[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline mikeK
Silver Member

purrrr
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany
Referrals: 0

2940.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher 1266 and f2
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 09:17:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Luc
Thanks you Sue and Idaho Jones

I just bring a small answer to "MikeK".
Those are really, different marks of stony suit which are found in Europe. You say that those are simply marks yes, but I tried to regroup these different marks in this post to make job easier on possible researches.

I am not the author of these marks, I try to bring my unassuming knowledge to all those whom it can interest.

Free to you "MikeK" to expand those informations.

Amicably
Luke

thats fine luke,all I said was that they are stone masons markings,of which they are my friend,every stone had a marking,when they rebuilt the fraunkirch in dresden,thease markings where a great help,in the reconstruction of this wonderful church,

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9030.msg56780.html#msg56780

Offline LucTopic starter
Silver Member

Live it is a treasure to enrich the spirit
Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher F75, Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 10:03:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by mikeK
thats fine luke,all I said was that they are stone masons markings,of which they are my friend,every stone had a marking,when they rebuilt the fraunkirch in dresden,thease markings where a great help,in the reconstruction of this wonderful church,

Hi MikeK

No problem, affair is closed and I noted well your point of view. Not easy to be always on the wavelength when it is necessary to translate.
Best regards
Luc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9030.msg56783.html#msg56783

Lucky Luc

Offline themason
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 04:02:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

In the medieval times the stone masons used their marks not only to proof how much they produced. In this time a mark was a kind of passport for the travelling craftsmen. As soon as you became a fellocraft the master gave you a mark. These mark fits into a special geometric form like a key. When the fellocraft travelled to another buildingsite in another european country he showed the new master his mark and the master knew where the fellowcraft has done his apprentce time and that he is a real fellowcraft. In this way he was sure that he can hire the new worker on his buildingsite. After the medieval times the mark was used more and more only for the counting of the stones and the former meaning of it was lost. Craftsman used marks since the ancient greeks and the shapes differ from period to period. The most complex geometric shapes were used in the medieval period.
Hope my english was not to bad for you, it`s not my motherlanguage.
greetings from germany !!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9030.msg67900.html#msg67900

Offline LucTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 01:45:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank themason you for your interesting information about the companionship and recognition of signs of masons. Your English is very understanding. If you have additional information or copies of other signs engraved on stone in Germany, do not hesitate to show them.

Yours sincerely

Luke

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9030.msg68012.html#msg68012

Lucky Luc

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 01:53:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Themason, I agree with Luke.  Your English is excellent (much better than my German) and your contribution is both insightful and helpful. 

Looking forward to reading more posts from you.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9030.msg68014.html#msg68014

Offline themason
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany

105.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 02:17:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have found some examples for signs. In the first pictuer are examples for signs during the time, beginning in the ancient aegytian/greek period and ending with marks used by master masons (last line). The second pic shows you some examples of the keys in the gothic period (example signs on the first pic No.66 - following). Each lodge of craftsman had their own key and when a fellow of the craft traveld from one cathedral to the other he showed his sign and the master tried whetehr it fits one of the keys. If it fits he knew from what lodge the fellow had his knowledge.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9030.msg68306.html#msg68306

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Keys.jpg
SIgns.jpg

Offline LucTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 11:31:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Themason
Thank you for such additional information concerning trademarks of masons. This helps to enrich our knowledge on the subject. Thank you again to you and see you soon on this site working again after a problem that has lasted over a week.

Best regards

Luc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9030.msg68399.html#msg68399

Lucky Luc

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 06:31:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

This has been a very interesting subject for me and an education on Mason marks relating from the medieval period onwards. It has become more easy to see how people could mistake these marks as treasure symbols.

Hardluck  Idea

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9030.msg70242.html#msg70242

Offline LucTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 01:57:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Marks fellow masons or builders are in many different places, I opened this topic to draw attention to the fact that it is easy to believe that marking former is always the sign to be decoded to find a treasure. On the other markings are real clues to lead on the trail of discovery. See the website of Ben Hammott (Rennes le Chateau) or in the Verdon, and many other places around the world.

At soon.

Luc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9030.msg70330.html#msg70330

Lucky Luc

Offline LucTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 02:20:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

THE GRAFFITI

It is possible to find graffiti on all surfaces that can be engraved with a hard point (stone, wood, plaster ...).
Their existence depends on the nature of the materials used in construction and will be absent or thin on support too soft.

In a monument, they can be grouped to where the stone is easiest to burn.

In a castle, graffiti is usually found in greater numbers in places where they passed frequently, such as hallways, stairways, parapets, and those where it was stationed as guards rooms , the dungeons, the house (doors, windows, fireplace).
In a religious building, it can be found on the pillars of the nave, the walls of the aisles, doors, siding and exterior wall, easily accessible.
In principle, the graffiti found at the height of a man, standing, sitting or lying, by cons, lapidary signs (marks will try ...) can be anywhere on the monument. By day, it should preferably operate exploration when the sun shines obliquely support graffiti, emphasizing the relief. You can get a much better effect at night or inside a dimly lit monument, walking around a lamp of graffiti, to get different perspectives, in raking light.
In a castle, graffiti is usually found in greater numbers in places where they passed frequently, such as hallways, stairways, parapets, and those where it was stationed as guards rooms , the dungeons, the house (doors, windows, fireplace).
In a religious building, it can be found on the pillars of the nave, the walls of the aisles, doors, siding and exterior wall, easily accessible.
In principle, the graffiti found at the height of a man, standing, sitting or lying, by cons, lapidary signs (marks will try ...) can be anywhere on the monument. By day, it should preferably operate exploration when the sun shines obliquely support graffiti, emphasizing the relief. You can get a much better effect at night or inside a dimly lit monument, walking around a lamp of graffiti, to get different perspectives, in raking light.

Luc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9030.msg147284.html#msg147284

Lucky Luc

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: