[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2010, 12:58:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Problem is my back shelf is getting pretty crowded  Cheesy stuff is starting to fall off the sides!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg107373.html#msg107373

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2010, 01:30:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Grin I don't believe that I have seen some of your projects and they seem to be rather well done and well thought of.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg107379.html#msg107379

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2010, 01:42:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Xavier Smiley

Did you ever come to any conclusions as to if the plane crashed or was "misplaced" on purpose?

I wonder if any of the local populations in the suspect area have found or seen wreckage? Sounds like the area is fairly remote?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg107380.html#msg107380

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2010, 02:29:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well lets face it all the facts that we have at the moment prove that there is no wreckage and no one have ever been found. I was thinking that for a pilot that has been doing the route on many occasions and that has been flying for military for the past six or more years knows al the details and how to get past them with out being seen so why fly to Accra when you can fly to Alger get rid of the plane sell the gold and adopt the identity of a missing in action and then live happily ever after. Well that is one scenario the other that I like a lot is that they went down in a crater and were never found no wreckage and if there were survivors well they found a way to die. Ho and no one ever found the plane because the crater is filed with water and that is scenario two and this is the scenario that I think could be the one that we should be looking at ...there is a storm they fly out to sea have problems with the engine and make a forced landing in the water the air craft sinks and no wreckage is ever found. Ho yes  and of course they sink fast due to all the gold on board.

Xavier   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg107390.html#msg107390

Xavier

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2010, 03:17:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The water crash scenario makes a lot of sense.   If I remember correctly DC-3's/C-47's, despite their ability to fly when they shouldn't, wouldn't have been very seaworthy and would not stay afloat for long even empty.   Add to that the fact that the pilot, co-pilot, and every passenger on board with flight experience was Army Air Force (no Naval Aviators) and the odds of their being able to execute a safe waterditching even under the best of circumstance becomes very close to nil   (not something they would have learned and practiced during flight training---except possibly as a book drill).  Chances are even a naval aviator would have a had time keeping the craft afloat under the scenario Xavier lays forth.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg107402.html#msg107402

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2010, 08:17:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

One thing you cannot take away from the Dc-3 Dakota is that they are a tough old bird. There is no greater testament to the longevity of an aircraft that was designed in 1930's and some are still flying today. Personally I still have a soft spot for them.

They seemed to have a better survivability than most even with water landings. Here is one that crashed in the Solomon islands.

hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg107547.html#msg107547

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DC-3wreckExuma1.jpg

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2010, 02:21:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

One landed with half a wing missing. But in rough seas? any how they were not made to float for very long. But they were great planes that's for sure

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg107598.html#msg107598

Xavier

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2010, 03:55:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Musing on those thoughts....

Thinking back to my military experience as a driver I didn't have a need to know the contents of my payload. The people loading the plane probably had no idea either, but the guards might or might not have. All they would need to know was that the shipment was important and needed to make it to the destination safely. The military is really big on the loose lips concept.

If they made a water landing or crash somewhere some wreckage should have showed up? Perhaps during that period wreckage was everywhere? If there was a serious search you would think something would have been found. Especially if the landing was rough.

So if they decided to fly over the ocean what is the logical course? Simply skirting the storm or perhaps a point to point since they needed landmarks to tell where they were in those days? What landmarks stand out as reference points a pilot might use? If there was a storm or overcast they would likely try to stay under it so as not to miss their stop I would guess. I need to lay this out on a map to really understand the geography.

If they landed in a crater how many sizeable crater lakes lie in the target area? Perhaps they attempted an emergency water landing? But then why no signal? Back to whatever happened had to be either planned or sudden.

hmmmm

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg107608.html#msg107608

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2010, 04:28:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I went to Ghana once but I was I Ivory coast a few times and the vegetation and terrain are very similar so is the climate while I was in Ghana I experienced a weather change from a nice sunny day to a down pour but in Ivory coast I saw the roads transformed into rivers within seconds never have I seen so much water in so little time.
On that fateful day that the B47 disappeared the weather forecast was scattered rain fall and thunder so it could very well be like it was stated on a few occasions that he may have flown under the cloud cover and got sucked down very suddenly. Now to find an aircraft in that vegetation is like trying to find a pin in a hay stack as for the craters I was looking with google earth at Ghana and Liberia and I did find some I also found a lake close to Liberia but I don't have a good graphics card on my PC and therefore could not make nice close up's but they are there.
When they did the search they asked the locals if they had seen an aircraft or heard one they all said no but if it was raining then they would have all been inside and with tin roofs I doubt it very much that any one could have heard any thing now not all have tin roofs but even on thatch roof there is noise and probably enough to smother the sound of an aircraft unless of course it's over head. And also remember that there were important people on board that probably knew what the cargo was.  The list of all the passengers was posted and I think that there is a file in the download area take a look if you like.

Xavier         

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg107610.html#msg107610

Xavier

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2010, 07:10:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I took a look with that view from above tool, it's slightly better than google earth but not much. So if you fly in a straight line from Monrovia to Accra and continue on you end up out over the ocean. What if they overflew thier destination because they went over the cloud cover, miscalculated their speed and ditched in the ocean? You would think they would be able to send a signal if so but perhaps the storm interfered. Just a thought as it's happened before even with todays technology... 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10242.msg108030.html#msg108030

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Up
Jump to: