this subject?Huh?

Perhaps I have to leave stone markers around?  Grin

I may have discovered other stories that may be connected to this story?

Much more information to come.

Hardluck  Wink

Hello All

Is There any Filipinos out there interested in researching Spanish treasure hidden in the Philippines?

Hardluck  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg89862.html#msg89862

765px-WallaceAS.jpg

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 08:17:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by hardluck
The more I research this treasure story the more amazed that there has been no input from our Philippine friends on this subject?Huh?

Perhaps I have to leave stone markers around?  Grin

You wanna borrow my gouge, curved rondel chisels and harigana templates. Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg89881.html#msg89881

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 04:31:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Hobbyist

I may have to take you up on that offer.  Grin

Perhaps they prefer the treasures of wishful thinking instead of lost treasures from the history of their country?

However I will continue posting on this subject even if there is no interest by the Philippine community. I dedicate the following postings to all those who have interests in treasure stories.

The question remains what was the source of this treasure story that inspired a man to murder and another break an inmate out of jail?

Perhaps we will find a clue dating form 1900?

In the Fort Wayne newspaper of the 8th of January 1900 story tells of a group of Americans who had formed a syndicate looking for millions of dollars of treasure buried by a Chinese mandarin in 1762.

Was William Spillman originally linked to this group? Interesting enough the paper states some coins where found dated in years before the British invasion of 1762.

In researching the 1762 British invasion of Manila, I found following quoted from a book History of the Philippines 1898

At this time it was alleged that a conspiracy was being organized amongst the Chinese residents in the Province of Pampanga with the object of assassinating Anda and his Spanish followers. The Chinese cut trenches and raised fortifications, avowing that their bellicose preparations were only to defend themselves against the possible attack of the British.

Whilst the Spaniards saw in all this a connivance with the invaders. The latter no doubt conjectured rightly. Anda, acting upon the views of his party, precipitated matters by appearing with 14 Spanish soldiers and a crowd of native bowmen to commence the slaughter in the town of Guagua. The Chinese assembled there in great numbers, and Anda endeavoured in vain to induce them to surrender to him. He then sent a Spaniard, named Miguel Garc?s, with a message, offering them pardon in the name of the King of Spain if they would lay down their arms; but they killed the emissary, and Anda therefore commenced the attack.

The result was favourable for Andaʼs party, and great numbers of the Chinese were slain. Many fled to the fields, where they were pursued by the troops, whilst those who were captured were hanged. Such was the inveterate hatred which Anda entertained for the Chinese, that he issued a general decree declaring all the Chinese traitors to the Spanish flag, and ordered them to be hanged wherever they might be found in the provinces. Thus thousands of Chinese were executed who had taken no part whatever in the events of this little war.

Was this Chan Lee Suey a victim of these events? It is clear that the Chinese were persecuted by the Spanish for colluding with the British during the British invasion of Manila.

The trick is of course working out from what town Chan lee Suey was caught. Might help in tracking down a general area worth searching?

Strange enough in researching the treasure story above I have found 2 other treasure stories relating to the 1762 events. One treasure was recovered in 1867 and another the biggest missing treasure of them all was a massive 10 million dollars in 1762 values. I cannot imagine the value today.

That is of course another story.

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg90117.html#msg90117

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

450px-Fort_Santiago_Postern_of_Our_Lady_of_Solitude,_Manila_03.jpg
Fort wayne News luzon treasure story 1 8 900.jpg

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up