[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: October 28, 2009, 03:58:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all

Here's one of stories I found in my travels when searching for some thing else. it takes you back to another time.

The 1930?s era is all but a distant memory to our parents, grandparents and even great Grandparents for some. It was the era of the Great Depression with a lack of jobs lack of hope and for some the great struggle to overcome. It was the era that toughened up people for the horrors that were yet to come.

Perhaps even our own time is an ominous warning of what is yet to come for us?

It was an era that spawned countless stories in the newspapers of treasure stories from all parts of the world. Was there any truth in these stories from the 1930?s? Or was it some vain attempt of newspapers to entice poverty stricken nations to believe in dreams. To me it is the Era of Humphrey Bogart and the Maltese falcon and the later Iconic stories set in that era of Raiders of the lost Ark etc. That inspired many to romance about fortune and glory that dominated that some how lost decade.

There was real life expeditions to Coco Islands and the pacific, South America, Lassiter in Australia a whole host of men of  all ages and nationalities roaming the countryside looking for work and any odd job that came their way, all dreaming of fortune glory and any treasure they could find.

One such story is pretty much lost to history. It has not been heard about for over 70 years. In the Canberra Times dated 19th may 1931 a strange story filtered through diplomatic circles about an alleged discovery of a Lost City in the deserts of the Kalahari in Africa.

The lost City of the Kalahari

Mr. Piet Grobler minister for lands in South Africa set upon an expedition to the Kalahari Desert to look for an ancient lost city alleged to be buried there. The Lost City was first described by an American man called Farini. Not much is known about him. He and written a book in 1871, claiming he had discovered a lost city in the Kalahari Desert.

It is from Farini?s 1871 book we have this description of his discovery. He related this story that his caravan of a few white men and Hottentot natives were heading from a North West direction came across a small hill with a long line of stones resembling the Great Wall of China. The Stones were of enormous size and once side has looked like it had been faced and had cement attached to it in places.

They followed the wall for about 1 mile and discovered it was semi circle inside the wall was oval structures that had small entrances. Farini set to work his natives in an excavation and found a floor and what appeared to a Plinth of which the lower portion was fluted. They Search for any sign of script but found none. Farini natives became superstitious and refused to dig further. Farini did sketches and took some photographs of the site. This is allegedly in his book.

Farin believed that there was at one time in history a chain of forts for a people came here in search and trade in gold and gems and the network stretched across Africa.

The account of the lost city was verified the bush people and by a surveyor by the name of Mr Roger Jackson who claimed that some natives found a strange idol in the Kalahari that resembled a Buddha that was given to a missionary and sold.

Another man known by the name of Anderson is to have known a lot about it. And Gert Low a man who accompanied Farini also mentioned the lost city to Mr Boreherds of Upington. It appears by all accounts the ruins cover an area much larger than the ruins at Zimbabwe.

Interesting enough there is a story of a free booter called Scotty Smith who spoke of the locality and not of location who claimed the shifting sands reburies the city and from time to time reveals itself again.

The South African minister of lands also said there is speculation about there was perhaps a chain of enclosures or forts crossing across the lower half of Africa. It this story true or another tale of treasure fermented by the imaginations of desperate people from a desperate time?

As strange as the story is I have never been able to trace this rare book as the article never mentioned the name of this book. It is kind of romantic to believe that perhaps some where out there is still lost cities to find in the deserts of the Kalahari? One can imagine one?s self on entering a lost city lost time only discovered by those who dared to dream.

But the shifting sands of the Kalahari claims her own and she chooses when and how she reveals her hidden treasures, only take it away again to taunt us like the flirting lady she is.

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56174.html#msg56174

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

kalahari-desert-wallpapers.jpg
lost city of the kalahari desert the camberra times tue 19 may 1931 p1.jpg
lost city of the kalahari desert the camberra times tue 19 may 1931 p3.jpg

Offline DragunX5
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites Prizm VI - DetectorPro Headhunter Pulse
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 06:58:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great Stuff as always Hardluck   Wink

Deserts are on of the worlds greatest mysteries of the world and no doubt there are
many secrets hidden there. With the constant shifting of the sands, erasing all evidence
of anything the desert has clamied whether it be crashed aircrafts, lost travellers, escaping theives,
hidden egyptian structures and tombs....the mind boggles at the sheer amount of secrets it holds  Shocked

Being one of the most dangerous places in the world not many brave the hunt for history.

Maybe the desert has revealed the city a few times, just on one there to see it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56187.html#msg56187

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 09:18:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by hardluck
Hello all

Here's one of stories I found in my travels when searching for some thing else. it takes you back to another time.
Hardluck  Wink

Wo! Kalahari! When I first saw this, I was thinking Takla Makan! (Which is in China!)

I heard of a couple of cities, in the Takla Makan, also circa 1930 of the Roy Chapman Andrews era.... the guy that was finding dinosaur bones and eggs in northern China.

I have been looking at the Takla Makan, for  some time, with Google Earth and it is very interesting!

I can see sand buried buildings but most have a buried, round, structure which, in modern areas, seems to be a horse corral. But I also found a multi-building construction that may be in the process of being excavated. Since then, I have found some others, which are super-faint marks, possibly walls, which I will find and upload.... tomorrow? I am not sure how they will look converted to a size that I can upload, but direct viewing through Google earth show faint races that might be remains of fortifications.

I also found a strange structure on the Afghan - Iran border, kind of like a small Mayan temple, in shape, obviously clay or clay brick. Maybe no treasure there, its a poor country.  Shocked

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56310.html#msg56310

goldigger

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 05:08:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Goldigger

Ah Takla Makan! One thing I always wanted to do is travel the silk road. There are many buried temples and lost cities of the deserts of western China. A really amazing part of the world.

There is a lake called Lop Nor in northern Tibet I think which is recorded as a wandering lake over the centuries due to different weather pattens that the lake a moved and flooded an ancient city which was once on its shores of this lake.

A region I like to add to my bucket list   Grin

As for Afghanistan it might be a poor country today, but in its the past it was a source of Emeralds before the Emerald discoveries in Columbia. Many empires with Kings and army's such as Alexander the great have come and gone, all tried to tame her and all paid a price.

I would love to see your pictures of the Takla Makan region.

Hardluck.  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56343.html#msg56343

Offline DragunX5
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites Prizm VI - DetectorPro Headhunter Pulse
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 07:58:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey

heres a not so good image of the TaklaMakan in China marked A and B.

Thats a lot of sand.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56366.html#msg56366

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

TaklaMakan Region.jpg

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 10:34:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The Lost City was first described by an American man called Farini.

Enjoyed the post - good read. I think Farini was the Great Farini, known for his high wire performance across Niagara Falls, initially searching for diamonds in that desert. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56448.html#msg56448

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:18:09 pm by Sue »
Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 12:35:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

WOW! Thats a HUGE desert.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56467.html#msg56467

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 05:13:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello everyone.

Dragunx5, Thank you for posting the picture. It is a very interesting part of the world.

Sue, I think you are correct with the Great Farini ( William Lenard Hunt ) in his biography it states that he was the first white man to walk across the Kalahari desert and mentions his unconfirmed discovery of the lost city of the Kalahari.

Well done sue! give yourself a pat on the back for me.

Hopefully I can find the book he allegedly wrote and the see the photographs of the lost city.

Hardluck  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56482.html#msg56482

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 03:49:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Goldigger

Ah Takla Makan! One thing I always wanted to do is travel the silk road. There are many buried temples and lost cities of the deserts of western China. A really amazing part of the world.

There is a lake called Lop Nor in northern Tibet I think which is recorded as a wandering lake over the centuries due to different weather pattens that the lake a moved and flooded an ancient city which was once on its shores of this lake.

A region I like to add to my bucket list   Grin

As for Afghanistan it might be a poor country today, but in its the past it was a source of Emeralds before the Emerald discoveries in Columbia. Many empires with Kings and army's such as Alexander the great have come and gone, all tried to tame her and all paid a price.

I would love to see your pictures of the Takla Makan region.

Hardluck.  Huh?

Very good. Lots of thread, today!

I had some more looks at the Takla Makan, yesterday and captured a few pics, so depending on how big they are (total) I will upload as much as I can.... PLUS an image of the famous silk road, showing thousands of wheel tracks!  Shocked

I also looked at  the Kalahari AND Namib deserts, but did not see anything not modern.... lots of mining. I will keep looking.  Great

I have several scenes from the vicinity of a natural barrier, that runs across the Takla Makan, a couple from Afghanistan (the yellow mark, if it appears, in one is the Iran-Afghan border,) and if I have the room, one from the Sahara of an object about 2.4 miles long.  Shocked

goldigger

LO:

top pic: the ancient road, still used

pic 2: some of the sand buried buildings, on the road.

pic 3: Very deeply buried in N.Afghanistan

pic 4: close to the Afghan - Iran border

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56518.html#msg56518

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Afghan3.jpg
Ancient road.jpg
afghan2.jpg
bldgs1.jpg
bldgs3.jpg

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 04:08:45 pm by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 06:19:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

goldigger, interesting pictures. Even though those roads seem close to those ruins, I imagine someone, passing by, probably wouldn"t have any idea they were even there.

hardluck, A book by Farini/Hunt, Through the Kalahari Desert, has a full view on books.google.com. I was supposed to be working awhile ago <sigh> but I didn"t see his description of the city. Admit I got sidetracked with a section on diamonds. My connection here at home is not fast, but thought I would pass along the link.

Please Register or Login

http://books.google.com/books?id=TzUPAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Through+the+kalahari+desert#v=onepage&q=&f=false

This story about the lost city gets stranger the more I read. Some think the city was partially destroyed when the continent shifted - calling it almost an Atlantis. Others say Farini doctored rocks with lines. The following book has photos of what that author thinks Farini saw. Another google book. Page 409 or so of Lost Cities & Ancient Mysteries Africa and Arabia by David Hatcher Childress. Modified this post as the other link extended the text box. Sue

Please Register or Login

http://books.google.com/books?id=prq6ykijSyQC&pg=PP1&dq=Lost+cities+%26+ancient+mysteries+of+Africa+%26+Arabia#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56536.html#msg56536

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:25:00 pm by Sue »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Jump to: