[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 11:43:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

The Treasure of Genghis Khan
Now thats a cool story,
Question as i know little about Genghis Khan , but was he not the one with the terracota warriors and the burial mound with the mercury river ?? or am i off track here??
Thanks

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19537.msg134617.html#msg134617

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline cascaTopic starter
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 11:58:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Its a cowboy story for sure, I hear they lived on thier horses, and were bow legged. That they were tricked into fighting off thier horses by chasing a small party through the a valley, and then ambushed by modern troops. Condemed prisoners were used to set of a line of spears to kill the horses and riders before the main battle.

Also believe he conquered rome one of the many times it was conquered. But Im waiting for the scripts I read to arrive.

I know the author is dead. The publisher may still be alive, and I didn't stay in touch. Will get back with you when I hear something.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19537.msg134630.html#msg134630

« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:10:28 pm by casca »

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 12:13:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by kberndt
Question as i know little about Genghis Khan , but was he not the one with the terracota warriors and the burial mound with the mercury river ?? or am i off track here??

The Terra Cotta Army belongs to Qin Shi Huang, the first emperor of China nearly 1500 years before Genghis Khan walked the earth.   The mercury lake has still not been found, although it is also rumored to be part of the Qin Shi Huang complex.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19537.msg134631.html#msg134631

Offline wuzneme
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

1370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 05:53:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hi,
would gengis khan not have been subject to a sky burial?

like those shown in tibet aswell as mongolia.

The belief of all creatures need to survive hence his body being used to feed the wild animals around the area, cycle of nature (for want of better phrasing)
That and that the ground is to hard to do any burials?

Posted on: April 04, 2012, 05:30:22 PM
Perhaps this best explains it , although it`s a tibetan version shown here

Please Register or Login

Tibetan Sky Burial

wuzneme

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19537.msg218916.html#msg218916

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 07:20:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

wuzneme, while your suggestion is possible, most of the evidence seems to point to an actual burial in an unmarked grave/tomb.   Genghis Khan was religiously tolerant and consulted Buddhists, Moslems, Christians, etc, but seems to have been personally shamanistic following the pre-buddhist traditions of his tribe.   Those supposedly would have included an unmarked grave for rulers.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19537.msg218923.html#msg218923

Offline wuzneme
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

1370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 03:33:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi BitburgAggie_7377

I merely questioned the sky burial due to a piece written in seldom`s post (reply 1) refering to various sources.

"Alton Tobchi" the suggestion of only his shirt, boots and tent only being buried? why? where`s the logic for that? hence sky burial notion.

wuzneme

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19537.msg218997.html#msg218997

Offline Renegade7
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1070.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter  Qwik Draw II
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 04:06:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Man Lemme tell ya after spending time in Djibouti for 18 Months that is one area I would NOT want to search. I would love to go to South Africa..most stable region. Eithiopia would be cool too but Bandits are a real nuisence. Paying the Army or local Police would cost a mint for security, but they do do a good job when paid well.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19537.msg219012.html#msg219012

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 07:20:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Here is a little more on Mongolian burial practices pre 1930's

open-air burial or "casting-out" burial is a very ancient custom among the nomads of Asia; it was already in use, several centuries before our era. This is what we know from Cicero and other old writers. This is a quote from Henning Haslund's book Mongolian Journey.

Apart from the open-air burial there were other funeral practices in Mongolia like cremation, embalming and the "water-burial", another form of open-air burial.

Choosing one of these funeral practices depended primarily on social standing, the cause of death and geographical location.

Mainly people known as "Reincarnations of Buddha" and other dignitaries of the Lamaistic Church were embalmed. Such bodies were normally buried in coffins in a sitting position as if in prayer.

Nobles were also buried in coffins, but unlike Lamaistic dignitaries, these coffins were buried with additions like weapons, horses, food and other things, which were meant to help them in the next world - in Erlik-Khans kingdom. Erlik-Khan is the god of death. The location of a nobleman's tomb was kept secret, to ensure that they rested in peace.

When people died from infectious diseases, they were cremated to reduce the danger of an epidemic.

Sometimes the corpses of Lamas were also cremated to allow their spirit to rise directly to heaven without any desecration of the spirit. This is because Mongolian people believe that fire cleanses everything.

Mongolians have different customs to bury children under the age of 3, because their souls were regarded to be innocent and pure.

Mongolian Nobles were buried.

Renegade7

Funny you should speak of Ethiopia?

My father fought there in the 1950's training the hill tribes for two years. He told me about many amazing places and he said it was the most intense time in his life. Years later in mid 1990's I went there and brought some of his ashes back there to a village near the rift valley. The security detail we had was very good well armed. Travelled to the frontier betweeen Ethiopia and Eritrea. Biggest danger there is landmines.

Some amazing fact Ethiopia is the old christian country. a long history of Kings and Queens of Gondor of ancient castles rock cut churches.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19537.msg219237.html#msg219237

Offline Renegade7
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1070.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter  Qwik Draw II
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 09:07:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hard I agree the landmines are real humdinger. The french and italians and british have done a real good job of removein a lot of them. I have seen some of these places you speak of during my tour of duty and was awe struck with their complexity of design.

Harrar is supposed to be the 3rd holiest site to both christians and muslims both. Sucked driveing thru there when all the pigramages were going thru and to there. Gold is a big comodoty there. I brought back a real nice necklace for my wife for next to nothing.

Their Army looks rag tag but do not under estimate them, they are some very ferrel fighters. I am glad your Dad established a relationship there. If you help them honorably they will take care of you like a king. Very good hearted people. The Eritrean Border still sucks. all kinds of skirmishes going on daily....same as with the SOmalian border. Couple of time we thought we were going to have to engage them...glad we never did.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19537.msg219248.html#msg219248

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 12:44:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Renegade7

Yeah pretty much a rag tag army. but masters of hit and run warefare, they had plenty of practice. 17 year civil war and several others and yet the country has enormous wealth. Mining companies could not wait to sent out exploration teams after the fall of the communist regime.

Tana huk is a huge lake high up in the mountains sometimes called lake Tana. There is ancient monestaries on islands on lake Tana. Some legends claim treasures from Solomon are hidden on one of the islands. Gee I could post a interesting treasure legend conected to Ethiopia. But thats for another post.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19537.msg219283.html#msg219283

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: