[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: December 02, 2010, 11:02:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

by John Conway

It was during the time that Federal Prosecutor Thomas E. Dewey was pursuing him on income tax evasion charges that Dutch Schultz decided to take an unusual precaution. He had seen many of his contemporaries put away for various terms in prison, only to come out without a dime and with their former territories taken over by rival thugs, and he was determined to avoid a similar fate. So it was that he ordered his henchmen to gather up the millions he had hoarded over the years and stash it away for the proverbial rainy day. Just what form this cache of wealth took is not clear, nor is the actual amount Schultz was able to scrape together. Some accounts of the story say his nest egg was all in currency, other accounts have it as double-eagle gold pieces, while still others describe it as a combination of cash, gold, and jewels. Likewise, some versions of the story put the value of the stash at $5 million, while other versions claim it was $7 or even $9 million. Whatever the amount, this hoarded loot was supposedly gathered into tobacco sacks and stuffed in either an iron box or steel suitcases and hidden away?buried, if you will?to be claimed at a later date.

It was only upon Schultz's death that the existence of this treasure was made known, and then only under the most incredible of circumstances.

Even after he had been acquitted on the federal tax charges in the Malone trial, Schultz found himself doggedly pursued by Dewey for other crimes. Finally, in 1935, he decided that only Dewey's death would put an end to the pursuit, and he devised a plan to knock the prosecutor off. Before carrying out this daring deed, however, Schultz met with the other top level gangsters on the board of directors of the Syndicate to apprise them of his plan. Luciano and Lansky were astute enough to realize that murdering a man of Dewey's stature would bring down considerable heat on their lucrative operations and cost them millions of dollars, so they persuaded the others to vote against Schultz's proposition. This infuriated the Dutchman, who vowed to carry out the assassination on his own. "I don't need your permission," he angrily announced, and stormed out of the meeting.14 That fit of temper was enough to convince Luciano and Lansky that Schultz was even more unstable than they had initially believed, and coupled with their own desire to take over the Dutchman's profitable rackets, sealed Schultz's fate. The Syndicate would eliminate Schultz and his gang before they could eliminate Dewey.

Because of the relentless heat Dewey had succeeded in bringing to bear on him in the city, Schultz had fled across the river to Newark, New Jersey, where he had set up shop in the Palace Chop House, a working-class tavern and restaurant with a low profile. A team of killers led by Charles "Bug" Workman was dispatched to that location, and on October 23, 1935, a hail of bullets rid the world of Dutch Schultz, Otto Berman, and bodyguards Lulu Rosenkranz and Abe Landau.

Schultz had excused himself from the business meeting in his office just moments before Workman entered the Chop House and was washing his hands when the assassin routinely checked the room for witnesses. Not recognizing Schultz, the Bug let out a burst of machine gun fire at the man at the sink just as a precaution, and proceeded to the office where he quickly and coldly dispatched the others.

Schultz had been hit in the spleen, stomach, colon and liver. He was mortally wounded, but he didn't die right away. Rushed to Newark City Hospital following the massacre, he lingered for nearly 24 hours, and drifted in and out of consciousness. His insides had been destroyed, and the ensuing infection ran his fever up to 106 degrees. The resulting delirium caused a steady stream of chatter, and police stenographer John Long was assigned to write down every word. It wasn't long before the dying words of Dutch Schultz made their way into the newspapers, and everyone in the world soon knew about the existence of the Dutchman's stashed millions.

Although there are a number of slightly different versions of Schultz's dying words, none contain much more than disjointed, incoherent ramblings. One version that is often reproduced begins Oh, mama, mama, mama . . .I am a pretty good pretzler. . .How many shots were fired at me?. . . John, please, did you buy me the hotel for a million?. . .I'll get you the cash out of the box. . .there's enough in it to buy four-five more. . .You can play jacks and girls do that with a soft ball and do tricks with. . .Lulu, drive me back to Phoenicia. . .Don't be a dope Lulu, we better get those Liberty bonds out of the box and cash `em. . .sure it was Danny's mistake to buy `em and I think they can be traced. . .Danny please get me in the car. . .Kindly take my shoes off, they're not off. . .there's handcuffs on `em . . . Wonder who owns these woods?. . .he'll never know what's hidden in `em. . .My gilt-edge stuff and those rats have tuned in. . .What did that guy shoot me for?

Other versions contain additional references such as Please crack down on the Chinaman's friends and Hitler's commander. . .All right, I am sore and I am going up and I am going to give you honey if I can. . .Look out. . .We broke that up. . .Mother is the best bet and don't let Satan draw you too fast . . .

Soon, there were as many versions of the legend of the buried treasure as there were stories of the Dutchman himself. Most of them involved Phoenicia, and many referenced a map, supposedly sketched by Lulu Rosenkranz lest the location of the burial site be forgotten by the city slickers still strangers to the trees and rocks and streams of the upstate country.

Several versions of the treasure tale place the location of the burial ground somewhere along Route 28 between the roadway and the Esopus Creek. Some place it along the railroad tracks leading into Phoenicia. One of the most popular stories is that Schultz and Lulu Rosenkranz carried a steel safe containing the loot to Phoenicia on an April night in 1933 and buried it in a grove of pine trees near the Esopus, with the obligatory "X" marking the specific tree under which the digging was done.

A more elaborate version of the events surrounding the hiding of the loot was revealed nearly 50 years ago by an old-timer-?he was over 80 years old at the time?-who claimed to have first-hand knowledge of the day Schultz and his men found a home for their millions.

This account has the treasure being buried the very afternoon Schultz and his gang were ambushed at the Palace Chop House. According to this tale, Dutch and one of his men, probably Rosenkranz, stopped for lunch at the Phoenicia Hotel, in the center of town. They left around one o'clock, got in a car, and drove a half a block, where they made a right hand turn onto Route 214. They proceeded north along the Stony Clove Creek for about eight miles, and stashed the money beneath the skull-shaped rock formation known as the Devil's Face. The two men were back in Phoenicia by three o'clock that afternoon, and returned to Newark for their fateful rendezvous with Bug Workman that evening.

Schultz's deathbed ramblings did make a reference or two to Satan, so the connection to the Devil's Face formation is a logical one, though it would seem more likely that the landmark Schultz would have used is the large rock known as the Devil's Tombstone, which is closer to town, and considerably more accessible than the 150-foot high rock skull. These were city boys, after all.

The late Mickey Simpson, a Phoenicia old-timer who remembered Schultz as well as anyone, had his own theory about the treasure. Sure, he said in 1991, Schultz might have buried his loot by the Esopus Creek, but if he did it was long gone. The Phoenicia area had suffered a number of serious floods over the years, he said, and surely even an iron box couldn't have survived them all. "Personally, I wouldn't step off this porch for it," Simpson said. "It's probably somewhere at the bottom of the Ashokan Reservoir."

Locals also like to tell stories of the elderly man who used to walk from place to place along the railroad tracks digging holes. When asked what he was digging for, he would say simply, "Dutch Schultz's buried treasure." The railroad finally made him stop; he was destroying their ballast.

A Phoenicia motel operator used to allow treasure hunters to dig on his property, but first asked them to sign a legal document promising him a split of whatever they found there. He abruptly stopped the practice when a particularly resourceful treasure hunter showed up with a backhoe, dug dozens of holes, and disappeared without filling them back in.

Early in summer 2000, Fox Cable came to Phoenicia to film a segment for its new series "Million-Dollar Mysteries" on the lost treasure of Prohibition gangster Dutch Schultz. It is one of the region's and America's most enduring treasure tales, and for more than 60 years people have searched for the millions Schultz was said to have hoarded and buried in or near this central Catskills' hamlet.

This time Fox invited Sullivan County Historian and Catskills' gangster expert John Conway to narrate the story of how Schultz, shortly after he returned from a trip to Phoenicia in 1935, was gunned down in the Palace Chop House in Newark. Schultz lingered for nearly 24 hours in the hospital, a police stenographer always by his side. There the dying and delirious Schultz, who was once considered to be the most powerful gangster in America, made cryptic references to Phoenicia and his loot: "Wonder who owns these woods?. . .He'll never know what's buried in ?em."

The Fox Cable filming came at an opportune moment for Conway. His new treatment of Dutch Schultz and his lost treasure was just published by Purple Mountain Press.

The plain-speaking Schultz was closed-mouthed about two things: his early years and his wealth. He was born Arthur Flegenheimer in Manhattan in 1902 and moved to the Bronx with his parents at an early age. He dropped out of school by sixth grade to devote himself to gang activities. Sometime during his youth he adopted the name Dutch Schultz. "If I had kept the name Flegenheimer, nobody would have heard of me," he was once quoted as saying. He was sentenced to the only prison term he would ever serve in 1919: 15 months.

Prohibition was tailor-made for gangsters like Schultz, but he was very different from his contemporaries in the illicit booze business. He wasn't less ruthless, but he was much more frugal. His arch-rival Jack "Legs" Diamond dressed flashy and tipped lavishly, as did many of the other gangsters. Not Schultz. He was tight with every dollar except where bribery was concerned. So what happened to all of his money? It was not found following his death.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19703.msg129455.html#msg129455

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 04:17:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Thank you Seldom for the story. It is an intriguing story and nicely told.

Personally I have no strong opinion on the subject but I think it would be an excellent group research project. As there should a large amount of information available such as records, old newspapers books etc.. Perhaps we can find some thing interesting?

Another Job for the wrecking crew :Smiley as well as anyone else willing to contribute to an online information treasure hunt for Dutch Schultz hidden loot.

Who knows maybe we will find some forgotten clues?

Anyone up for the challenge?

Hardluck.  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19703.msg129588.html#msg129588

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 09:43:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Another Job for the wrecking crew :Smiley as well as anyone else willing to contribute to an online information treasure hunt for Dutch Schultz hidden loot.

The Wrecking Crew  Rulers LOL

Well we know Dutch had some deep pockets but did hid any of it? And if he did what stopped his men from recovering it after his death?

Right now I do think he hid a cache but don't think it was anywhere a million bucks. After reading 100's of biography's  of outlaws and gangsters over the years I have came to believe that most gangsters  hid small caches around their area of operation. Get away money just in case.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19703.msg129622.html#msg129622

Offline Luc
Silver Member

Live it is a treasure to enrich the spirit
Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher F75, Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 12:20:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey seldom

Thanks for this interresting post.

Kind regards

Luc

{alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19703.msg129768.html#msg129768
http://mitchellarchives.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/dutch-schultz-article.jpg

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Dutch Schultz .jpg
dutch-schultz5_web.jpg
dutch-schultz_web.jpg

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 12:25:53 am by Luc »

Lucky Luc

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 03:55:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Well done Luc. Thanks for the New york Times article and pictures. It is always interesting to see a picture of person researching.

The is some interesting claims about Dutch.

Shortly before his death, fearing that he would be incarcerated as a result of Dewey's efforts, Schultz commissioned the construction of a special airtight, waterproof safe, into which he placed $7 million in cash and bonds. Schultz and Rosencrantz then drove the safe to an undisclosed location somewhere in upstate New York and buried it.

At the time of his death, the safe was still interred; as no evidence existed to indicate that either Schultz or Rosencrantz had ever revealed the location of the safe to anyone, the exact place where the safe was buried died with both men. Gangland lore held that Schultz's enemies ? including Lucky Luciano ? spent the remainder of their lives searching for the safe. The safe has never been recovered.

Perhaps we need to look at the life of Lucky Luciano. Did he really find it in secret?

After Schultz's death, it was discovered that he and his wife had never gone through an official marriage ceremony and the possible existence of another wife emerged with the discovery of letters and pictures of another woman and children among his effects at the hotel he was staying at in Newark. This was never resolved as his common law wife refused to talk about it and the mystery woman never came forward. Two other women also called at the morgue to receive his effects, but their identities were never established. Though estimated to be worth $7 million when he died, no trace of his income was ever found.

Now I wonder who was this mystery woman?

So we have our first two leads. This mystery Women and lucky Luciano. Perhaps we need to find out how Lucky Luciano was connected to Dutch and maybe find a possible identity of this mystery women?

Any Ideas

hardluck  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19703.msg129778.html#msg129778

Offline Luc
Silver Member

Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher F75, Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 04:33:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey HardLuck

Thanks for your comments, I find this link on internet and it look very interresting too.

Link---->

Please Register or Login

Dutch Schultz: Beer Baron...

All the best

Luc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19703.msg129783.html#msg129783

Lucky Luc

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 10:50:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

I think we can leave Lucky out of it. He went to jail in 1936 and on his release in 46 was deported to Italy. Where he died broke.

Posted on: December 04, 2010, 09:12:33 AM
Quote:Posted by hardluck
Now I wonder who was this mystery woman?

She is worth looking into, I don't think that a bad a$$ gangster is going to share a lot of info with a mistress but who knows

Posted on: December 04, 2010, 10:24:32 AM
Father McInerney, the priest Schultz had sent for, stayed with the family much of the time. While it was never quite clear how the Dutchman had come to know the cleric, it is possible that they had met in the Hudson County Jail when Schultz was tossed in there after his surrender on the tax warrant. That institution happened to be on the McInerney rounds as a chaplain. Schultz, with his flair for liberal postures, said only that he had come to know and admire Father McInerney after learning that he had set up his parish in Livingston at a time when Ku Klux Klan elements supposedly were making that New Jersey town a little uncomfortable for Catholics.

We might want to look into to Father McInerney also

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19703.msg129820.html#msg129820

Offline halfdollor
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

520.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

WHITES MXT PRO
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 10:39:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Wise my thoughts on the dutch man and other outlaws is like seldom and hardluck i sure thay hid money around in cars,offices,whore houses,gambling halls,any place thay would have hung out to keep from carring a lot of cash, most of them would carry around a few thousand dollors maybe less the big reason for hiding  the money or carry it was as you two said was a get away money or for tips for the ladies thank about it thay only went place thay felt safe 99% of the time so what thay won't was free because thay eather own the place or people was scard to ask for money or thay just took it, the money was just to flash around or lone a friend maybe if thay were on to way to the race track, the only one i know for sure that hid millions was the hourseshoe guy terry benion and the one that help him hid it was the one that kill him so the story goes, the way i see it if you have the law in your pocket as thay did in the 20's 30's 40' and other people stay way away from them then why hide a big sum of money in the woods where you can not keep a eye on it ( but as i said just my thoughts)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19703.msg131321.html#msg131321

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 03:17:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Halfdollar

Not the people you want to get on the wrong side of and if there was money in the equation then it could be a fatal encounter with Dutch.

Here is an alleged map of the site by a dedicated Dutch Schultz hunter who claimed he never found anything after several years of searching. The map is not by Dutch but created by the researcher. It was based on one version of accounts of a woman called Lulu who was allegedly driving the car. When Dutch and his Body guard went out into the Forrest.

The Boicevil Inn is still in existence today.How or if there is any real connection is a matter of debate.

How accurate or what intentions of researcher to publish them are open for speculation. But perhaps if there ever was any money buried there that some one may of already recovered it a long time ago.

Perhaps we need to look at another underworld figure who died in 1965. Who was allegedly broke but had 3 million dollars unaccounted for  Huh?

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19703.msg132328.html#msg132328

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

map.jpg
map1.jpg

Offline Luc
Silver Member