[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline steve660
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 03:26:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The newspaper clip seems quite garbled.  As for the gold, I have copied the relevant paragraph from my book here:

"While the miners were busy at Alva, Sir John was having his own fair share of excitement.  Repeated attempts to procure arms for the rebels met with obstructions and difficulties but he did manage to take charge of a valuable consignment of Spanish gold.  Queen Mary, mother of the Pretender James, had received, according to various accounts, 100,000 ducats or 200,000 crowns worth of gold ingots from Philip V of Spain to assist the rebels.  Sir John, together with Lord Tynemouth and Francis Bulkeley was to convey this gold to Scotland where it was to be handed over to King James.  Their ship set sail from Calais late in December and soon encountered stormy weather.  Early in January 1716, it was driven onto a sandbank off St. Andrews and smashed to pieces.  Sir John and the crew survived but the treasure was lost.  They lingered for a few days hoping to salvage something at low tide but had to give up."

In the references and notes for this section I add:

"The rebels tried to keep the affair of the gold secret but without success for the Hanoverian forces soon found the wreck and spent sometime on it “fishing for gold”.  Tayler, A. and Tayler, H. 1936.  “1715: the story of the rising”.  Thomas Nelson and Sons Ltd., London, p. 144-145.
For further details and references see also Smith, L. B. “Spain and the Jacobites, 1715-16” in Cruikshanks, E. (ed.) 1982.  “Ideology and Conspiracy: Aspects of Jacobitism, 1689-1759”.  John Donald Publishers Ltd. Edinburgh, p. 168, 176, and Miller, P. 1971.  “James”.  George Allen & Unwin Ltd., London, p. 195, 200, although the latter wrongly places the wreck at Dundee."

From what I understand of the sands at St Andrews (cause of many a wreck) salvage at low tide should have been possible even then, so it is likely the gold was all retrieved.  But it only takes one box of ingots to have been smashed and scattered about, and those ingots will have swiftly disappeared into the sand.  So you never know!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38878.msg251424.html#msg251424

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 03:39:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by steve660
But it only takes one box of ingots to have been smashed and scattered about, and those ingots will have swiftly disappeared into the sand.  So you never know!

And one could very well have broken meaning that there could be some god in quite a wide area, if the sea was as ruff as I imagine it to have been.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38878.msg251512.html#msg251512

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 06:28:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by xavier
meaning that there could be some god in quite a wide area
   I do believe that is what is known as a Freudian slip.   We know what you have on your mind, X.   Grin

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38878.msg251529.html#msg251529

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 02:44:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
I do believe that is what is known as a Freudian slip.   We know what you have on your mind, X.   Grin

BA

Grin Grin Grin No comment

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38878.msg251582.html#msg251582

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: