[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 04:46:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Another little tidbit from Mr. Block that gave me an idea.

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.texasescapes.com/WTBlock/Last-Voyage-of-the-Hotspur.htm

An exerpt of the above link

Once when Capt. John Marotte and his crew mutinied against the pirate chieftain, Campbell killed Marotte as the latter aimed his pistol at Lafitte. As a reward for his action, Lafitte sent Campbell to Baltimore early in 1819 to supervise the building of a new schooner, which Campbell soon named the Hotspur.

The new privateer was a "hermaphrodite" or topsail schooner, described as having "all wings and no feet." It was square-rigged on the foremast, schooner-rigged on the fore and mainmasts, and it flew a number of jibs and topsails.

The Hotspur mounted six guns, described in Charles Cronea's memoirs as a "long Tom aft, two carronades (short cannons with large bores) on each side, and a bow-chaser on the forecastle. The flag we flew was the Carthegenian colors {revolutionary Republic of Cartegena or Colombia}.

During the fall of 1819, Campbell made two short cruises on the Hotspur and took several Spanish prizes. In Jan., 1820, he loaded the Hotspur with a large cargo of fresh water and provisions, preparatory to a long cruise off the coasts of Tampico and Vera Cruz. He also enlisted into his crew of number of deserters from the French Navy, one of whom was 14-year-old Cronea, the cabin boy, and another was Gustave Duval, who became first mate.

During that last ten-months cruise of the Hotspur, the privateer again captured a number of Spanish prizes. Usually Campbell would remove all valuables, coins and bullion, rum, food, tobacco, and fresh water, before scuttling or burning the prizes. According to Mary Campbell's memoirs, her husband always treated his Spanish captives mercifully and released them ashore when the first land was sighted.

The memoirs of Cronea, the cabin boy, tell much more about that last voyage. He noted:

"Sometimes a Spaniard would show fight, and our gunners would put a round shot into her. Then you should have heard the Spanish yell and holler at us. They always surrendered quickly after that. Many people think we used to cut throats and make those we captured walk the plank, but that is a d----- lie! I never seed (sic) a single man murdered while I was with Campbell....."

Campbell learned from a crewman that his first mate Duval and other Frenchmen planned to murder Campbell and other crewmen, and steal the ship and its load of booty. On the date of the mutiny, the conspirators were on watch before they got drunk on rum. Campbell came on deck, where one Frenchman attacked him with a knife. The captain and others soon quelled the mutiny, killed Duval and the conspirators, but only with the loss of four loyal crew members dead or wounded.

In Nov., 1820, the Hotspur sailed up the Mermentau River in Louisiana to load fresh water, and while docked at Grand Chenier, Cronea, the cabin boy, deserted. While returning to the Gulf of Mexico, the Hotspur became hopelessly grounded on a mudflat.

Campbell and his crew waded ashore, carrying as much food and coins as they could, and they finally made their way back to Galveston aboard a passing sailboat. A month later, they returned to the Mermentau River aboard another privateer, but the wreckage of the Hotspur had disappeared, having apparently broken up or sunk in deeper water.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Could Ben perhaps have found the wreckage of the Hotspur and got his coins from it? Some accounts say he sailed off in a whaleboat to retrieve it. He would have known where to look, and he had the time. Just a thought.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11380.msg76790.html#msg76790

Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 05:06:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I never thought about that Jones. I did at one time think he was getting gold from the wreak on North Deer Island. I got a friend who has researched Lafitte for 20 years who thinks that several of the crew were getting gold off the Tim Toby wreaked on Virginia Point.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11380.msg76800.html#msg76800

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 05:24:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just got to thinking that Galveston isn't that big and a lot of folks have been looking for Lafitte's gold there over the years I am sure. Just speculating if the treasure was underwater he might have swum down and grabbed a coin or two and leave no trace as you would on land. But even if so now the question would be which wreck and where is it?   Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11380.msg76808.html#msg76808

Offline Smokin_Cache
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

970.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 09:04:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom do you know when the last time the rows of cannon was report around the Deer Islands?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11380.msg76942.html#msg76942

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 11:18:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Back in 1964 a fisherman reported seeing them in the Galveston daily news that set off the locals hunting I can remember my dad renting his boat to a lawyer who know right were they were. He offered my dad 35 dollars a day or 5% of the recovery my dad took the 35 bucks a day. In 1974 and 75 there was a group that did a lot of searching in the area I never heard if they found anything. 
Quote:Posted by seldom
I never thought about that Jones. I did at one time think he was getting gold from the wreak on North Deer Island. I got a friend who has researched Lafitte for 20 years who thinks that several of the crew were getting gold off the Tim Toby wreaked on Virginia Point.  

My research shows the name of the ship sunk on Virginia Point as the Tim Toby In Carroll Lewis book Treasures of Galveston Texas he reports it as the Tom Toby. In several news articles from the 1890 it is reported as the Tim Toby but in early accounts it is Tom Toby. Any way it sunk in a storm in Oct. 1837 with a reported $10,000 in gold coins on board. This makes it a little late to be Ben's cache.

Just got to thinking that Galveston isn't that big and a lot of folks have been looking for Lafitte's gold there over the years I am sure.

You would think that there would be more going on but there isn't. One group is working on the USS Hatteras sunk during the Civil War. In fact last time I did any research at the library archives replacing info I lost during IKE a lot of stuff had do been requested since I looked at it in the 70's and 80's. Just goes to show that very little new research is going on. To many people are relying on the internet and not during hard core research to prove facts sad but true.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11380.msg76973.html#msg76973

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 12:41:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom thats sad and exciting at the same time. The internet is a great tool, but it's just one tool. It works great to gather clues on who and what to look for when one hits the books, and maybe a document here or there that might be passed over accidently. Using it exclusively is like having a tool box with just a crescent wrench in it.   Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11380.msg76989.html#msg76989

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 12:51:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Idaho Jones
Seldom thats sad and exciting at the same time. The internet is a great tool, but it's just one tool. It works great to gather clues on who and what to look for when one hits the books, and maybe a document here or there that might be passed over accidently. Using it exclusively is like having a tool box with just a crescent wrench in it.   Grin

Very well said IJ but I wish I had a dime for every time some one has said to me but it says on the internet. But its great for how we research, we have people from all walks of life from several country's working on projects that with out the net this would not be happening 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11380.msg76992.html#msg76992

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 01:03:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Like all tools, it depends upon how you use it and on using the right tool for the right job.   Most of what we do here I would classify as preliminary research, and the internet is great for that---as long as you don't limit yourself to the first one or two sites you come across (especially on controversial subjects)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11380.msg76996.html#msg76996

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 02:08:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom thats exactly what makes this place great, a multitude of people looking at each problem differently can provide some enlightening ideas. I know I can tend towards developing a paradigm on some cases where someone fresh might look past it and see a clue I didn't. Plus info here comes in much more quickly when a big team concentrates on a story!

BA you are spot on. Using the internet to gather all the legends and clues and names is a perfect use. Then subject all that to a serious fact finding mission in the public records. All too often the internet stories are conglomerations of different legends, memories, heresay, and speculation. Proving out each lead with real data is important, otherwise its a leap of faith and your story might get tacked onto the tale of failed treasure seekers...  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11380.msg77004.html#msg77004

Offline Smokin_Cache
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

970.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 02:59:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is a small portion of a article that mentions the "Tom Toby" The article is much longer than what I posted here.

Please Register or Login

http://www.wtblock.com/wtblockjr/texas2.htm

TEXAS HURRICANES OF THE 19TH CENTURY:
KILLER STORMS DEVASTATED COASTLINE
By W. T. Block
Reprinted from Beaumont ENTERPRISE, February 19, 1978, p. 3d.
Sources: "Hurricanes of The Past, Galveston Daily News, August 21, 1886; also Galveston Daily News, Oct. 14-21, 1886, for Sabine Pass and Johnson Bayou, and for the hurricane of Aug. 22, 1879; also hurricane of 1897, which killed 10 people at Port Arthur; and Sept. 8, 1900, which drowned 6,000 at Galveston; and August, 1915, which left 3-6 feet of water on Proctor St. in Port Arthur.

****Throughout the seventeenth century, many Spanish galleons were lost along the Texas barrier reef islands, such as Padre Island, but there are no records readily available of other survivors. Typically, plate ships leaving Tampico, Mexico, followed the gulf coastline around to Havana, Cuba, where the annual plate fleet assembled during the fall months of each year. Perhaps the Spanish Archives still contain a host of secrets about the Gulf hurricanes that have not been revealed locally.

The next record of a West Indian gale in the Gulf of Mexico occurred in 1818 while Galveston Island was still inhabited by the buccaneers. Several pirate ships of Jean Lafitte were then at anchor in the Bay, and four of them, dragging all anchors, were sunk near Virginia Point. A half century later, when a portion of the Texas City jetty was being built, wreckage of some of these old ships was dug up by a dredge boat.

In October, 1837, a huge hurricane lashed the Texas coast from Sabine Pass to Matagorda Bay, but since the coast, including Galveston Island, was still very sparsely settled, the loss of life mostly was limited to ships' crews. The Houston "Telegraph and Texas Register" of October 11, 1837, carried a long column about the destruction.

The only two large buildings on Galveston Island, the McKinney-Williams and Co. warehouse and the Republic of Texas customhouse, were destroyed. (Note: there was no city of Galveston in 1837, its townsite only being in the surveying process in that year.) Velasco and the Brazos River shipping suffered immensely. Offshore, nine schooners and two sailing brigs, plus two frigates of the Texas navy, the "Brutus" and "Tom Toby," were either sunk or driven ashore, and water to a depth of ten feet covered Galveston Island. Early Sabine settlers recalled a freakish incident that resulted from that storm and testified to the immensity of the tidal wave that was driven many miles inland. A three-masted sailing bark, 180 feet long and dragging three anchors, was carried ashore northwest of the Sabine Pass and lay seven miles from the beach. For decades, early citizens of Sabine Pass scavenged the wreck for firewood and for ship timbers to use in house and boat construction.****
More info on Tom Toby

Please Register or Login

http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/exhibits/navy/rhodes_fisher_mar28_1837_1.html

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11380.msg77018.html#msg77018

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: