[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline foolsgoldTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: July 26, 2011, 05:05:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i have read my share of "treasure tales" and all, from all the famous authors

one in particular brought this up, about one man running off with a treasure, after killing off the previous owners, only later to be killed by indians, and treasure left behind. 

how in the world could the author know all the details of riding to a certain point, number of attackers, etc...

seems like that just makes it a tall tale right away to me...

any of yall lend any legitimacy to a story like that?  it would be different if there were multiple people involved, that lived to a certain point to give an account, but in some there are no such survivors!

thanks

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26722.msg188232.html#msg188232

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
71%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:16:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by foolsgold
i have read my share of "treasure tales" and all, from all the famous authors

one in particular brought this up, about one man running off with a treasure, after killing off the previous owners, only later to be killed by indians, and treasure left behind. 

how in the world could the author know all the details of riding to a certain point, number of attackers, etc...

seems like that just makes it a tall tale right away to me...

any of yall lend any legitimacy to a story like that?  it would be different if there were multiple people involved, that lived to a certain point to give an account, but in some there are no such survivors!

thanks

The author must have received his information from a Ouija board or taken a shamanistic journey through space and time unless he can commune with rocks.

On a more serious note, he could have gussied it up a bit to make it more "exciting" and salable,  but if so I'd really have to question his integrity and accuracy on the important details.   I rather doubt if they would stand up to much scrutiny.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26722.msg188233.html#msg188233

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:46:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Foolsgold good to to see you. BA makes a good case with "gussied it up a bit to make it more exciting and salable" and that is a lot of it.
In my opinion some of the early writers took many liberties with the facts and the later ones just made stuff up in many case's. You can trace many stories back to Dobie,Bartholomew,Penfield and several others who were collectors of legends, and they wrote what they were told thru interviews with folks often relaying info that was handed down for 4 or more generations.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26722.msg188238.html#msg188238

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:31:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

thank you sir, good to be seen!
glad to hear yalls responses, im pretty much thinking the same thing, some are just made up, some are embellished a little to make for a better story, whether intentional, or due to the word of mouth thing.

hopefully this is in the right place, i havent done a lot of research on the writers, ie, Dobie, Jameson, Penfield, etc..., but as stated before, have read a large pile of their writings.
any of these guys or others that you guys prefer? or any of them have a rep as a senile old man or anything like that?
dont wanna start a bash thread on anyone, would just like to know who might have the most reliable or accurate stories.

thanks again

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26722.msg188294.html#msg188294

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:45:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well here is my take on some of the early writers.

Dobie was a collector of stories and legends and in my opinion not a big fact checker. But as far as the southwest goes he was the first one to record many of the legends we read today, and many writers have copied and printed his work 100's of times over the last 70+ years

Leland Lovelace was a lady that published a collection  called Lost Mines and Hidden Treasure. I have not looked thru the book in years but if memory serves it was just a collection of other peoples work with no new research.

Thomas Penfield was a researcher that used common sense and logic in his book Dig Here. He told 80 or so treasure stories many never in print before and he researched all to a point that he could make an educated guess if they were true are not.

Ed Bartholomew was a treasure hunter that like KvM was also a writer. He rehashed many old legends and in some case just changed names and places to start new legends.

KvM the Godfather of modern Treasure hunting what can you say? He was not a story teller but a teacher.

I will not commit on the writers of today individually for several reasons but as a whole in my opinion they just rework many old legends and stories from others, add a zero or two. I have read stories in the mag's that are the same story published 6 months before with just the names and places changed.

As I have said many times out of the 100's of books in my treasure library a very small percent have the word treasure in the title. The treasure books being published today are for entertainment not for research. I do enjoy tracing some of the legends back thru the different writers and find in most cases no new info has been add since the first telling 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26722.msg188305.html#msg188305

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 10:59:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

seldom, thanks a ton!
good to hear another perspective on these guys.
i know the treasure 'legends' are a lot of times just that, but enjoy looking into them either way, in a large part (like you and others will say) because in researching those, you will find new leads for other stories.

i would agree that most of the later writers are just re-working earlier accounts, and always try to start at the origination point myself.
seems like there is an original group of stories, that are just continually re-published under different writers, and like you said as well, having different facts or info in them.

thanks again

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26722.msg188608.html#msg188608

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
71%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 03:26:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I enjoy reading Dobie just for the reading.   When he turns up something that's workable, I view that as a bonus.  I do like him for getting a feel of the area and the people and what is and is not likely.
     Penfield is fun to read, but given where his tales are generally published, I look at them mostly as ways to sharpen one's skills....if I ever actually find the subject of one of his stories, someone might have to pick me up off the ground given how many people are looking for most of the stuff he's written about.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26722.msg188668.html#msg188668

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 04:51:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you BA, always appreciate the input from yall both, as you guys seem to be well grounded. there are those you pay special attention to their words on here, and id have to say your both up there!  (yes, even when talking about treasure marks, the kgc, and such!!)

thanks again for the input

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26722.msg188694.html#msg188694

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you293

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 01:06:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Foolsgold, as a writer (not a famous one) I thoroughly agree with your skepticism about some of the details in most of the so called "treasure legend stories."  Too much detail that nobody was there to witness.  I guess the authors wanted to dress them up a little.  Mostly what I have written is metal detecting stories and experiences, and local stories and legends that I did personal research on.  I've seen some of my stories written up in listings of Oregon treasures with details I know not to be true - don't know where the writers came up with details that just do not exist!

As far as the famous writers, BA and Seldom seem to have covered them very well -  not much left to say after what they have said!   Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26722.msg188790.html#msg188790

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 10:08:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by ArfieBoy
I know not to be true - don't know where the writers came up with details that just do not exist!

I have noticed this is becoming common in the treasure literature of today its sad but true. It seems that there are no new stories so the writers just make up new info on the Dutchman or Oak Island sell the article and we know what happens then. Every hardcore researcher/treasure hunter has dozens if not 100's of legends and stories that have never been published. I for one will not publish a lead till I have researched it to the end and see no chance for me to recover it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26722.msg188883.html#msg188883

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: