[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline fredioTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:22:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi everyone , I did post a topic about this a few days ago , and lost it in the system. I should have bookmarked it.
 To me this is one treasure that is very real and waiting for someone to recover it. The facts are well recorded in many historical documents, I believe the actual lists specifying each individual item that was part of King Johns baggage train are available (in Latin).
  People who think they are experts quote the depth the treasure would have sunk into the marshland as about 20 meters. I think it's more like three meters and with to days technology, earth penetrating radar etc. it would not be too difficult to recover.
    Estimates as to the value, I have read figures from 20million... up to 50 million. Other experts say its invaluable, on a 'par' with the treasure of King Tut.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20662.msg136993.html#msg136993

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:35:22 pm by fredio »
Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:51:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Fredio

Here is a link to a previous posting.

Please Register or Login

King Johns treasure the Wash

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20662.msg137018.html#msg137018

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 06:08:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry Hardluck , The caption 'internet canot display the web-page' comes up.
  For what ever reason I can't access the page and being such a good subject I would have thought more people would be interested.
  Embarrassed Cry

Posted on: January 12, 2011, 05:58:00 AM
Hi Hardluck, I have found the last posting on King Johns Treasure ... but it states 'because there has been more than 120 days without a post, consider a new post'.
  fredio. Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20662.msg137101.html#msg137101

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:34:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Fredio

I cannot even find that thread myself now. Angry

However I have a few bits and pieces you welcome to have on the topic.

There is a few different theories on the fate of the treasure. Some claim the treasure was not lost in the wash at all but the baggage train.

However the 3 main theories pertaining to the location of king johns jewels JC Holt theory and St John Hopes theory and Gordon Fowler's theory. All vary along a ten mile stretch of the river Nene.

The trouble is land reclamation over the centuries have drastically altered the landscape.The following map gives an approximate suspected location of each theory.

However to get to the bottom of this legend we really have to source the primary documents logging the last days of king johns movements.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20662.msg137107.html#msg137107

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

THE ADVERTISER SAT 7 JULY 1906 KING JOHNS JEWELS.jpg
map of king Johns lost baggage train theories.jpg

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 06:58:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Hardluck,  I know quite a lot about this subject , I believe I know the location of the loss , within ten square metres. I am fishing to see if anyone  else is on the trail.
 I have studied John for years and I feel as if Ihad known him personaly, a clever King , not the John Lackland the history books would have us believe.
 I am retired now, if I were a few years younger I may have been tempted to retrieve it, but the Queen has the first claim as the direct descendant, not a lot in it for me.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20662.msg137111.html#msg137111

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 07:34:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Fredio

Thank you for the interesting post.

Its late So I will keep the post short if that is possible for me. I have never researched the story to a great depth, I have never read the Munster rolls that mentions the event. It is only a passing casual interest for me.Personally I think it was a too large of a area to search. I have other projects that are more pressing. However all treasure stories are interesting to me.

I assume you are aware of another researcher who claimed that King Johns treasure was not lost in the wash at all?

Hardluck

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20662.msg137114.html#msg137114

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:31:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes Hardluck, I read that post by Allan Hassal who seemed to go off on a tangent and took the topic down an avenue that had nothing to do with King John, then finished up stating the Venerable Bede never left his Jarrow 'bolthole'.
  I dispute that, I use ' The Historical Works of the Venerable Beda', (translated from the original Latin), a book (1853) pre-owned by James Banks, M.A. of Lincolnshire for most of my research into post-Roman historical facts. Beda must have traveled all over the Kingdom of Northumbria and further afield  to reseach the documents needed to write his works.
  So, there is surely more interesting aspects to King Johns Treasure that has not been discused. You must admit Hardluc, it makes good reading.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20662.msg137120.html#msg137120

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 03:40:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Fredio

I would not dwell too much on the comments of Allan. However some historians do believe that Venerable Beda did not travel very far from the place where he lived. The place where he lived was at the cross roads of a major trading routes in its day. He would of had been in contact with travelers and traders from all over the place. Most historians generally believe his work to fairly accurate regardless of if he traveled or not.

And yes there is more to the story. King John has been condemned by some historians as an inept weak ruler. To be fair he inherited a kingdom neglected by Richard Lion heart allowing control to an self serving body of clerics and barons. King John had to wrangle power back off them and of course they were not wanting to release power. And the Papacy just about openly encouraged King Johns removal.

Allan I notice in another Forum claimed that there was a Papal conspiracy to assassinate King John? Strange enough a well known Vatican apologist was on his case like a bee to honey. Was there any truth to his claim it is hard to tell as he is a very emotion type of person and becomes very offended if challenged on his conclusions.

The person I alluded to was not Allan, but an researcher who searched for the treasure in 1937. He was the Rev O R Plant who allegedly found ancient documents. He claimed that Rockingham Castle was once King Johns hunting Lodge. While he believed that the royal Baggage train was lost on the Well stream. He claimed that the treasure was hidden in secret chambers under the castle before the loss of the baggage train.

Did he make some interesting discoveries or was he an eccentric? There was no follow up newspaper story about his search so we can assume he was unsuccessful in his search.

However I still would be interested to see if there the alleged documents he found can be traced?

Oh and a few more bits and pieces.

In a book called England delineated, or, A geographical description of every county ... - Page 205 by John Aikin - dated 1790

There is mention of the event.

The great arm of the sea, called the Wash, or Washes, is passable at low water ; but not without some danger from quicksands, as was fatally experienced by King John, who, in the Baron's wars, here lost all his carriages and camp

What it does not mention is any treasure or king John personnel wealth being lost?

Strange enough in another book A description of England and Wales: Containing a particular account of each Page 288 dated 1769

The Washes of this country have been much talked of and are terrible to strangers, though no dangers is to be apprehended from them, if they have the prudence to take a guide, a precaution that is highly necessary. They are situated at the mouth of the river Welland called Fossdyke wash and that of the river Ouse called Cross keys wash. Twice every 24 hours at six hours at a time during the recesses of the tide they are covered with the flux of the ocean which forms a kind of a bay.

Formerly people traveled over what was called the Long-wash, between Lynn- and Boston, entirely upon the fands or skirts of the ocean ; but this is now quite impracticable. Here king John Lost all his carriages among the creeks and quicksands.The memory which is preserved by the corner between Cross Keys and Wash and Lynn, being called Kings corner.

They mention the baggage train but no exact mention of King John personnel wealth?

Another interesting thing according to the patent and close rolls for October 1216, King John on Oct 6 Boston to Swineshead, Oct 7 Swineshead to Spalding,Oct 9 Spalding to Kings Lynn. Oct 12 Kings Lynn to Swineshead.

What we cannot account for is the days between the 9th and 12 of October?

So yes it is an interesting subject full of many questions.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20662.msg137272.html#msg137272

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Rockingham Castle(3).jpg
Rockingham church SM.jpg
THE HOBART MERCURY MON 11TH JAN 1937 KING JOHNS CROWN JEWELLS ROCKINGHAM CASTLE.jpg
awest australian thurs 26 nov 1936 king johns jewells rocking ham castle.jpg
rockingham castle 1899.jpg

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:23:55 am by hardluck »
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 06:10:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Hardluck, thanks for the info. I had not heard of the Rev. Plant, although I do know Rockingham Castle was a Norman Castle built over an Anglo-Saxon lodge.
 I was born and spent my youth about six miles from both Jarrow and Wearmouth (St. Peters) and I know there is a question: did Beda accompany the monks of Jarrow on their vist to see Pope Sergius in Rome in the year 701.?.
 Back to King John, He had defeated his enemy's at Carlise and on his return journey would have have crossed from Penrith to Scots Corner, the Roman road to Newark and hence to Bishops Lynn, (as it was the called). Too far to call in at Rockingham Castle.
 The plan by the Pope to assassinate John is an old wives tale about a 'brother' at Swineshead Abby who allegedly give John poisoned plums and cider but John was already ill with a bout of dissentry. There was no love lost between some sections of the church and the King at this time, these Abby's were obligated to give shelter and food to their monarchs who seldom left money for the services provided.
 As you know John died at Newark two days later. His Regalia was not used in the coronation of his son, so where is it ?, the mystery goes on.     Rider

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20662.msg137278.html#msg137278

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:18:15 am by fredio »
Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 05:46:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Fredio

There are Two other sources for the story.

Roger of Wendover wrote Flores Historiarun in 1235 Tells of the loss of King Johns Baggage train in 1216.

Abbot Ralph of Coggeshall's Chronicon Anglicanum in 1218 also wrote about Kings Johns lost treasure.  It is assumed that he obtained information of the disaster from brother monks at Swinehead. Perhaps he was source of the poison plumb legend?

All of the older accounts mentions the Wellstream and make no mention of the wash.Over the centuries the wellstream completely disappeared from the maps as the topography changed.

Knowledge of area and lay of the land in understanding the history behind the story. You have an unique opportunity to research this story as it is in your back yard so to speak. Nothing beats local knowledge. In regards to your comments

I believe I know the location of the loss , within ten square metres.

I am assume that is based on an archeological dig that discovered a crossing point in the medieval layers some time ago?

There is no doubt that treasure was missing by simply reviewing the Patent rolls. There was dozens of gold goblets, Flagons, Basins, candelabra, Pendants, Jewel encrusted belts, Coronation regalia and the regalia King Johns grandmother worn as the empress. The great Crown. A golden wand with a dove, the sword of Tristram and the imperial regalia of  empress Matilda. None of these items were in the inventory of regalia when Henry III was crowned in 1220.

What becomes of this treasure is a mystery indeed.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20662.msg137584.html#msg137584

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: