[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline foolsgoldTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 04:36:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

so the bottom line is a basic, go back as far as you can, to the most original source....glad im smart enough to be doing that anyway!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26722.msg189188.html#msg189188

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 04:46:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by foolsgold
so the bottom line is a basic, go back as far as you can, to the most original source....glad im smart enough to be doing that anyway!

That's about it. Apply a bit of logic and reasoning to every treasure tale. Think about how heavy it would be to transport 20 bars of gold, for example. If the treasure is in an area that is accessible by foot only, that would knock it on the head for me. By wagon? Perhaps, but moving them from the wagon to the site is the next issue. Any witnesses? If so, they may have gone and recovered any bonafide treasure buried there.

The other side of things is to always keep an "open ear" for what can only be described as real hidden treasure. For example, reading in a Depression era journal, you see where the family bought something expensive. You can assume that they came into some cash. The mindset of Depression era families was always to put a little aside somewhere for emergencies. Hundreds of mini caches have been found this way.

Your instincts are almost always right when it comes to treasure. Surprisingly so. Let's say you are hot on the trail of a good lead and you come to a fork in the road that wasn't there when the treasure was lain into its hiding place. The lay of the land and your own instincts regarding travel in the day will eliminate the side that looks like 4WD country only because wagons didn't have that capability. Horseback or pack animals, perhaps, but big treasure always required wheeled transport.

Just use your noggin for something aside from making girls smile and you'll become a treasure hunter. And never forget that failure is still a learning opportunity. In about half of my quests, I have found evidence that I was too late and someone else had found what I was seeking. In the half that remain, I sometimes find I have chased a will-o-the-wisp or a nonexistent treasure. For the remaining leads, sometimes they are just too well hidden.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26722.msg189194.html#msg189194

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 05:57:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I always figure every treasure story has some errors or fabrications in it or someone would have found it already. If you can't find a few solid facts or names to fit the time of the story you could be looking in the wrong town, county, state, or even country...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26722.msg189673.html#msg189673

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 09:48:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Idaho Jones
I always figure every treasure story has some errors or fabrications in it or someone would have found it already. If you can't find a few solid facts or names to fit the time of the story you could be looking in the wrong town, county, state, or even country...

I think its more common the we realize that the same story gets told over and over with location changed to make it seem more real or closer to home.

As for the big legendary treasures other then the fun of researching them they are a waste of time in my opinion. If you want to be a successful treasure hunter you will need to find new lead from local stories, old diary's   stories that few if anyone else knows about

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26722.msg189837.html#msg189837

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: