[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:48:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Growing up on the west end of Galveston island I knew dozens of Lafitte treasure legends by the time I was 11 or 12 years old. The one that everyone talk about was the treasure buried at Lafitte's Grove, mainly because the state placed a marker at what was thought to be the grove in the 1930's. Many treasure hunters and researchers now believe the marker is in the wrong place but more on that later.

The legend:

Around 1820, Lafitte reportedly married Madeline Regaud, possibly the widow or daughter of a French colonist who had died during an ill-fated expedition to Galveston.

In 1821, the schooner USS Enterprise was sent to Galveston to remove Lafitte from the Gulf after one of the pirate's captains attacked an American merchant ship. Lafitte agreed to leave the island without a fight, and in 1821 or 1822 (March 3 1821??) departed on his flagship, the Pride, burning his fortress and settlements and reportedly taking immense amounts of treasure with him. All that remains of Maison Rouge is the foundation, located at 1417 Harborside Drive near the Galveston wharf.

The night before Lafitte sailed away several of his men heard him walking the floor and saying MY TREASURE MY TREASURE at the GROVE. The next morning after Lafitte set sail several men that stayed behind hightailed it down to the grove to dig up the treasure. From Maison Rouge to the grove is around 15 miles so Lafitte must have left some of his horses and wagons with Campbell and the others. Legend say they found and recovered the treasure but thats where it gets interesting.

Frank Dobie was probable the first to report this legend in writing. In his version the treasure was a chest containing Lafitte's dead wife.

Thats pretty much the accepted legend in treasure circles today. BUT as a kid I heard several others that I will add.

One tells that a chest of coins was found and split between the pirates who then went their different  ways never to be heard from again.

But the one I like is Capt. Campbell and 2 others recovered the treasure and moved it to to Virgina Point where Campbell kill the others and keep the treasure for his own. History of Capt Campbell here:  

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.wtblock.com/wtblockjr/james.htm

If and I have my doubts there was any treasure at the grove I betting Campbell got it.

The Grove

Inscription on road side marker: Fort and settlement established here in 1817 by the freebooter Jean Lafitte who maintained headquarters here while preying on shipping in the Gulf of Mexico. The Battle of the Three Trees was fought here between Lafitte's men and Karankawa Indians, February, 1821. Fort abandoned and burned in 1821 by Lafitte after his departure was ordered by the United States government.

Erected 1936 by State of Texas Highway

Nobody doubts that Lafitte had an outpost on the west end of the island in fact legend tell us that he had several on the island plus one or more on Bolivar peninsula. What is in doubt is that the marker is in the wrong place.  Many now believe that the real grove is at the edge of the state park at 13 mile road not where the marker is in Mr. Willies front yard. The area at 13 mile road is a little higher ground plus its much closer to the gulf so it would be a much better look out post. This is one of the things we may never know for sure unless we can build a time machine guess I will talk with GD about building us one of them.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36940.msg227091.html#msg227091

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:57:52 am by seldom »

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:11:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the insight Seldom. It would not surprise me if the marker was in the wrong place as I've seen it happen here many a time. Sometimes I think it's done just to discourage anyone looking. Often times locals find clues and understand the lay of the land in ways that give a better perspective of where things were.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36940.msg227139.html#msg227139

Offline jhd
Bronze Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Etrac, AT Pro, F75, Propointer, large industrial magnet on a rope.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 06:36:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

I agree they get the facts wrong. Which is a plus if your looking for something.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36940.msg227151.html#msg227151

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 11:50:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Another great synopsis, Seldom.....and I enjoyed the link about Campbell.   For my part unless old charts show a major difference in the coast line, I'd say those who think the Grove marker was misplaced are probably correct.  The new favorite spot is more logical.

And speaking of logical.....count me in the Frank Dobie camp.  From what I know of Lafitte, I really can't see him "walking the floor and saying MY TREASURE MY TREASURE at the GROVE" over a  chest or two of gold and jewels.   The man was too smart, too cunning, and too cautious to be so careless, especially when he had as much time to leave the island (3 months) as the negotiated terms supposedly gave him.   He would have already transferred the treasure or he would have already formulated plans to come back and recover it himself later (easy enough for him to do given how much experience he had in the northwestern waters of the Gulf of Mexico).   On the other hand, the thought of having to abandon the body of a wife he had only recently married and had lost somehow shortly after the marriage could have very easily have put a man of his supposed qualities into that kind of mood...which would have only gotten worse as the date to leave got closer and all of the other essential planning had been completed and no longer occupied his thoughts and distracted him from the finality of having to leave her buried on Galveston while he was forced to abandon the island.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36940.msg227239.html#msg227239

Offline foolsgold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 12:20:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

very interesting, will have to check out the foundation of Maison Rouge next time i am down that way
love to hear the stories and backgrounds of this stuff
funny how the "telephone game" is so much a part of what we do...someone hears a story, and it gets passed along, twisting and turning all the way to you!
as with any story or legend, i sure would love to know the truth about what may or may not have been left behind.

thanks for the write up, another good one!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36940.msg227275.html#msg227275

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 01:28:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Another great tale, Seldom!  Thanks!  I always find your treasure legends interesting and entertaining!                      Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36940.msg227281.html#msg227281

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: