[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 02:41:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Mistrust of government and military action seem to be a common factor in large lost treasure stories. Wink Churches are a good place to hide such since fear of angering God might keep some factions from taking it by force. Question is did anyone else happen upon it already?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg91764.html#msg91764

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 07:44:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Idaho Jones

I am toying  and speculating with the idea that some of the earlier treasure legends dating from the events in 1762 event became part of the later treasure Roxas allegedly found in 1971?

Rogelio "Roger" Domingo Roxas (died May 25, 1993) was a former Filipino soldier who had worked as a locksmith before allegedly discovering in a cave north of Manila a hidden chamber full of gold bars and a 3 ft golden Buddha statue. We have the fact there was a legal battle in Hawaii in 1988 against Marcos.

However it is clear that Roxas never fully under stood the origin of the treasure what he found. Rumor and legend blew the real story all out of proportion and we have the shysters, con artists and the silly Yamashita legends we hear today.

Which Roxas estimated to weigh one metric ton, on a plot of state-owned land near Baguio General Hospital, in Baguio City on January 24, 1971.Roxas claimed that the Buddha's head was removable and that it concealed a hollowed-out portion within the statue that contained at least two handfuls of uncut diamonds.Is this the Jewels referred to of Chan lee Suey in 1900?

Interesting enough the Chinese population was bigger than the Spanish population 1752 It would be of no surprise that they perhaps had their own temples in Manila Bindonodo district and elsewhere in 1762.

Baguio City was the Yamashita's capital during the the Japanese occupation of Philippines during World War 2. There is not doubt like most occupying armies looting went on. The Japanese was no different. However not on the scale believed today where is it absurdly claimed 176 or so sites have buried treasure of mind boggling vast proportions.

Interest La union Province was where William Spillman was stationed for a while in 1899. That is right next door to Baguio city. It is quite possible that he and other heard rumors of the treasure hidden by the clergy.Perhaps some of that treasure was what was left of the treasure from Mexico in 1752 and what ever gold Chan lee Suey had with him.

The Treasure I believe Roxas Found was not loot treasure from other Asian countries, but treasure looted from the churches and citizens of the Philippines. The gold bars was all the gold confiscated across the Philippines during the Japanese occupation. Much from ordinary citizens and middle classes gold rings etc..

It was not the Philippine treasury of the American Colonial Occupation pre ww2 as most of that was taken away before submarine and remaining coinage dumped in Manila bay. The underground furnaces in Corrigdor destroyed millions in paper money. The serial numbers were recorded and reported to treasury in the united States.

During the history of the Philippines the Church had much control and influence over the country. The Country in Spanish times had in some respects been run by the Clergy. even when the British invaded in 1762 there was no governor of the Philippines. The role was being caretaker d  by the head of the church.

The Spanish, the Americans all recognized the power and influence of the church. even if the American modernized the country away for the clergy None dared to loot the clergy in all the wars before ww2. The Japanese had no relevance for the Catholic church and would of melted down all the gold that was sized. However there were many Japanese followers of the Buddhist tradition as well as Shintoism that may of saved the statue from being melted down.

I suspect that the the Solid Gold Buddha was from the Chinese community in Manila, Perhaps even part of the treasure from Chan lee Suey 1762 era which eventually came into the hands of the church only to be looted when the Japanese invaded and looted the churches and Monasteries.

Marco's and his cronies was already embezzling the Philippine national gold reserve and this interesting discovered was some thing else for him to plunder. Of course when all of this leaked out rumor and legend created Yamashita myth we read about today.

As funny as this seems the original story in buried under the weight of scam artists. A few years ago I was offered a gold bar allegedly Yamashitas treasure. It was a bar with Cambodian writing on it? Cambodia did not exist as country before ww2. Cambodia was a protectorate of France from 1863 to 1953, administered as part of the colony of French Indochina.  Grin

It is through ignorance and foolishness the Yamashita myth has become a national obsession and pass time for nation of poor people wanting to believe in the legend.

Perhaps an answer will be found if they really understood the history their own history.

Hardluck.  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg91990.html#msg91990

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

800px-Baguio_panorama.jpg
CHINESE BINONDO DISTRICK MANILIA.jpg

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 08:29:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have to wonder though how many huge secret treasures can one region have? I know I know sometimes lots.  Grin

But it does beg the question are they simply the same treasure shuffling about. When you find a treasure how do you go about moving it when you cannot trust the local people or the gov. It would require outside support and even then you are talking mercinaries who may have every intention of taking your treasure for themselves. It's not like today where you could drive a truck there load it up and be gone. It would have required a large force to move it fast and at best in a wagon or wagons. Hmmm. perhaps it's best to just cover it over till you can return with safe help, if you can....

Fun stuff!  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg92007.html#msg92007

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 01:34:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

sort of like the same mines getting lost over and over again in the deserts of the American Southwest (and I assume Australia has similar lost mines)....in other words, 1 real mine could actually be the basis for 2 or more different lost mine legends involving different people at different times.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg92056.html#msg92056

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 02:35:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Exactly BA. I often wonder what I would do if I found such a horde, probably just camp on it guarding it till I starved. Too many storys of people who cant find stuff again  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg92078.html#msg92078

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 12:51:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Idaho Jones"  just fill your pockets, and then make some rock markers... So even if you cant find you way back again there will be some hope for the rest of us.
 I agree with the theory about 1 mine turning into 2 or 3.
 One good treasure can make two or three stories, perhaps even 176 ??
 Keeps it interesting though. HAy Jones,  take a gps with you,  just in case!

If i find a big loot, i mite re hide a small part of it,  make a map/ cryptograme.. put a few rock markers around the place, post it on this site and watch the gold in my pocket full up  lol   Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg92174.html#msg92174

Offline prospectus
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 05:49:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all,

I've talk to my analyzer in regards to spanish treasure here in the Philippines, he said that buried spanish treasure was among the hard to find treasure considering that the so called "guardian" of the object, if it is not meant for you, even you find it and if he don't want to give you, he transfer the object from one place to another, some of them are gold coins found inside the mud made container we call it there "banga".

One of the story is a native from Province of Laguna, a young boy with a golden heart who help his mother to survive in daily lives, find a hole in mango tree, then he peep to the hole and bingo, he saw the "banga" which the guardian gave him, in order to give them a better life, now the family owned a small gasoline station run by their family.

That all.         

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg92186.html#msg92186

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 08:28:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes GB good call and I always have a gps handy. Love that thing. If I ever did find a treasure I'm quite positive I would rehide a bit just because I love this hobby. I've often thought how and where even.  Cool

So Hardluck, do you think Roxas treasure was actually brass or was that just a coverup for the authorities to confiscate it without explanation? Did Roxas and family go into hiding or disappear entirely forever. Does sound a bit suspicious doesn't it? Why would he risk asking for the items back if they were brass, and why would you believe you would get them back if they were gold? catch 22

The reports I read don't mention diamonds, perhaps that went undiscovered or were they rehidden before it was confiscated? That must have come out later than the original reports? A brass/gold budda, 16 bars of brass stamped SMC, a busted .22 rifle and a samarai sword kind of point to two things. Seems like either Roxas found some stashed Japanese loot, or was setting up a yamascam of his own? hmmm

One piece of the stars and stripes report reads "After the raid at Roxas' home all of the items seized were turned over to the Baguio Court except the Buddha, according to Baguio chief of police Victorian Calano. This overweight item was kept by the raiders, whom the chief declined to identify. hmmmmm  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg92205.html#msg92205

Offline prospectus
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 01:29:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello again to all

Hardluck and Idaho, as far as my research is concern, there was a movie for that purpose but some of the facts were not been brought up, there was an American with him when they found the Golden Buddha sitting in the tons of gold, in six and a half (61/2) months, more or less, he ask Roxas what he want, Roxas pointed out and he want the GB, then Roxas bring the one ton GB with him for one and a half month. After he brought up the GB and bring him with to one place to another, my uncle told me that when he brought the GB to Laloma, Quezon City, he is one who lift the GB with six persons together with him. Then, due to lack of proper funds to travel the GB and he told what he got to somebody else, he was monitored by the government, FEM and an officer of the military GV, he was arrested and the GB was confiscated by the government. The GB body is gold and when the head twist, inside of it are jewelries most of them are diamonds worth 1B more or less.

The history of the site where Baguio Hospital seated, the japs were use to build their camp and the hospital where they treated their comrades. The loots were came from asian country probably china and other country who believed in GB. That why if there is a treasure, some of them were minimal and some of them are volume, it depends to the General who administered the diggings.

That's only my opinion backed by the history concerned.     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg92340.html#msg92340

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 05:34:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Prospectus thank you for your input however please be aware that many people had made claims about the events around Roxas. He has become a legend in himself, rightly or wrongly.

Idaho Jones I have based my assumptions on the alleged Roxas discovery based on what was stated in

89 Hawai?i 91, 969 P.2d 1209, 1998 Haw. LEXIS 420 Supreme Court of Hawai?i.

Roger ROXAS and The Golden Buddha Corporation, a foreign corporation, Plaintiffs-Appellees/Cross-Appellants,v.Ferdinand E. MARCOS and Imelda Marcos, Defendants-Appellants/Cross-Appellees.

No. 20606.Nov. 17, 1998. Reconsideration Denied Jan. 28, 1999.

That said much has to be taken with a grain of salt. Many opportunists and publicity seekers, con artists and general vultures all tried to cash in on the potential cash cow. Even Roxas own brother changed his story. One man claimed 176 treasure sites with a silly story of all the loot in Asia ended up in the Philippines is pure hysteria.

One thing stated there is that the gold Buddha came from a local convent? As the claims of a removable head on the Buddha with diamonds. All makes me suspect that this treasure was looted from Churches and the general public of the Philippines.

The trouble we have is the main proponents of the story are dead, Roxas 1993 and Marcos in 1989.

Roxas himself made assumptions that the loot was from Asia which I think he was incorrect. and of course the size always got bigger with the retelling. The unreliability of witnesses is astonishing in both sides of court battles. Lot of evidence is purely hearsay.

If you Google in Roxas versus Marcos it will give the whole sorry story that descends into debacle of claims and counter claims.

That said I cannot see why if Roxas was perpetrating fraud why he would risk his family, his life in tangling with a dictator  and his cronies that would have no problems in putting a bullet into you. If it was all a scam by him why would he pursue the matter of his treasure being stolen risking certain death?

That is why I feel he found some thing that was taken from him by the Marco's regime.  But in all the publicity of the story. Other people and wannabe claims mixed in with the original claims that became the bases for the legends we hear today.

The Yamashita Legend is a classic example on how quickly a treasure legend can be blown out of all proportions.

Hardluck.  :Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10951.msg92366.html#msg92366

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 06:10:34 am by hardluck »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: