[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 08:10:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting Hardluck,

I for one am interested in the story but I keep running into dead ends and like you other treasure tales which distract me. Smiley Great thinking going to an earlier date for the possible original discovery. Even if it's not related to Spillman it's a great treasure story. It's fascinating all the storys you uncover that get lost in time, and that knowlege is treasure in it's own right. Thanks again for sharing it Smiley

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg90168.html#msg90168

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 07:55:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

The town of Calumpit in which Chan lee Suey fled from during the Chinese revolt against the Spanish during the British invasion of Manila in 1762 has an ancient church. Built in 1572, the St. John the Baptist Church is the oldest church in Bulacan. Constructed under the supervision of Augustinian priest Diego Vivar Ordonez.

The church has been a mute witness to the Filipinos' struggle against Spanish, American and Japanese rule. Strange enough there is a treasure legend about the church. Inside the church is a tunnel that, as legend would have it, was used by priests during the Spanish regime to keep gold, religious statues and ornate jewelry hidden from the sight of treasure hunters in uncertain times.

However Chan lee Suey was fleeing down river to British Protection in manila. There was enough waterways to travel along the river system to the south to Manila. The question is where Chan lee Suey was captured by the Spanish?

The Area in its self is a needle in a hay stack. The actual site where the Chinese revolted against the Spanish was Pampanga which was north of Clumpit and Manila to the south. It is possible that some where near Clampit Chan Lee Suey buried his treasure or he himself was captured?

There is many questions and conclusions that could be assumed from the events of 1762. Was some inside knowledge some how passed onto the American syndicate in 1900? America was engaging in a war with the Philippines itself. So it seems hardly possible the locals would give them inside information about treasure?

But perhaps one of remaining Spanish Philippine families saw it as an opportunity to make a deal with the Americans of 1900? How William Spillman exactly became involved is another mystery in its self.

In researching more about this story I came across veiled references to a much bigger treasure that the British wanted to captured but failed to get.

But that's all for now.

More to come soon.

Hardluck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg90801.html#msg90801

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

800px-Calumpit_-_Calumpit_Church_(3).jpg
CLUMPIT CHURCH AFTER WW2.jpg
CLUMPIT PRE WW2.jpg

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 11:10:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

ahhh, but it doesn't count unless it is either Japanese or the Japanese found it and hid it again.    Cry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg90834.html#msg90834

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 01:01:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Grin BA  Smiley

Hardluck thats some interesting stuff. Makes you wonder if the church had more than one secret tunnel?  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg90860.html#msg90860

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 06:14:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Idaho Jones and BA

BA It could be possible that the Japanese found the hoard, but it could be possible too that the Spanish found it. It can be also that perhaps it is still where it was originally hidden or never really there at all. The possibilities are endless.

Idaho Jones Perhaps the church would be good to search especially for a second tunnel? However there is perhaps more we can find out about the events around 1762 and the British occupation of Manila.

During this turmoil the Chinese who had been repressed by the Spanish decided to support the British. Much of the treasure Chan lee Suey obtained could of been Spanish Plunder anyway. In the 1898 book written on the events states.

The Chinese in open rebellion against the Spanish plundered their oppressors with great eagerness.

Could it have been possible that the treasure Chan lee Suey obtained could of been Spanish Plunder from Calumpit and its church?

The Spanish had retreated North and British kept to the south and the Town of Clampit was in an area what we would call to day "No mans land"

At this same time in the same area another great treasure was being sought by the British and being spirited away by clergy and the Spanish.

On September 24 1767  A richly laden galleon?the Philipino?was known to be on her way from Mexico to Manila, but the British ships which were sent in quest of her fell in with another galleon?the Trinidad?and brought their prize to Manila. Her treasure amounted to about 2,500,000 pounds

It seems this Manila Galleon Philipino from Mexico carrying enormous treasure escaped the British and the treasure was landed further north on the island of Luzon.Some of this money was used to fight the British by buying the philipino loyalty of some tribes. However much of this vast treasure has never fully be accounted for.

The British on terms of the acting Spanish governor of Manila's surrender 2 million dollars of treasure. Measures were now taken to pay the agreed indemnity. However, the consequent heavy contributions levied upon the inhabitants, together with the silver from the pious establishments, church ornaments, plate, the Archbishopʼs rings and breast-cross, only amounted to ₱546,000.

The British then proposed to accept one million at once and draw the rest from the cargo of the galleon Philipino, should it result that she had not been seized by the British previous to the day the capitulation was signed?but the one million was not forthcoming. The day before the capture of Manila a royal messenger had been sent off with ₱111,000, with orders to hide them in some place in the Laguna de Bay.

The Archbishop now ordered their return to Manila, and issued a requisition to that effect, but the Franciscan friars were insubordinate, and armed the natives, whom they virtually ruled, and the treasure was secreted in Majayjay Convent (Tayabas Province). Thence, on receipt of the Archbishopʼs message, it was carried across country to a place in North Pampanga, bordering on Cagay?n and Pangasin?n.

The British, convinced that they were being duped, insisted on their claim. Thomas Backhouse, commanding the troops stationed at Pasig, went up to the Laguna de Bay with 80 mixed troops, to intercept the bringing of the Philipino treasure. He attacked Tunasan, Vinan and Santa Rosa, and embarked for Pagsanj?n, which was then the capital of the Laguna Province. The inhabitants, after firing the convent and church, fled.

Backhouse returned to Calamba, entered the Province of Batangas, overran it, and made several Austin friars prisoners. In Lipa he seized ₱3,000, and established his quarters there, expecting that the Philipino treasure would be carried that way; but on learning that it had been transported by sea to a Pampanga coast town, Backhouse returned to his post at Pasig.

The Spanish were determined that this treasure was not going to be captured by the British and fled north with it. Strange enough William Spillman was allegedly stationed in La Union a century and half later which is in the province that the treasure was shipped through. There is another story of the Jesuits who later took charge of the treasure and hid the treasure in Cagay?n Province in the Mountains in Luzon. Legends say they hid the treasure in caves along a tributary of the Cagay?n river. In 1767 the Jesuits were expelled and were not compelled to revel the remaining hiding place of the treasure.

Interesting enough there is a cave system called the Callao caves. The six caves are open in places that leave natural sunlight to light some of the caves. One has a chapel inside a cave dating back from the 18th century.

Could some where in this network of caves be buried the remaining funds hidden away from 1762?

Interesting enough there is a newspaper story in 1890 that might revel that some treasure might of been recovered from the region in 1867?

Was this 1867 treasure story connected to the events in 1762?

More to come soon.

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg91025.html#msg91025

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

1092555338_ed11004918.jpg
IMG_0307.jpg
callao_caves.jpg

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 07:42:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gee, Hardluck, I really don't think any of our Filippino brethren are interested in looking for anything other than treasure the Japanese hid.   (Just like a lot of our stateside enthusiasts only seem interested in JJ and the KGC).    I'm enjoying the stories and the pictures.  If the Philippines were a spot I'd be likely to go any time in the next 5 years, I'd be working these tales instead of the Japanese stories.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg91155.html#msg91155

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 09:39:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello BA

I most likely have to borrow Hobbyist's tools he offered me and carve directions to get them interested. Grin

Back in 85 I did not fully understand the real events behind some of legends. It is an exotic and adventurous country as it is easy to get caught up in the hysteria of it all. Inexperience and a little foolhardiness can get you in a lot of trouble and I have had my fair share Grin. I am truly amazed how much the legend has grown in the last 25 years.

There is an old military saying "Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted" that can be applied treasure hunting. "Research and research some more." Old man time is catching up with me and it is not likely I will be back in the Philippines again.

In researching theses stories I hope to inspire some one to research further into these stories and perhaps eventually find some of the treasures from history that's been posted on this site.

However enough of the reflection and on with the story. In the Hornsville Weekly Tribune 25/7/1890 a story appeared. About how in 1867 a Philippine rebel leader who met an Sea Captain Trader in china and made a deal to recover treasure hidden in an abandoned ruin of a church on the Cagay?n river in Northern Luzon. The story tells of the treasure recovery and their fight with Spanish authorities and their escape back to China. 

This rebel leader came from an old Philippine family of mixed ancestry with Spanish Blood. They were in some respect the middle class of Philippine society of 19th century. It is quite possible that the treasure that was recovered in this story was originally from the bribe money spent by the Spanish to fight the British. Strange as it seems the church that it was buried in was claimed to be of Jesuit origin which fell into ruin after they were expelled from the New world in 1767.

The Map below shows towns and churches in 1720, in some respects for those inclined this is a treasure map because it shows the location of the church where treasure was later recovered from in 1867.

It was from this map and the newspaper description of the location of the recovery, and local knowledge that helped me discover the most likely location of where this treasure was dug up in 1867.

But that's another post for now.

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg91182.html#msg91182

There are 4 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Cagayan_River_1720.jpg
LUZON TREASURE HORNESVILLE WEEKLY TRIBUNE 25 7 1890 P3.jpg
LUZON TREASURE HORNESVILLE WEEKLY TRIBUNE 25 7 1890 PT2.jpg
LUZON TREASURE HORNESVILLE WEEKLY TRIBUNE 25 7 1890.jpg

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 08:42:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

A little history can go a long way to perhaps putting a puzzle together. I stumbled on the Luzon article the other day but didn't think about a possible connection. Now I will have to look more carefully.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg91417.html#msg91417

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 11:36:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Idaho Jones

There maybe or maybe not a connection with the 3 treasure stories? But they all follow a common generic thread. They are all based on events of 1762 upheavals during the British invasion. The British may of left in 1764 but the rot had set in for the Spanish. 1762 marked the decline in Spanish Rule in the Philippines.

The Philippine Spanish who had local control in the parishes mistrusted the central Spanish Colonial government. The British showed the natives that the Spanish were not invincible. After the Jesuits were expelled in 1767 the smaller local native rulers saw that there was no reward for loyalties with Spanish. In the next hundred years there was local uprisings in Northern Luzon.

Much of the mistrust was caused by the fate of some of the missing Philippine treasury between, the Colonial government, the church and local Spanish Philippine rulers.A new middle class of social and civil order was emerging comprised of Filipino's of Spanish ancestry were discovering their rights.

Interesting enough I have found a church that was abandoned in 1767 and has been a ruin since near the river and the royal Spanish road to the interior. A local historian sent me the following photograph of the ruined church where I believe it the the location described in the 1890 article about a treasure recovery in 1867.

The question still remains are the stories connected? I think there could be enough documentary evidence to link some of the stories in the Archives of Manila or Spain. 

However that is some one else who is intrepid enough to follow in my footsteps.

And if they do and are successful then perhaps they will remember old Hardluck  Grin

Hardluck Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg91611.html#msg91611

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Nassiping Church ruins.jpg

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 01:55:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Nice thread Hardluck, keep up the good work. Sounds like there are a few treasures worth having a good look into 0ther than the Japanese rock markers that seem to be all over the place.  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg91620.html#msg91620

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: